• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Are we there yet? Are we there yet?

Advocate ,
May 09, 2009 May 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hasn't the scheduled time for the forum update been and gone? I see no breadcrumbs

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , May 09, 2009 May 09, 2009

Kath-H wrote:

I see no breadcrumbs

I see them and love them already.  Very useful.   One major irritant is gone.

Thank you John!   

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is fantastic!  Thank you!

The forum looks and works soooooo much better now!     

AAA_Adobeforums_threadindex_b.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking at your screen cap, I bet you would like this one, too. It hides that gigantic, redundant white-on-black Forums breadcrumb at the top. I thought I had posted it before, but possibly not.

/*************************************************************/
/*** Adobe Jive Forums -  Hide white-on-black Forum button ***/
/*************************************************************/
@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document domain("forums.adobe.com") {
  #adobe-header-forums-breadcrumb {
     display:none;
  }
}

In the interest of consolidation Eric @ MCA is always free to add my Stylish CSS sheets to his heavyboots collection at http://userstyles.org/users/21328 . Your mission, should you decide to accept it, ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another great enhancement, Mark. Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there pleasing anyone?

One of the biggest threads on the Forum Comments, is the fussing about wanting properly working Breadcrumbs at the top of page, and at the end of the page.

Now we have people coming out of the wood work with scripts to kill breadcrumbs, not only at the bottom, but at the top as well.

I believe some folks just live to fuss, then when they get what they want, they want to kill what the wanted. There is just no satifying some people.

They have cured the problem I was dissatisfied with. And since this change today and the one they had during the middle of the week, they have gone a long way to reducing the speed issue, for me ist almost nonexistent. (and I am on a lowly 1mbps Upload/Download DSL connection.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

I believe some folks just live to fuss,

Nope, there just happen to be intellectually challenged, overweight redneck liars who don't understand what they read. 

No one is suggesting getting rid of the breadcrumbs at the top.  This last enhancement offered by Mark gets rid of that butt ugly black square that screams Forums well above the breadcrumbs at the top.  The previous one simply pulled the bottom breadcrumbs closer to the last message.  Not one script eliminate either the top or the bottom breadcrumbs.

You must love the taste of your foot in your mouth, JonesCET.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what the latest script accomplishes:

AAAAAAAAA.jpg

Note the unchanged presence of the breadcrumbs at the top and the absence of the ugly black square:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

This last enhancement offered by Mark gets rid of that butt ugly black square that screams Forums well above the breadcrumbs at the top.

And it is entirely redundant since the same links are in the nicely formatted breadcrumbs less than 100 pixels down.

The previous one simply pulled the bottom breadcrumbs closer to the last message.  Not one script eliminate either the top or the bottom breadcrumbs.

Yep. I don't know how anybody could think otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Now we have people coming out of the wood work with scripts to kill breadcrumbs, not only at the bottom, but at the top as well.

That is complete fiction!  Made up by a very weak mind.

One sigle user, an excentric Hungarian geek living in Romania, blocked the bottom breadcrumbs with Adblock Plus—not a script.  That's all.

The latest script offered by Mark leaves the top breadcrumbs intact.

As I mentioned earlier, you must get up awfully early in order to cram so many stupidities in a single day, PjonesCET.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

That is complete fiction!  Made up by a very weak mind.

One sigle user, an excentric Hungarian geek living in Romania, blocked the bottom breadcrumbs with Adblock Plus—not a script.  That's all.

As I mentioned earlier, you must get up awfully early in order to cram so many stupidities in a single day, PjonesCET.  

Well the fuss was ll about the bottom breadcrumbs and even in the above quote there is this:

and as for the Black square. I don't see anything wrong with it. Its no big deal. When I click a link in an email notification unless its the the very first item; I don't even see it.

And the Hungarian fellow killed the bottom Breadcrumb item on same day as introduced.

I'm not as dumb a redneck as you think.

Everyone had gotten so accustomed to WebX format that they are acting like a spoiled 2 month old that can no longer get to their favorite pacifier. Change is inevitable And if we are all here in 5 years when they go to something else, then the same people will be fussing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

I'm not as dumb a redneck as you think.

PjonesCET, you have no idea how dumb you are!  We're aware of your exemplary ignorance of your condition.

PjonesCET wrote:

they are acting like a spoiled 2 month old that can no longer get to their favorite pacifier.

I suppose you think saying that makes you cool, but it just gives away the company you keep.  In any event, it certainly doesn't help your cause, whatever that is.

PjonesCET wrote:

and as for the Black square. I don't see anything wrong with it.

No, of course you wouldn't.      

AAA_Adobeforums_threadindex_c.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't find that obnoxious. after all I only see it if I scroll to the top. I don't go to the forums through web browser directly. I click on link in email notification and using SM it bounces me to the thread linked. so 90 percent of the time I don't even see it. and even when I do go to main directory its not that obnoxious to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

PjonesCET, you have no idea how dumb you are!  We're aware of your exemplary ignorance of your condition.

And you not as smart as you think you are either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

And you not as smart as you think you are either.

You wouldn't know smart if it hit you on the head, PjonesCET. 

My smallest toe on my left foot has more intellectual power than your entire brain—but that's not saying much either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

If you are getting that result - or even that concept - from anything I've posted, then you are doing something wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't say you were but there was one person today who already figured out how to kill them just a little while after they made changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

I didn't say you were but there was one person today who already figured out how to kill them just a little while after they made changes.

OK, so we've had 1 out of the 7 <whoops! now 8> participants in this thread as of this writing that hides the footer breadcrumbs. That is hardly "people coming out of the wood work."

I should have known better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

I see no breadcrumbs

I see them and love them already.  Very useful.   One major irritant is gone.

Thank you John!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not taking sides in any arguments.  Absolutely not. But as far as I'm concerned the forums seem fine to me, at least recently. Pages are loading much faster.  I am on dial-up and things seem good even though I'm going back and forth from forum to forum.  And I have no need for scripts that are used to block anything.  While I believe the points thing is pointless I just ignore it.  Again, not taking sides, I'm just a happy, non paying forums user.  But then again, I think Photoshop is magical.

Peace...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q Photo wrote:

…as far as I'm concerned the forums seem fine to me, at least recently.  Pages are loading much faster.  I am on dial-up and things seem good even though I'm going back and forth from forum to forum.

Everything is relative, Q.  If you're on dial-up, you may not notice the difference between these sluggish, hesitant new forums and the old WebCrossing forums when they were working properly, which was substantially more than half of the time.

Over there, for me going from one page to another one, or from one forum to another one or posting, was as instantaneous as changing channels on the TV with the remote.  It took well under one second over there; the progress bar on Firefox did not even get a chance to draw on the screen.  Here I get to the see the bar progressing, hesitating at the end and finally drawing the page in three to five seconds at best, in over one minute at worst.  That interval was practically unmeasurable in the old forums.

For me, the practical difference comes out to a ratio of 30:1.  I'm spending three times as much on these new forums as I used to on the old ones, yet I'm able to read and reply to only one tenth as many threads as before.  That is 30:1.

The worst part here is posting.  The more active you are, the more you get punished; lurkers don't have it quite as bad.  I see you're mostly a lurker.

When you post, you have to wait for the Reply Editor to appear and draw onscreen while you watch the forum's spinning gear, then the formatting bar draws on screen a bit later. Even as a miserable, lousy typist that I am, there are times when I have to wait for my typing to draw on screen; the delete key sometimes manages to delete only one character per second.  When you're done and hit Post, the wait can be anywhere from a few seconds to almost one minute.

A few seconds are a lot longer than the unmeasurable fraction of a second it took in the old forums.

The rest of the web is functioning very, very fast.  Visiting other forums and even some serious Uncle Sam pages where I have paid accounts, such as the Federal Judiciary's PACER a huge resource hog, is still like changing channels on a TV.

Sure, there are some nice features here, like the ability to embed images and send attachments, and the quoting format.  Scripts and AdblockPlus have made it even more pleasant, improving the interface and even the performance.  I had feared the scripts and hacks would slow me down, but after performing many tests both ways, I have determined that I'm saving a tiny bit of time as the hidden elements have to be downloaded anyway but not drawn.  A pleasant surprise.

At this point, only two items need fixing in my view:

1.— The ability to go directly to the last post read (a biggie), and

2.— The performance issues I just described in the preceding paragraphs of this post, also a BIG biggie.

The spelling checker is a joke and very slow, but that can be worked around by using an external spelling checker.  I don't think it's worth for John Cornicello and his team to spend any time and effort to try to get Jive to fix the spelling checker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It took this reply window 18 seconds to open and allow me to type.

The backspace is still slow at a rate of about one character per 1/2 second.

The thread itself (likely because of the number of posts?) took a good 22 seconds to load, just so I could read the last post.

I am on FiOS broadband.  Other forums do not take this long to load.  I noticed the last thing to load was the right side panel.  I would imagine just geting rid of some of that fluff would speed things up considerably.

I do thank you for the breadcrumbs at the bottom though. 

edit:  it took 22 seconds to post the reply and be able to view it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Hopper.

Your figures validate my description of what I'm experiencing.

As I've said—probably too many times already—I'm reading only about one tenth of what I used to.  I'm making very liberal used of the Mark All As Read button.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your complaints are legitimate. And I do lurk more than post.  I was simply stating that, for being on dial-up, most pages load quickly.  As fast or faster than old forums.  My spelling is rather poor so I type everything out in Word and copy/past to Reply Editor. 

My biggest complaint is that the R/E refuses to accept when I do a double return to create paragraphs.  Your post, to which I'm relying, is a great example of paragraphs used to make the post easy to read and is similar to what I intend but can't achieve.  Works sometimes and not others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Q Photo wrote:

I'm not taking sides in any arguments.  Absolutely not. But as far as I'm concerned the forums seem fine to me, at least recently.    pages are loading much faster.  I am on dial-up and things seem good even though I'm going back and forth from forum to forum.  . And I have no need for scripts that are used to block anything.  While I believe the points thing is pointless I just ignore it.  . Again, not taking sides, I'm just a happy, non paying forums user.   But then again, I think Photoshop is magical.

Peace...

If more of us had this outlook. We'd get a lot more done here on this form and others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

…We'd get a lot more done here on this form and others.

As would we if you didn't feel compelled to add so many of your posts with nothing new to add.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you worry about your own post.

I was commenting Q-Photo's reply, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines