• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Any chance of a rethink on the variable-width design?

Engaged ,
Sep 18, 2011 Sep 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm finding it difficult to read the new forum because of the new variable-width design. I have a 15" widescreen monitor and I have to physically move my head to read long sentences. I can't imagine what it's like on a 30" screen.

It's much easier to move your eyes / head vertically when reading so a lack of horizontal space is an advantage when it comes to readability. It's also much easier to skim through it. This is why newspapers and magazines are printed in columns instead of across the entire page.

Any chance this can be changed back or at the very least able to be switched off in preferences?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jury is out on that one.

The fixed width was the biggest complaint about the old version. I totally agree with you about column width, but was pulverized by people demanding the ability to set their own width.

Let's see how the comments go this time around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm fine with it being wider, I just think it shouldn't be limitless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

Jury is out on that one.

The fixed width was the biggest complaint about the old version. I totally agree with you about column width, but was pulverized by people demanding the ability to set their own width.

Let's see how the comments go this time around.

What about the fonts issues.  Some people have already complained that fonts are very small on a larger screen.  Any chance of increasing a point or two to the fonts sizes?  I am OK at present but this may be due to the screen I am using;  On newer systems this might be a serious problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Sep 19, 2011 Sep 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the new style. Makes it easier to read on my 17" Laptop screen. Bless you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's another vote for the variable width. I had not complained about the old fixed width, but this works well for me - so far.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 21, 2011 Sep 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The variable width is just too much for me but I can see I'm in the minority here. If anyone else wants a return to a smaller width, here's how to do it in Firefox. It's probably similar in other browsers.

1. Navigate to ~/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/*.default/chrome (or Windows equivalent) and open usercontent.css in a text editor. If the file doesn't exist, create it.

2. Paste the following into the file:

@-moz-document url-prefix(http://forums.adobe.com) {

#jive-body-main {

max-width:1200px;

}

}

3. Restart Firefox. If the width needs adjusting, tweak it and restart Firefox again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like the variable width.

If the content becomes too wide to comfortably read I'll adjust the size of the window.  At least I now have the choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you need to adjust your browser window to make the site look correct, that is a design flaw in my opinion. But if Adobe makes it an adjustable preference, everyone's happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering, if you don't like the width being so wide, why not make the browser window smaller?  Do you just not prefer to use anything other than a maximized window?

Personally, I prefer to use non-maximized windows and I prefer the variable width design as I can make it *just right*.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a maximized window on my 15" but I use non-maximized windows on larger displays. My monitor's native resolution is 1680x1050.

I know I can resize the browser window or use a custom stylesheet or Greasemonkey script to fix it. My main point is not that it's unfixable, it's that I shouldn't have to fix Adobe's site to make it more readable. I don't have to fix any other site. That's just a cop-out.

As I said earlier, if they make it a pref everyone's happy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jon Chappell wrote:

I use a maximized window...

I know I can resize the browser window ...

Honestly, I really see this as a situation where you have chosen to work in a way that doesn't suit your needs.  I just don't see how it's Adobe's problem.

Ever hear the old joke, "Doc!  It hurts when I do this!"

"Don't do that!"

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have to do this for any other site, so why should I have to make changes to my browser to accommodate a single site that is badly designed? Also, while my browser is maximized, I only have a 15" monitor. It's not like I'm doing this on a gigantic screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some of us think it's better designed than other sites. 

In any case, you've done the right thing by letting the forum management know your thoughts here.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a joke, right?  The absolute worst part of the Adobe Forums once they switched to Jive was the very narrow formatting of the page.  If Stylish wasn't able to offset that, I'd have given up posting here long ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said earlier, I'm fine with it being wider than before or remaining variable-width as long as there is some kind of reasonable limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also think it's too wide - it needs a limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also think it's too wide - it needs a limit.

It has one, finally the appropriate one.

The edge of your screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I entered this thread, I  noticed for the first time the new rating stars on the opening message of threads. They were all grayed out when I came in and, although I absolutely fail to see the point of giving everyone the faculty of rating opening messages, I was puzzled to see them grayed out, as this makes them unusable (which, exept for eliminating them, is in my opinion the best thing that could be done with them).

Anyway, I started exploring to see if they could be made operative, when all of a sudden, BINGO! All the stars became colored, and when they did, also saw that I had marked the OM as Poor.

So, Jon Chappell, please accept my apologies. I don't feel qualified to rate your message as Poor, specially without knowing what the other categories are. This was just an accident due to a poorly designed new feature which I would promptly eliminate if I had the power to decide. Together with points awarded to "correct" and "helpfull" answers, as the original poster is not always the best qualified person to give an opinion on this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

When I entered this thread, I  noticed for the first time the new rating stars on the opening message of threads. They were all grayed out when I came in and, although I absolutely fail to see the point of giving everyone the faculty of rating opening messages, I was puzzled to see them grayed out, as this makes them unusable (which, exept for eliminating them, is in my opinion the best thing that could be done with them).

I'm really not sure how they're supposed to even be used here. What are we supposed to rate? How good or bad of a question the OP asks? Something else?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rating the replies would actually be more useful because you could highlight helpful answers. I have no idea what use rating the opening post serves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines