Banned again ;-)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, JayJhabrix got banned from posting...

Now it's Jhabrix that's banned... and not a by your leave nor explanation! In neither case was a message sent giving a warning of any kind nor a reason for the inability to post.

Someone is getting very personal and, for some reason, 'Jhabrix' seems to be like a red flag to a bull!

I wonder how long:

1/ This post / thread will last

2/ How long it will be before this avatar of Jhabrix is banned!!

And, if any moderator chooses to read between the lines, you'll realise this post very much is a comment on the Forums and on this Forum.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Banned again ;-)

Community Beginner ,
Sep 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, JayJhabrix got banned from posting...

Now it's Jhabrix that's banned... and not a by your leave nor explanation! In neither case was a message sent giving a warning of any kind nor a reason for the inability to post.

Someone is getting very personal and, for some reason, 'Jhabrix' seems to be like a red flag to a bull!

I wonder how long:

1/ This post / thread will last

2/ How long it will be before this avatar of Jhabrix is banned!!

And, if any moderator chooses to read between the lines, you'll realise this post very much is a comment on the Forums and on this Forum.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Sep 16, 2009 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like it or not, you need to understand that the concept of "free speech" has to do with the political process in the USA... not a company forum

This is a moderated forum, and free speech has nothing at all to do with what goes on here

As in any forum... if you don't like what goes on, you may choose to not participate

Continuing to attempt political-style free speech here is not going to get you any good result

Stick to on-topic discussions and you will do much better

As far as I'm concerned, this is my first and last post on a subject like this... I come to these forums to learn about products, so that is what I will stick to doing, and I will go back to ignoring any subject topic that has nothing to do with actual products or, in this forum, ideas about how to make the forum work better

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the issue is the lack of explanation or warning:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lack of explanation OR warning (at least two within some set period of time) is a problem, yeah.  That's just way too aggressive and most of the time a warning will clue someone in to tone things down (although knowing what specifically crossed the line might be needed).

But, and I am sorry to say, I do think that "speech freedom" does not apply here.  This forum is technically Adobe's private property and we are technically guests, so we do need to abide by their rules... even if they turn out to be draconian.  Of course we're also free to look elsewhere for software, so you would think they have some motivation to be reasonable, too.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2009 0
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An email warning was sent to jhabrix at 1:33pm on Tuesday, Sep 1, 2009...

This is a first warning for a violation of the Adobe Community Guidelines as a result of your messages in the Forums Feedback forum and your reaction to community moderator actions. If you continue to violate our adobe.com Terms of Use and Adobe Community Guidelines, your account may be subject to permanent suspension.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

Adobe Community Admin

Adobe Forums

Creating new accounts to get around a ban is considered a violation and will lead to permanent suspension.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's been tried before - good luck

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, then a ban is not a permanent suspension?  How long is a ban?  It should say the length of time if it's temporary so people don't assume it's permanent.  Also, you have to realize that not everyone checks their email every day.  I might check mine once a week or something, and even then a single message could be lost in spam, or filtered out, etc.  At least send a PM as well, or send 2 warnings, etc.

Not just trying to be a pain, but it still seems pretty harsh to me.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice one Jive--all day this thread has said "Community Moderator" as the last poster, but Kath and myself both posted after that post.

+1 Jive Bug?  Does ANYTHING work correctly in this place???

Edit: Yay I "fixed" it!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2009 0
Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is working correctly. The message was edited after the two of you posted. It originally had a typo in it that was later fixed. So that was the last edited message.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Cornicello wrote:

It is working correctly. The message was edited after the two of you posted. It originally had a typo in it that was later fixed. So that was the last edited message.

True, but the forum says last "posted", so I was going by that definition strictly.

Just a technicality and another design issue, I guess.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2009 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Community Moderator wrote:

Mmm.... soemthing smells not quite right...

1/ The Jhabrix account was created on September 2 so, sending a message on September 1 indicates remarkable clairvoyance

2/ No message was received

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2009 0
Guru ,
Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turn off your spam filter.

JhabrixJay wrote:

1/ The Jhabrix account was created on September 2 so, sending a message on September 1 indicates remarkable clairvoyance

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2009 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

JhabrixJay wrote:

Please note point 1/. And i do check my spam. Nothing there. Other messages from Adobe, welcoming me (dated Sep 02) and threads are in my inbox.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Sep 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

You can't be serious.

Turn off your spam filter so you can get notices from adobe.com about being banned? 

As terrible as the Jived PM system is here, technically it would be at least a little better if it were used in addition to email which may or may not even reach it's destiniation (or get checked).  That's all I have to say on the matter.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 17, 2009 0
Guru ,
Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't serious.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

dec9 wrote:

You can't be serious.

Turn off your spam filter so you can get notices from adobe.com about being banned? 

As terrible as the Jived PM system is here, technically it would be at least a little better if it were used in addition to email which may or may not even reach it's destiniation (or get checked).  That's all I have to say on the matter.

His Browser to you have. if you use a Mozilla type Browser (Camino, FireFox, SeaMonkey) you can  go into you junk folder and open message and un check as spam. then once you returned it to inbox click on the email address and choose create filter. have filter move it to say directory called Adobe.  then run the filter. from that point on those such messaes would be redirected to specfic folder. Here is a sample.

SeaMonkeypicture002.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JhabrixJay wrote:

Yes post #10 is quite an interesting one.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Community Admin wrote:

This is a first warning for a violation of the Adobe Community Guidelines as a result of your messages in the Forums Feedback forum and your reaction to community moderator actions. If you continue to violate our adobe.com Terms of Use and Adobe Community Guidelines, your account may be subject to permanent suspension.

Thank you for your kind consideration.

Adobe Community Admin

Adobe Forums

Creating new accounts to get around a ban is considered a violation and will lead to permanent suspension.

So why, then, is the guy with at least three different login IDs still around posting?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 24, 2009 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nobody reads Post #10

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2009 0
Guru ,
Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should read post 3. The poster is trying to help you out.

JhabrixJay wrote:

Nobody reads Post #10

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2009 0
Contributor ,
Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

JhabrixJay wrote:

Nobody reads Post #10

Perhaps Ansury is helping out, but there is a bit of discrepancy if you read post 10! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2009 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

dec9:

Post #3 has no relevance to Post #10. Post #10 is a reply to Post #4.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 18, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

there is a bit of discrepancy if you read post 10! 

Not necessarily. Anywhere east of the Persian/Arabian Gulf would have been September 2 at 1.33pm on September 1 on the west coast of the United States. Times on emails also depend on the sender's computer clock being accurate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Sep 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Macintoh computers as long as you have a good PRAM battery and a good Regular Battery (for Laptops) the clock stays up todate after first set according to time zone. Apple run their own time servers based  the time servers you here of on Shortwave radio (works similar).  Time is based on GMT.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2009 0
Guru ,
Sep 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must be the result of folding of space that went too far past the mid point and ending up in the future. What results is a post the day before it happens. Just a theory. I am working on the proof. Need beta testors.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2009 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

Must be the result of folding of space that went too far past the mid point and ending up in the future. What results is a post the day before it happens. Just a theory. I am working on the proof. Need beta testors.

There was a post or thread by Jhabrix on Jive and the whole time-space continuum thing... can't remember the context though... maybe something to do with the speed of the site and the fact that actually, it seemed so slow but wa really so fast that it was already in the future when we were still in the past?

Maybe something like arriving at a station to catch a train... the train's already left... you don't know... and you keep thinking the train's so slow, it's so late...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2009 0
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How can you get banned?

What is the cause?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Sep 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Getting on the bad side of the moderator.

Getting the moderator teed off at you for some reason.

If the Moderator disklikes you for some reason.

Using inappropriate language too often

there are many reasons

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2009 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Getting on the bad side of the moderator.

Getting the moderator teed off at you for some reason.

If the Moderator disklikes you for some reason.

Using inappropriate language too often

there are many reasons

Add to that:

Calling a spade a spade

Calling a spade a shovel

(Calling a shovel a spade?)

Unsw....

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip

Moderators have no ability to ban anyone. Only Adobe personnel have that capability.

Moderators do have an ability to suggest to Adobe that someone be banned, but to be honest, the person being banned has to have exhibited some pretty severe behavior in order to warrant banning. Adobe seems to have a high tolerance threshold for bad behavior.

So no, you cannot be banned simply because a moderator were to dislike or disagree with you. Banning only comes as a last step after Adobe personnel have reviewed the situation and deemed the infractions severe enough that banning is the only resort.

Cheers... Rick

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 19, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Sep 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

Moderators do have an ability to suggest to Adobe that someone be banned, but to be honest, the person being banned has to have exhibited some pretty severe behavior in order to warrant banning. Adobe seems to have a high tolerance threshold for bad behavior.

So no, you cannot be banned simply because a moderator were to dislike or disagree with you. Banning only comes as a last step after Adobe personnel have reviewed the situation and deemed the infractions severe enough that banning is the only resort.

So would it be possible to get explanations and/or retractions for the following bannings then?

Jay Jhabrix

Jhabrix

Ramon (can't spell last name) (not that he cares, already moved on to greener pastures)

AND email warnings sent out?

Because in all of these cases the "only resort" of banning for severe infractions doesn't seem to apply, at least based on what goes on here.  It seems arbitrary and almost random.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 20, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it was JJ posting 10 antagonistic threads in a span of 2 days

which got him banned? Dunno...

It's a shame, because until he went on a rampage, JJ was one of the

more level-headed posters (at least on this forum -- I don't know what

goes on on the Photoshop forum)...

Harbs

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harbs. wrote:

Maybe it was JJ posting 10 antagonistic threads in a span of 2 days 

which got him banned? Dunno...

It's a shame, because until he went on a rampage, JJ was one of the 

more level-headed posters (at least on this forum -- I don't know what 

goes on on the Photoshop forum)...

Erm, excuse me,  I AM THE REAL JJ !!

I do not do rampages. This other interloper is just getting the initials a bad reputation.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

So would it be possible to get explanations and/or retractions for the following bannings then?

I think it is highly unlikely that Adobe would enter a public discussion of why certain individuals have been banned. The Adobe Community Guidelines are pretty clear. They state in part:

Adobe reserves the right to immediately remove any posts that it deems inaccurate, inappropriate, offensive, or prohibited under these guidelines. In addition, Adobe reserves the right to eject or permanently ban a user who behaves in any manner it deems inappropriate, offensive, or prohibited under these guidelines. Adobe may change the site content, the license terms for text or sample code, or these guidelines at any time.

As has already been pointed out, moderators do not have the power to ban anyone. Only Adobe does. It's Adobe's party, and it can decide who's invited and who's not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2009 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

Erm, excuse me,  I AM THE REAL JJ !!

I do not do rampages. This other interloper is just getting the initials a bad reputation.

Now, now calm down.... He was talking about JayJhabrix aka JJ... actually, a member here much longer than you... since 2003. Trouble was JJ usually came in thru the NNTP side... using the web interface only since 2005 or '06 for just the Illustrator forums... so his post count, etc. is very low.

And yes, this arbitrary blocking and deleting and locking probably got him worked up enough to speak up on behalf of everyone else...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2009 0
Guru ,
Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you were sorta streatching the truth when you introduced yourself as Jhabrix a while back by implying you were new and looking forward to being part of the forums?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2009 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

So you were sorta streatching the truth when you introduced yourself as Jhabrix a while back by implying you were new and looking forward to being part of the forums?

Did i say that? I never said anything. In fact, i haven't even introduced myself to the forums!! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2009 0
Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David_Powers wrote:

As has already been pointed out, moderators do not have the power to ban anyone. Only Adobe does. It's Adobe's party, and it can decide who's invited and who's not.

But on the recommendation of the moderators no doubt... as it is quite clear that 'Adobe' doesn't hang around here...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While Adobe folk don't make a habit of posting in this forum, they do see the posts that fly around in here. That's why you see John Cornicello occasionally post.

Just some observations...

I noticed the last post from Jay Jhabrix occurred on 9/1 (according to the messages in my In-Box)

Then on 9/2 Jhabrix emerges and is tolerated until 9/14.

Then on 9/16 Jhabrix Jay emerges and cites:

"Now it's Jhabrix that's banned... and not a by your leave nor explanation! Someone is getting very personal and, for some reason, 'Jhabrix' seems to be like a red flag to a bull!"

Tell me these three names don't belong to the same individual.

What baffles me is the bit about the claim "it's personal". Just because someone changes identities doesn't change the circumstances that got them banned to begin with. By doing so it's a continuation of the practice of goading moderation or banning. Likely only so that they can point out how unfair things have seemingly become.

Happy Monday all... Rick

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2009 0
Advocate ,
Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David_Powers wrote:

I think it is highly unlikely that Adobe would enter a public discussion of why certain individuals have been banned. The Adobe Community Guidelines are pretty clear. They state in part:

That's true, and as I've said before this is Adobe's private property where technically they're dictator but I'm not challenging that.  I'm just challenging this claim:

I don't think "Maybe it was JJ posting 10 antagonistic threads in a span of 2 days " (and ban afterwards) as Harbs put it really demonstrates "high tolerance".  Seems like pretty low tolerance to me.

But whatever, at the end of the day, I don't really care, so why continue?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2009 0
Guru ,
Sep 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, just confused.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Sep 21, 2009 0