Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank Message Box

May 28, 2010 May 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I had one thread where the OP replyed with blank boxes.  I would reply that there is nothing in the box and he would reply with another blank box, like 3 times.   Finally he just said he was posting wrong.

What is he doing or not doing that would cause this?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt,

I have seen similar, when the poster was replying via e-mail, and not via a browser. I have replied to a few of these, and my replies have always shown. Now, I do all forum work via the Internet (browser), and not via POP.

Did you reply via your browser?

Hunt

PS - I will have time on my hands for your request on the PS issue, and will report via PM. Thanks for being patient. Been very busy here and life has been horribly fragmented. Now, back to the regularly scheduled program...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't even know how to view and reply by e-mail, guess I am a little anti-technology.  Don't do Twitter or Facebook either.   I always have used the browser.

So is there something I can tell him to do that gets the message sent on an e-mail response?

p.s.  No problem with waiting, I just thought you blew my request off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm with you, in that I have never used e-mail for these fora. Going back years (or maybe decades), I did use NNTP, but that is/was totally different.

I do not know what the issue with e-mail replies is, but when it surfaces, the poster is unaware of it, until they re-visit the thread, and see their blank reply boxes.

In all cases, where I have replied to the blank, my replies always show, so something else seems to be happening in your case.

Wish I had some useful thoughts,

Hunt

PS - I try to never blow away any request - though my poor memory is not what it once was...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test I'm using reply to email notification. just to see what happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope that's not the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 29, 2010 May 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Item 2. Do not end a line in "wrote:". A line that ends in "wrote:" will be seen  as a quoted message and from there onwards all content will be deleted.  If you are used to classic quoting this will even result in a  completely empty message.

Does this mean ending the line in quotation marks, or ending the line with wrote?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting observations. Sounds like some words/characters might be viewed as HTML flags, or similar.

Hunt, who just wrote

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my reply just snuck through with "wrote," so let's try the " marks.

Hunt, who just "wrote"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm-m - not sure what I am missing here.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The ":" perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that I could try every ASCII character, but do not think that it is a universal.

Who knows?

Hunt :

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case that was the "pipe," and not the colon, let's try one more time.

Hunt |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was refering to the colon in here, not to any old colon:

Item 2. Do not end a line in "wrote:".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 30, 2010 May 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you guys seriously trying to test bugs in the email interface by

posting through the web interface? Wow ...

Why don't you just use the search? The exact technical explanation, even

including the relevant parts of the AdvancedEmail plugin source code,

have been posted about a year ago and will tell you exactly what is

going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note the post I have in this thread was used by replying

to email Notifications, not going through the web interface. The

discussion

was about Re

Blank Message box when replying

in forum comments.

Note formatting courtesy of the Jive Software.

(i got tired of hitting return 3-4 times and then backspace 3-4  times.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten,

Can't you just give us a straight answer as to why someone that replies by e-mail results in a blank box?  Instead you give us mumbo jumbo on rules that make no sense (rule 2) and then you ridicule us for trying to figure it out by testing.

I am not a programmer and doubtful I could determine the cause by reading the source code.  Just the answer please.

As a moderator you should be the last one to provide negative comments regarding someone's post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, what might be very obvious to many, could well be obscure to others. I have to admit that when it comes to Web issues, beyond the graphic design for sites, I know zero. One can only know so much, and I spend most of my time with several products.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote on 5/30/2010 5:59 PM:

Can't you just give us a straight answer as to why someone that replies by e-mail results in a blank box?

I can't make it any clearer: don't use any of the patterns described in

the FAQ in your email messages. How is that not a straight answer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 11, 2010 Jun 11, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is something like message #3 in this thread what you people have been writing about? If not, does Jochem's explanation also apply here? I don´t see any final "wrote:")

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/523112?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,  thanks for the efforts to narrow this down.  However, instruction 2 states -  A line that ends in "wrote:" will be seen as a quoted message and from  there onwards all content will be deleted.

Since your messages did not have any thing afterward wrote or the quote we don't know if it deleted it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines