• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attach File Gone?

LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2010 Feb 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it just me, or has the Attach File function disappeared from the lower-left of the forum edit screen? The Toolbar icons still seem to be in place and at last test functioned fine, but Attach File seems to be MIA.

Thanks,

Hunt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 22, 2010 Feb 22, 2010

See the announcement at the top of the forums (http://forums.adobe.com) and on the front page of the Comments Forum.

Toolbar icons for images and videos are still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add - this is with both Google Chrome and IE 7.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See the announcement at the top of the forums (http://forums.adobe.com) and on the front page of the Comments Forum.

Toolbar icons for images and videos are still there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hope its short -lived.

Most of the help I give, I frequently use screenshot illustrations to guide people to the settings.

while the camera works it greatly reduces the size and detail. of the image. I don't have to waste space on my website for full size images.

You know the saying, "1 picture is worth a thousand words".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

I'm fortunate, in that 99% of what I upload is a graphic, usually a screen-cap. I would not have noticed this, except that I was helping a user, who wished to upload his dxdiag report, or similar. He kept telling me that there was NO Attach File, and I kept telling him where to look, until I actually went and tried it. Wish that I had a "egg on face" smiley.

I will not really be affected by this, but others will.

Let's hope it's short lived.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like if we need such as your case you'll have to have them to send to a place like PhotoBucket. But that would compromise privacy. Will slow down tremendously.

I just recently started because a little while ago a fellow had uploaded some pdf's one was a self promotion for a pyramid scheme. the other threw up a yellow warning. I didn't it was supposed to be for windows users so I didn't even try to open it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

For me, the little "camera" icon works fine. That was why I was apoplectic, when IE lost that, with some fairly recent update. Chrome did fine, so all was good in my world. That is almost all that I use personally. Still, especially with folk, experiencing problems with the system and say PrPro, there are a lot of TXT files, that can prove very useful, and not take up 5000 lines of a post. Also, one can read at their leisure, and can format, if necessary for readability. They are the ones, for whom I have sympathy.

OTOH, I understand why Adobe would wish to plug ANY security loophole. Personally, I'd use the "nuclear option" on anybody, who would upload anything harmful, or inappropriate to the Adobe fora. Unfortunately, Adobe does not have drones overflying most of the globe, just looking to target such folk. Hey, a "few bad apples... "

Now, you indicate that some of the "stuff" that you see is targeted to PC users. Do you mean that you don't fall for those Nigerian scams on unknown relatives in far away places? What about you winning the Irish Lottery? Surely, some Mac-users have won that, eh?

I am just feeling bad that I missed the sticky here, but I was battling getting automatically logged-off every 5 mins. It has not been THAT bad in months. Just looked past it - egg on face...

Take care, and do not forget to feed those Seamonkeys!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Feb 23, 2010 Feb 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The camera Icon is Okay. it will do in a pinch and I still use it if the image I need to post is within the strict guidelines of the size limitations imposed. If image has to be larger though, Camera will shrink and compress to meet the guideline and often will make the text unreadable.

while this illustration has nothing to do with adobe, illustrates the disadvanges of Camera.

SeaMonkeypicture001.png

This is is about 1/2 the size it should be. Although it looks decent were it to posted as an attachment it would show at Full size. on some items it make item almost un readable.

I just hope the attacment item being missing - is short lived. But as with most things Adobe I fear not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

Yes, camera icon does function (as of Chrome for me), but many wish to post TXT and DOC/DOCX files for reports from utilities, like dxdiag, and Process Explorer.

I understand Adobe wanting to plug holes. From my standpoint, a pox on the house of anyone, who would post malicious files, but they seem to exist all around us.

Many decades ago, my wife had a Saab, with a high-end audio system. It had a system to totally disable it, should it be stolen. I wanted it to have a big dose of C4, to do more than just disable it - like blow the perps to kingdom come, if they stole it. Unfortunately, in the US, we'd have been libel for any harm to the folk stealing the sound system. Now, she has an MB S-550 AMG, with some more sophisticated anti-theft circuits. Since it has special seats that massage, heat, cool and do all sorts of things, I would love to know that if someone did steal it, maybe 220V would be applied to the driver's seat, with the press of a button on her key. OK, I am wishing horrible things upon evil-doers, but you get my point.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I know hat you mean. I'd like a switch or button in  the email system so that when a person sends something abd I could press that button it would go to his or her computer and burn the logic board, Hard drive and power suply to the pont where they have to get a new computer.  or the next bets thing have a law where anyone sends that has to spend time in prison breaking big rocks into little rock for not less than 50 years.  But it all in pipe dreams

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2010 Feb 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all

While it's not a perfect solution, Adobe does offer the Acrobat Connect site that allows anyone to upload fairly large files for others to have access to. And if you don't want an Adobe solution, before the Jive forums came along and offered the ability to upload, we used YouSendIt ( http://www.yousendit.com ) to upload files for sharing.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pre Jive we used HTML.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For Video and stills, I use YouSendIt. Where I see the need is with the casual user, who has a longish log file, with diagnostics, etc. When remotely troubleshooting someone's issue, things like that can be useful, and it does keep the post from becoming an opus. It's also easy to reformat and print out, so that one can work with the data more efficiently.

It was such a post, that alerted me to the "change." He had an error log that was many lines long. I kept telling him to just Attach that file as a DOC, and he kept telling me that there was no Attach File function. I had even uploaded a screen-cap showing it and the "camera" icon. How could he not find it with a picture? Well, guess whose face had egg all over it?  I tested in different browsers, but it was still gone. I surveyed the topics here, but completely overlooked the danged sticky, that told the whole story - more egg on face...

I've taken to getting the posters to just attach the files to me in an e-mail, and then try to both interpret the log files, and then distill any lines that could be part of the problem and post those lines back to the thread. Not efficient, especially if I miss something that another subscriber might have picked up on.

In the meantime, that will have to suffice, and we can only hope that Adobe can plug the security hole, and be able to return this feature.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip

I've been getting more into video lately. Currently building a YouTube channel for brief tips.

I saw a cool quote the other day that said something like:

If a picture is worth a thousand words, a video is worth a thousand pictures!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

As you get more deeply into the video thing, I offer you an invitation to stop by the PrPro forum. Lot of good people there.

Now, I only wish that Adobe Captivate and PrPro would come a bit more closely together, but that is a discussion for the Captivate, or the PrPro fora.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - there are options, that do interface more closely with PrPRo, but I like to keep things "in the family."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that info. Exactly what I needed. As I enter via bookmarks, I did not see that notice. With all the recent auto logging out, I probably just missed it elsewhere.

Appreciated - case closed,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines