Highlighted

Attach Image Not Working - 11-17-09

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it looks like the maintenance last night broke the ability to attach a JPG image directly to a post. Sizes are well within both pixel dimensions and also file size. Tried with a .PNG of the same ones.

Note that they will still Attach from the lower-left of the editing screen, and can be opened, but the "camera" icon attachment is now broken.

Fix one thing, and break others,

Hunt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Attach Image Not Working - 11-17-09

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it looks like the maintenance last night broke the ability to attach a JPG image directly to a post. Sizes are well within both pixel dimensions and also file size. Tried with a .PNG of the same ones.

Note that they will still Attach from the lower-left of the editing screen, and can be opened, but the "camera" icon attachment is now broken.

Fix one thing, and break others,

Hunt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Nov 17, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Picture 1.png

Tested, 1st time took forever and did not do anything..just stuck. Second time image went right on through.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested, 1st time took forever and did not do anything..just stuck. Second time image went right on through.

Thank you for testing. It's been several hours, so I need to test again. I kept getting an error message, and kept dropping the rez of the image, to no avail.

Block Quotes is acting funky, but with a few goes at it, things do seem to work.

The editing screen does hiccup and add a hard return without input, or warning, but a few deletes (depending on how fast one is typing) seems to hold it, until the next post.

Will try the "camera" icon attachment. It does appear that the pixel dimensions have been reduced, or my memory is failing.

Thanks,

Hunt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote on 11/17/2009 4:22 PM:

but the "camera" icon attachment is now broken.

WFM

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5)

Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091102 Firefox/3.5.5

For me, it's IE 7.0.5xxx.xxx.xxx. Will try now, and see how things go.

BTW - it seems that the "camera" icon image attachment sizes have been fairly heavily reduced. Is that my faulty memory (ain't talking RAM here), or has it been cut way back?

Thanks,

Hunt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2009 0
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already lost count of the JPG images I have posted today using the camera button. Too many effects/defects to report. And with not much attention paid to my reports?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already lost count of the JPG images I have posted today using the camera button.

Claudio,

Can I take this to mean that it HAS been working for you?

I'll go back to some recent posts with screen-caps and see if they are still up.

Thanks,

Hunt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 17, 2009 0
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you still seeing an issue with the "camera" image uploads?

I'm not aware of any changes in sizes. It should accept images up to 2048KB. I'm attempting to include a screen shot (PNG) with this post.

screen_shot_test.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply. I will try right now, but as of yesterday (Nov. 23, 2009), it would still not work.

Here's an attempt:

OK, no go with a 5KB JPEG from Adobe PS CS2, non-Progressive.

I have used the lower-left Attach File, so you can see, and test that file.

Does this help diagnose the issue?

Do not hesitate to contact me via PM, or off-line (POP in Profile), for any more info. Until Black Monday, the camera icon functioned perfectly, so long as I adhered to the stated conventions. Now, it no longer works for me.

Since Black Monday, I have cleaned my browser cache (IE 7.0.5xxx) over a dozen times, and have deleted all cookies almost as many times. I have also cleaned ALL Temp Internet files at least 4 times, if that helps.

Thank you, and any help will be greatly appreciated,

Hunt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the error message that I got, with that 5KB JPEG. I did not study each line, to make sure that they match 100%, but believe that they do, or are so very similar, that I did not detect any difference.

Hunt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Nov 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're on IE / Windows right? Could you open "regedit.exe", go to "Edit", "Find" and search for ".jpg". You should end up at the key "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.jpg". What does it say on the righ the Content Type is?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 24, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the very bottom of the overview page of the Testing forum is a new widget that shows some debugging info based on the cookies in your browser. Please make sure to include that information when you have test results.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochemd,

Thanks for this. I will not be able to get back to you, until later today, but will report.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem,

Thank you for the pointer to the widget. I have never used the test forum, so it'll probably take me some exploration. Will report back on this.

Appreciated, the tip,

Hunt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2009 0
Advisor ,
Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

premiere+pro.jpg

image013.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem,

Here is the full RegEdit rundown for JPEG. Note that I have expanded all screens, and linked to the hierarchy for demonstrative purposes only. Obviously, these attributes/settings would only be shown one at a time.

Hunt

PS - the camera still gave the error, as of 2:52 PM 11/26/09 AZT

[Edit] Sorry for the double post, but when I clicked on Attach File, the reply disappeared, and I assumed that I had lost it. I did another, but this time the Attach File worked, as it should, but this post did go through, sans any attachment.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Added [Edit]

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the full details for JPEG in RegEdit. I have shown the attributes/settings for all sub-items. Obviously, these would not be visible at the same time.

Hope that this helps.

Hunt

PS - the camera icon still yields the same error, as of 2:54 PM, 11/26/09 AZT

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt,

In this post, I see both images as missing.

Does this point up something on my end, or on the server-side?

Thanks,

Hunt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote on 11/26/2009 10:55 PM:

Here are the full details for JPEG in RegEdit.

Nothing wrong there. How about the other stuff? Other browsers,

computers, the debug output from

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments/testing

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem,

I could not find the above mentioned widget on the Test Page - Main, nor on the thread display screen, nor on the editing screen. Also, the "camera" icon is greyed out for me on the reply page.

Sorry that I am missing something here. Can you point me to what I am missing.

Thanks for helping with this issue,

Hunt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote on 11/26/2009 11:05 PM:

Sorry that I am missing something here. Can you point me to what I am missing.

Go to the URL I provided, scroll down to where it reads "Debugging

informstion". Copy the information.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem,

Disregard my previous post. When I went back to the Test Forum, I now have that widget - it was not there when I was posting there.

Attached is the info.

As for other computers, I will check from my workstation tomorrow. It has not been on the Adobe fora for about 3 mos., as it is not used for any Web work, unless totally necessary.

I'm a bit loath to install a bunch of other browsers on the laptop, but think that I have at least two others on the workstation, that are used with Dreamweaver testing. I could be wrong, as those might be emulators. If so, I have another machine, that has not been on the Adobe fora for at least two years, and I feel certain that it has other browsers, though much older versions. I would not mind adding test browsers to it though.

More to come...

Thank you,

Hunt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to testing group posted a test case f

ormated as a question.  check to make sure it wa

s shown as a question The camera Icon is greyed out (not active).

In here or acrobat forum Camera is active. Camera button i

s broken in testing.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 26, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem,

Here are the results of my tests:

Workstation

IE 7.0.5xxx, which has not been on the Adobe fora for over 3 mos. - same problem - camera icon will not attach and yields the same exact error message.

Third computer

IE 6, which has not been on the Adobe fora for over a year - same problem

IE 5, which has not been on the Adobe fora for many years, if at all - same problem

IE 3, which has never been on the Adobe fora - same problem

Laptop

Installed Google Chrome and logged-in. Camera icon works as before

While not a complete and empirical test, these results indicate that the Jive update has an issue with several versions of IE. For me, none will work with the camera icon attachment function, as did my IE 7 installations. Something in this update does not allow the camera icon to function in IE (any versions that I have. Note: no IE8, due to reported issues with some Adobe programs.)

I can use Google Chrome, but wonder what it is about IE, that Jive does not like, since the updates.

Thank you for your help, and for your patience, as I poked around the test page. I have no idea why the widget did not show initially, until I navigated from that page, and back (did not do a refresh after I posted, but upon posting the reply, the screen did refresh, as per normal, just without anything at the bottom of the page then. Note: this was with IE 7.0.5xxx.) Does Jive just dislike MS and IE? I know that many users do, but I've been using it just fine for decades.

Guess that it's Chrome for me, at least on the Adobe fora, since the update.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2009 0
Advisor ,
Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I duplicated Hunt's testing and get the same results.   I never use IE (spawn of the devil browser) so I did not see the camera bug before.

Worked as expected in FF and Chrome; broken in IE 7

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt,

Thanks for reporting.

I have two other observations, while using Chrome:

1.) the phantom line breaks have not happened in about 3 hours of use

2.) the issues that I had with the Block Quotes seems to also be gone

Now, it'll just take me some time and setup, to get Chrome to where I was used to having things in IE. Remember, much has been written about teaching us "old dogs" them "new tricks!"

For me a working status quo is a good thing. It appears that the latest Jive update really, really hates IE, at least through version 7.0.5.

Appreciated,

Hunt, still not comfortable with the Bookmarks in Chrome, but I'll either learn how to live with them, or will learn how to set them up to behave like IE 7.0.5

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote on 11/27/2009 6:13 PM:

While not a complete and empirical test, these results indicate that the Jive update has an issue with several versions of IE.

I dug up an old system with IE 7 in the office and I reproduced the

issue. Then I installed a packet sniffer on the system and did an upload

of the same file from Firefox and IE. Firefox worked, IE didn't.

What was interesting was what the packetsniffer got out of it. I

uploaded a png file which has a registered MIMe type of image/png so the

browser is supposed to upload it using image/png as the Content-Type

(the same content type that is mentioned in the error message). See the

official registry of assigned types:

http://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/image/

Firefox uploaded the file with a Content-Type of image/png and the

packetsniffer was able to detect not only that, but could disect the

image itself and detect things like the time stamp and resolution. On

the other hand IE uploaded the image with a Content-Type of image/x-png.

And not only did the forum give an error, my packetsniffer was unable to

disect the upload as an image either and accept it.

I would guess that the trigger to showing this error is that Jive is

becoming more strict in the MIME types it allows. Perhaps that is

configurable and JC can allow the additional types image/x-png and

image/pjpeg (which I noticed on a jpg upload from IE). But there

undoubtedly is a bug in the IE I tested where it uploads images with an

unofficial MIME type.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just finished using in Testing forum to see if Camera worked.

Camera Button did not work in Testing forum using:

SeaMonkey, FireFox, Camino, Opera, iCab, OmniWeb, Safari. All are the lastest version of each for the Macintosh Platform

I ven added a couple of attachments showing the Camera icon is dimmed (not working).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem,

Thank for both taking the time to test and also for reporting your findings.

So far, the move to Chrome has gotten the mentioned things back, and the refresh rate seems to be higher. However, today is not a good one to test forum responses, due to Thanksgiving long-weekend in the US.

I appreciate your efforts and everyone's help.

Testing is still in progress. I think that when I learn Chrome and manipulate the Options/Preferences a bit, I'll just stick with this. At least other IE users should be able to benefit from this thread.

Hunt - now my browser matches my pate - Chrome!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 27, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Nov 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would guess that the trigger to showing this error is that Jive is becoming more strict in the MIME types it allows. Perhaps that is configurable and JC can allow the additional types image/x-png and image/pjpeg (which I noticed on a jpg upload from IE). But there undoubtedly is a bug in the IE I tested where it uploads images with an unofficial MIME type.

It's 'by design', for some reason:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms775147(VS.85).aspx

Uploaded MIME Types

When uploading files from the client to the Web server, Windows Internet Explorer uses FindMimeFromData to determine a MIME type. Where possible, FindMimeFromData returns hard-coded values from the list of Known MIME Types rather than relying on the MIME type value associated with the file extension in the system registry. In some cases, the detected MIME type can differ from the generally accepted value for backwards compatibility, as shown in the following table:

Standard MIME Type FindMimeFromData Returns

image/jpeg image/pjpeg

image/png image/x-png

</quote>

I haven't figured out how to stop IE from doing that, but I can only say that upload worked before the upgrade from 2.5.7.

Noel

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Nov 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Backward compatibility with a mistake Netscape made in 1995: http://groups.google.com/group/comp.infosystems.www.authoring.images/msg/7706603e4bd1d9d4?hl=en

I hope that the words of Tom Lane carry enough weight with Adobe not to implement a band-aid for this but direct users to the Microsoft bugtracker for IE.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Nov 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

I haven't figured out how to stop IE from doing that, but I can only say that upload worked before the upgrade from 2.5.7.

Thanks for your reply. I also had zero problems with this in IE 7, until the upgrade to the Jive software.

In my case, all JPEG's are Baseline Optimized (in Photoshop), and are never Progressive. I only use that, if my client needs Progressive for their site. Each of my test images was created from a screen-cap of some operation/Panel in an Adobe product, to aid users in finding something, or applying an operation. They are created exclusively for attaching into a post in a thread, and are sized and Saved for that one purpose. Through the day immediately before the update, all worked fine. Black Monday hit, and they would no longer attach from the camera icon, but would with the Attach Files function at the lower-left of the editing screen.

As Google Chrome has gotten this functionality back, I am good to go. What caused the incompatibility between the recent Jive update and IE, up to at least version 7, is only for my edification now, as I can use another browser. That was not my intention, but sometimes, one must go with what works, regardless of their normal workflow.

Again, thank you for your thoughts, and those from Jochem also.

Hunt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 28, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Nov 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try again.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2009 0
Engaged ,
Nov 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here goes:

firedog.png

Aha! Thanks, Jochem (and JC?) for fixing that.

Noel

(IE7 on WinXPPSP3)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2009 0
Nov 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem supplied the info to fix it. I just typed it in.

Thanks all and sorry about the interruption!

John

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 30, 2009 0
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone come up with a way to reliably reproduce the phantom line breaks? Are they only happening with IE? I've had them happen to me, but haven't seen a pattern. I'm in FireFox right now and so far no linebreaks as I type this.

John

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2009 0
Dec 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typing this reply in with IE8 to see if I get any random line breaks as I type. Nothing unusual, so far.

No... there, it jumped to the next line after I typed the period.  But no repeat of that yet. Still typing along on this line now. Can I get it to do it again? Have people seen it happen multiple times within one message post? Or does it only happen once?

John

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For several days, I have been on Google Chrome and have no more phantom line breaks - knock on wood.

When using IE 7, they happened in nearly every reply. Most were in the first 2-3 lines, and when they would happen, the little Justification icons in the lower-middle of the editing screen's Toolbar would blink (most of the time).

Now, I did have those line breaks come in waves. Several longer posts kept getting them well down the body. I'd say that those came about every 3 lines of text.

I still have IE7 around, and can perform any tests that you'd like.

Thanks for looking into this,

Hunt

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2009 0
Dec 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had it happen twice in the same message with FireFox. So it doesn't appear to be browser dependent. Or at least, not specific to IE.

I'll pass along the comments about the icons.

Thanks!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 01, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The green Favicons are back!

But I can insert images. 

green.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 03, 2009 0