• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

behavior of browser 'back' button

Enthusiast ,
Jul 22, 2010 Jul 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will someone please explain why the following happens because it is just, plain bad design.

Consider a forum which has multiple pages.  Go to, say, the second page and read a thread.  Now hit the 'back' button on your browser.  Surprise!  You are now back to the top of the first page in the forum!

As I said before, such a design is just plain stupid.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My dear boy...

Precisely.... these forums (fora) have been moaned and groaned about ever they first came to existence... by that i mean in the current avatar.  But to explain the behaviour, they probably use some kind of frames... which links to the home page rather than the frame page... Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will be along to clarify...

Cheers..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is the ajax code used. I wish there was a way to change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

It is the ajax code used. I wish there was a way to change it.

Unfortunately, it looks to me that there

are just too many things too many of us would like to see changed.

More unfortunately, it would seem we will have to wait

until th

e next software change to have them corrected.

Extra line breaks kindly provided by the non updated software of this site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

... there

are just too many things too many of us would like to see changed.

More unfortunately, it would seem we will have to wait

until th

e next software change to have them corrected.

I think Adobe has shunted the forum train so far down a dead-end siding that there is no going either forwards, backwards or sideways.

I hope I am wrong.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is inconceivable to me who thought out that concept, or why...?

However, there is a way around it, as was explained to me when I raised the same subject some time ago.

When you are reading a topic (on page 2, or 3, ..., of a forum), you will see a link on top of the topic

Up to Discussions in Forum comments

Click on this link, and it will bring you back to the forum page from where you started reading that topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pat (sorry, bu

t I don't know the workaround for turning this u

pside down), that's most definitely not my point. I do

n't see why users should have to keep a several pages manual of wor

karounds by their side to navigate more or less easily around these forums. We are not talking about the site of an obscure company with a couple of freeware programs, but of the site of Adobe, which in my opinion at least, should set the standards for the rest. Things like having to scroll down to see the first topic in the list are not a good example for the industry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio - no problem, I can read my name upside-down and downside-up

The workaround that I reprinted is in no way a solution, but I was happy to have it and use it when the Flash Player forum after the 10.1 release was daily several pages long with new and updated topics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 23, 2010 Jul 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat, that workaround was officially posted here

in January

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/556265?tstart=0

but the problem has not been corrected. And there are older ones, such as this one posted more than a year ago with the problem still with us:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416502?tstart=0

There is also a well known workaround for the extra line breaks problem, which I forget and/or refuse to use. And I can (and do) change manually the font in my messages from a tiny bad copy of Helvetica -designed for printing many decades before screens- to a Verdana specially designed for easy reading on screen, because I want to be able to read easily at least my own messages. But, why should users of a well designed site be forced to keep on resorting to workarounds for even the simplest tasks???

Extra line break kindly provided by the non updated software of this site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The work around for the line breaks is before you start, hit return three to four times (at least that what it takes for it to work for me); then hit delete that many times  then you can type. I think the "Official" work around is hit return twice then start typing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It woul

d seem that I am unable to expre

ss clearly this very simple fact:

I hate having to use workarounds for everything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 24, 2010 Jul 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jul 24, 2010 Jul 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a yepper for me as well.

IF I was the haed of adobe and found out all the problems with the forums, some heads would be rolling. Acoording to certain people that post on the list the one most aggrivating problem (unwanted returns) was fixed by Clearspace  almost 9 moths ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 25, 2010 Jul 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The information

comes from a most reliabl

e source:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2481066#2481066

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines