• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best forum wishes

Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2009 Dec 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that this time of the year, starting today and ending in three months on the day, with its many different celebrations of the prevalence of good and of the new year, all having a strong emphasis on friendship and good wishes, will also bring good times to the forums in every way.

I send my best wishes to everyone that reads this, banned or not, here at the beginning of this long night, with snow glittering under the new moon.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2010 Jan 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

Ahhh I see your point. So it *IS* due to the way I operate. See, I never view things that way. I subscribe to the forums that interest me. Any threads or updates just flow into my E-Mail In-Box and are sorted into their respective folders. I click the link, straight to the thread and I'm back out. Super simple.

I can't fathom anyone that participates on a regular basis wanting to operate any other way because this one just seems so efficient.

Cheers... Rick

Well, this may come as a surprise for you, but there are others who don't have your wisdom, and think and work differently. And they may have some obscure and personal reasons to prefer their way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only times that the reply count, and Date/Time can get in my way, is when I see 0 replies and a few days on the OP. I reply, and as soon as my reply is posted, up jump 3-4 replies, that had not been there, and had not appeared in the reply number, or the Time/Date. Usually, it's just embarrassing for me, as the post has often been answered - what, I didn't read the replies? No. They did not appear, until after I replied.

Otherwise, it's moot to me,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I disagree, Claudio, tho it is not my intent to create animosity by doing so. If you notice that something was probably removed, you will be correct the vast majority of times to guess that something inappropriate was removed, generally spam. I don't want to call attention to spam or spammers by so much as having announced their presence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DorothyK@Adobe wrote:

I disagree, Claudio, tho it is not my intent to create animosity by doing so. If you notice that something was probably removed, you will be correct the vast majority of times to guess that something inappropriate was removed, generally spam. I don't want to call attention to spam or spammers by so much as having announced their presence.

No animosity. You are entitled to have your opinion, and I am entitled to have mine, and we don't agree in this case. That's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jan 19, 2010 Jan 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote on 1/18/2010 11:32 PM:

I know I'm not the first to say this, and I have probably said it myself before, but I think that leaving some evidence of deleted posts would help both the atmosphere around here

You did indeed. To which I responded:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2393735#2393735

If you want any support for your position from the people who do the

actual work in fighting the spam problem, you should read that again and

provide some arguments as to why leaving hundreds of thousands of "this

was deleted" messages in the forums is better then just outright

deleting them.

and the time stamps of threads.

Your solution is worse for that. When messages get deleted in most cases

the timestamp of the thread will revert back to the correct one

immediately, and for the rest it will eventually. Your solution will

perpetually leave the timestamp as the "this was deleted" message, with

additional links to that because it was the last post.

Like I wrote before, if you want to know what goes on, get an email

subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your kind reminder; I must humbly confess that I would have never found that thread by myself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bit of spam wiped out

Who would post spam to a thread on 2010 well wishes? Back in Mississippi, we would have referred to such folk as "ill-bred."

Dorothy,

In all seriousness, thanks for the info. I would not have considered that, but obviously I should have.

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill Hunt said:

Who would post spam to a thread on 2010 well wishes? Back in Mississippi, we would have referred to such folk as "ill-bred."

All Spammer are are lower than pond scum. So they wouldn't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still doing things as in the days of the fair forums, too, too silly or old to change my ways.

That means opening up the different forums, looking at the thread titles and checking the new/updated/unchanged status of them, and entering many of them; on the other hand, no flooding of emails.

A little less than a month till the New Year of the largest population, and a little more than two months till the last of the New Years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I understood that!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The email usage of the forums is full of its own problems, but I can't

imagine spending the time necessary to check all the forums I frequent

using the web interface...

I have filters set up which place the messages from each forum into

its own folder, so I can see at a glance how many new messages have

been posted in each forum.

The messages go straight into the folders, so they do not flood my

inbox.

I check the web interface every once in a while to check if some of my

messages came through okay, and to properly read messages which have

images attached.

An added advantage of using email is the ability to search locally for

old messages.

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 20, 2010 Jan 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the occasion of my 10,000th post, I would like to express thanks to all the nice people that inhabit these forums, for giving me many years of learning and giving back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations, John. One thing more to celebrate here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many years to get 10,000? I've been on about 2003 or maybe before and I have just a little over 2000.

By the way it took three tries and a wait of 5 Minute to get to the reply screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

In the days of the fair forums, on the WebX side the post count reflected something like the annual number because old threads fell into the abyss; you could see it when you made a search for just your name. Mine was always about 1200 or more, almost all from the Illustrator Windows forum, now merged with the Mac counterpart.

This means that those from the last year or so before the end of the fair forums were carried over for all of us, and now we see the counts rising steadily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In other words as the old saying goes I don't stand a Chinaman's chance of get there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

You are closer than you think. When you accidentally dropped through that rabbit-hole to the Premiere forum, you had about 1200 posts. Now look at you. Also remember that many of us lost 10's of thousands of posts, with various forum changeovers, and as has been pointed out, those were not even counted in the NTTP days, so that is almost a decade for some of us "old guys."

Do not get discouraged, as we love your comments. Besides, who would I turn to for answers on browsers, and the like, with Mac's?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I started on Compuserve in the days of Photoshop 3.0 – but they weren't counting posts then.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations, John. It'll be easier with the next 10,000...

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What? No cake?

John Joslin wrote:

On the occasion of my 10,000th post, I would like to express thanks to all the nice people that inhabit these forums, for giving me many years of learning and giving back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just stop by the Video Lounge, and I'll replace the Rolling Rock with some Thomas Hardy's bottle-aged ale. Just ignore the dust on the plastic plant in the corner, Jeff was supposed to clean that, but has not gotten around to it.

We should be able to come up with a cake, or at least a video of a cake? Time to celebrate!!!!!!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cake.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's a flourless chocolate cake, then the Thomas Hardy's Ale should go nicely!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, that is just so wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jan 21, 2010 Jan 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Somebody must have ate it all because the link shows a 404 error which indicates its no there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines