• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best forum wishes

Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2009 Dec 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that this time of the year, starting today and ending in three months on the day, with its many different celebrations of the prevalence of good and of the new year, all having a strong emphasis on friendship and good wishes, will also bring good times to the forums in every way.

I send my best wishes to everyone that reads this, banned or not, here at the beginning of this long night, with snow glittering under the new moon.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 01, 2010 Jan 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio:

>

I didn't know you are so close to the pole. Anyone nearer to either of them?

It's not that close: about the same as Port Christmas

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto_Natales

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy New Year to all! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, Puerto Williams is still closer to the South Pole (54° 56' S), although due to its very decreased number of inhabitants it is doubtful if it can still be called a city. In any case, I was talking about participants in these forums that live closer to either pole than you. By the way, where are you? Your profile doesn't say.

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: posted incomplete due to a typing error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

Noel seems to be in, or near, Nailsworth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I learned all my basic geography too many decades ago, and using flat maps only. It is therefore all too easy for me to forget that the 0° latitude parallel does not go through the Panama Channel as the flat maps seem to suggest, and that there is no place in Europe that is so near the Equator (really going through Ecuador!) as Santiago. My apologies; I have just realized again that, contrary to what happens in the Southern hemisphere, there is a lot of land (and cities) at more than 55° latitude. Not counting the Antarctica, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 02, 2010 Jan 02, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

For us up here it is a real wonder with all that water filling up the southern seas with no land.

And very few even imagine the strangeness of having the sun, moon, and stars, move the other way round.

And Noel is just about midway between Lacock and Notton, by the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I remember that at some time you explained what you meant by the sun, moon and stars moving the other way, but have forgotten your explanation by now. I wouldn't even dream of trying to use the search function to look for that message, which anyway may well have been deleted with all the too many that have gone. As the sun and the moon also rise in the East and set in the West over here, could you please explain again?

In my experience with foreign visitors going to the extreme South of this continent, what is most amazing for people coming from "up there" is the great extensions of unexplored land, with many impenetrable native forests, specially in the southern channels with their spectacular glaciers. I was fortunate enough to go there some years ago, and it was also impressive for us to navigate for hours and hours through narrow channels without seeing any sign of the passage of human beings through those lands.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

When you see the sun rising in the east and setting in the west, it goes from right to left because you look north; and so does the moon, and the stars to the north.

We look south so everything goes from left to right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whether your in Northern or Southern Hemisphere if you look north; East will be to Right and West to your left. Whether your in Northern or Southern Hemisphere if you look to the South; East will be to your Left, and West to your Right. The compass works basically, the same  regardless of where you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

True, Phillip. But we in the north look south to face the sun, and those in the south look north, so the sungazing/moongazing/stargazing experience is opposite, with the reservation of the seasonal changes close to the Equator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That's correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well slap my forehead, make me say a big ole D'oh! and call me silly.

DOH.png

I thought we all had to look UP to see celestial objects!

(Ducking for cover)

Best wishes for a prosperous new year to all... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2010 Jan 03, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good one Rick!

Now, when I slap my forehead, it usually knocks me silly, and the world spins - clockwise. Wonder what would happen if I were to be in say Aukland and slap my forehead. Would the world spin counter-clockwise... ?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations and good luck with your finally being yourself, Bill.

I see the glasses are still here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

This recently happened, and through no interaction on my part. I am keeping my lips sealed, as this does not affect me in any way, except for all those replies to the_wine_snob. Anyway, I'm happy with myself, and will continue, until I morph into someone else...

Hey, I was BILL HUNT for decades, but could not change the capitalization, from a much earlier era. This time, the initial caps work OK.

Now, if I could just track down that WAHunt3 guy, I'd be fine. Won't try that for some time though. Hope he's an upstanding guy?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The wine snob is still attached. I noticed when John J included part of your post, in the photoshop forums in his response to you, The_Wine_Snob showed up. I think this is common and discussed before so I won't dwell on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy New Year everyone!

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread suddenly jumped up to the second place in the list, although the last posted message is dated January 3. Some secretly deleted message perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

This thread suddenly jumped up to the second place in the list, although the last posted message is dated January 3. Some secretly deleted message perhaps?

Bit of spam wiped out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Dorothy, and thanks for the explanation.

I know I'm not the first to say this, and I have probably said it myself before, but I think that leaving some evidence of deleted posts would help both the atmosphere around here, and the time stamps of threads. Replacing the text of each deleted post with a simple "Spam deleted by host", or "Deleted by host" if not spam, or similar, would suffice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused as to how that would be helpful? Why have a thread or a reply with no content?

Perhaps I operate differently than most, but I never really have a reason to look at a post's time stamp or compare it to some count. I jump in, look at the post, help if I can and I'm gone until or unless I see a reply.

Personally I'd be dead in the water if I stopped to ensure that all the reply times followed a logical order and the counts all matched.

But that's just my own perspective. I'm sure others view things differently... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

If you see a thread at the top of the list, it's logical to assume

it's a fresh thread and warrants a response.

When a thread is at the top for the sole reason that a spam post was

deleted, it can lead to a lot of confusion...

It's a shame that Jive is not more intelligent about dropping the

thread back down to where it belongs...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh I see your point. So it *IS* due to the way I operate. See, I never view things that way. I subscribe to the forums that interest me. Any threads or updates just flow into my E-Mail In-Box and are sorted into their respective folders. I click the link, straight to the thread and I'm back out. Super simple.

I can't fathom anyone that participates on a regular basis wanting to operate any other way because this one just seems so efficient.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah.

I use email and filters as well, but I think the vast majority use the

web interface...

I hope to use Jochem's AIR client more regularly as it matures.

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harbs,

I am one of those Web-users, and do not have e-mail notification on, at any level.

For my half-dozen fora, I just navigate to them, look for new posts, that interest me, or posts with replies, that I have commented in. The only time that I get hung up on the reply #'s, or Date/Time, is when no previous replies show, until after I have done so. This happens a bit too often, and some of the non-showing replies were from several days before. Otherwise, it's the subject. Now, I do wish the old "New" banner, as I now often have to read a few replies to get my bearings, and find out where the break (for me) is, between replies that I have read, and the new ones. I'd love to see those old banners back.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines