• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can these forums NOT log me out in the middle of a reply.

Valorous Hero ,
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is becoming a daily event for me.

My work flow currently is something like this:

1) At the beginning of my work day, I review my e-mails and RSS reader for new messages to the Forums I monitor.

2) I'll usually find a couple to whichI feel I can contribute support.

3) I'll click on a link to fire up a browsers for a reply, since the e-mail reply feature is too buggy for my taste and there is yet any other type of replacement for NTTP type interactions.

4) Since it is usually about 24 hours since I last logged into the Forums, I am usually still logged in.  So I click a "Reply" link and bring up the form to post a message.

5) During the time I am composing the message my 24 hour login period expires.  When done typing, I click the "Post Message" control and boom.  I am told I can not post a message.  That I must login again.

Fine, I need to login again, but that message that I may have spent quite some effort composing is GONE!  I can not click the back button to retrieve it because of the DHTML nature of the message form.  The login process does not remember my post.  It is just gone and I have to re-compose it after I login again.

This is just a really poor user experience.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Known problem, already discussed here

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/425254?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So is it know or discussed if there are improvements coming someday?

I'll take your take your word it was discussed in that thread... I quickly scanned it and did see some mentions of the issue and some theories trying to discover causes.  But it was a rather long and winding thread that I do not have time to read through at this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a great deal of activity going on behind the scenes for this. There are two main things related to login that we're working on.

1) Understanding and attempting to troubleshoot why there is such an inconsistent behaviour between the current login/timeout - much like what you've described. You are logged in for over 24 hours (not supposed to be the case) and then you get logged out in mid-post (also not supposed to happen.

2) Separate from this, we are investigating the possibility of extending the length of time you are logged in through a "remember me" type of functionality. However, my concern is primarily with #1 at the moment, because until we can get #1 working consistently and predictably for everyone, we shouldn't be working on #2.

I acknowledge that this is a very poor experience, one we're working to try to rectify. Hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it does help to hear on what work is currently being focused.

If it helps, the time I am logged in may be more like 16 hours.  I will first look at the forums when I start my work day between approxametly 6 and 6:30 am. Pacific  Sometime during that time period I need to log in.  Then I will check the forums during lunch around 11 to 11:30am Pacific.  Finally I usuall quickly check again before I leave work around 3 to 3:30 pm Pacific.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kanguyen

Is there any way to have the post that was written, but not submitted because you were logged out mid-sentence, to be resurrected consistently?

In using Firefox it seems to do this.  When you again log in and go to post you were replying to there is a message saying  something like - there is previous text for this, do you wish to use it or disregard?

But from previous threads it appears not all browsers do this.   Can it be incorporated into jive, or is this strictly a browser function?  We have lost good participants over this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Logged on from this system for about 12 hours – give or take an hour.

Below is a time and system based report.

Logged on about 8am... Desktop

Shut down system (desktop without logging off) about 10.30 am.

Logged in from another location on laptop about 11.00am.

Shut down laptop at 6.15pm

Started / booted original (desktop) system at about 6.45pm – was logged on.

Sometime between 8.30pm and 9.30pm got logged off.

(Have not opened laptop so do not know what the situation is from that machine.)

Just in case the above is of some help....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just add a (working) "remember me" feature and forget about a timeout at all.

We are not communicating top secret data to our banks here.  There is no need for a stupid timeout feature for the sacred Adobe forums.  It should remember your login for this length of time only:

FOREVER

(actually, until cookies are cleared, or until you login using a different workstation/ip address, but whatever)

And why the !@#$ is bottom of the Y at the end of my username being cut off in this browser to look like a V?  OMG Jive can't even get HTML TEXT to display right without stupid visual javascript hacks or something... hahaha that's funny.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's not a forum, but Amazon keeps me logged in forever. However, if I go to buy something, I have to reconfirm my identity and password. What's so hard? We could stay logged in, except that in purchasing or checking serial numbers etc, - then you have to log in again. Not just to carry on using the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly. Even Amazon, along with thousands of other NORMAL forums and websites do this. It is not a problem or "security risk". Just another Jive bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also I had to re-log-in when I went to Labs, so it is possible to have reserved areas that require a fresh log-in, and leave the rest alone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said in the other thread, an ill conceived decision, not thoroughly thought through, has resulted in a weak fobbing off exercise by Adobe.

It's pathetic.  

"thoroughly thought through"   —  I love the sound of that!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 15, 2009 May 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

I know it's not a forum, but Amazon keeps me logged in forever. However, if I go to buy something, I have to reconfirm my identity and password. What's so hard? We could stay logged in, except that in purchasing or checking serial numbers etc, - then you have to log in again. Not just to carry on using the forums.

I have serveral forum MacRoumors Forums that even have choice to log in, one of the choices is FOREVER.

I hadn't logged in a while and receive a post, about Acrobat9's inability to show what printer you can use in Page Setup. I had posted her in Acrobat Mac Forums, and received one reply about there had been a few reports of such but not enough to warranty looking at. So I posted on the MacRomurs Forums.

Any way I posting this only to say some fortums can/o do in fact stay logged in Forever .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kanguyen wrote on 2009-05-14 17:54:

1) Understanding and attempting to troubleshoot why there is such an inconsistent behaviour between the current login/timeout - much like what you've described. You are logged in for over 24 hours (not supposed to be the case) and then you get logged out in mid-post (also not supposed to happen.

I have a theory: Ian is actually logged out from his forums session, but

his Adobe session keeps his individual requests logged in, without

creating a new session on the Jive side. That should be visible on the

Adobe side by repeated requests for the same Adobe ID from Jive to the

SSO server.

If Ian is willing to experiment with this, I would suggest recording the

expire date of the AUID cookie for *.adobe.com after his next login.

Then check if the moment he is logged out on the forums corresponds to

the expiration of the AUID cookie.

2) Separate from this, we are investigating the possibility of extending the length of time you are logged in through a "remember me" type of functionality. However, my concern is primarily with #1 at the moment, because until we can get #1 working consistently and predictably for everyone, we shouldn't be working on #2.

There are quite a few issues that should get a higher priority then #2.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am willing to experiment.  This is my first interaction with the forum today.  I had to log in to start this reply @ 6:34am Pacific time (US if that is not obvious).  What exactly should I be lookin at?

Firefox 3.0.1.0 with common web developer plugins if that is helpful.

Edited to add cookie information:

Name     AUID

Value     5MhTt3fSdAKba115IjMSVgCk0Wf5ozFYHGZ4bfajM%2B83%2BF1oJRBfrW0iBgonY2EL

Host     .adobe.com

Path     /

Secure     No

Expires     Sat, 16 May 2009 13:33:46 GMT

I don't think I can do this experiment until next week.  I will not be on Adobe Forums from this computer (or likely any computer) over the weekend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian Skinner wrote on 2009-05-15 15:36:

I am willing to experiment. This is my first interaction with the forum today. I had to log in to start this reply @ 6:34am Pacific time (US if that is not obvious). What exactly should I be lookin at?

Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Show Cookies -> adobe.com -> AUID

Write down the expires value of the cookie and if you get logged out

tomorrow see if that corresponds to the expires value.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian's post was edited to show this info and to say he can't do the experiment till next week because he won't be at his computer tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ian, if you're using Firefox there's a "Lazarus" plugin that works like a charm:

see this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/428137?tstart=60

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AxialInfo wrote:

Ian, if you're using Firefox there's a "Lazarus" plugin that works like a charm:

see this thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/428137?tstart=60

Sheila,

All this is all very well.... but why should the systems log you out? There is some excuse about it being tied to the Store... but they can always set a unique login there or separate the two so that you have to log in to the store each time.

All these plug-ins – particularly the non-essential ones, such as this – are just adding to system and time overheads. Why? Because the Jive ACE idiots don't know their job?

Jeez!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it was extremely bad form to tie the forum login to the store login. and those of us who thought about it definately made that clear long before the formal rollout.

that's what sticks in the craws of so many long time users! the fact that they SPECIFICALLY solicited advice, asked us to kick the tires, tell them what we wanted and didn't want, THEN IGNORED US COMPLETELY at nearly every turn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jay, while I understand the frustration of the forum changes/problems, I do believe that knowing that there are viable, proven workarounds like Lazarus -- even if only for Firefox and ideally only needed until the problems are addressed properly -- could be the difference between retaining or forever losing knowledgeable forum participants.

Those who have problems like this and what's more, who take the time to find this forum to post their problem, deserve to be greeted with all available solutions / workarounds. <take a deep breath ... there's no offense intended to anybody in the following ... > And, the corollary, don't deserve to have their posting hijacked with another litany, ad nauseum, of frustration found in every thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sheila Carlisle wrote:

And, the corollary, don't deserve to have their posting hijacked with another litany, ad nauseum, of frustration found in every thread.

sorry sheila, i'm glad you found a workaround that you're happy with, but for gob's sake? how many plugins are we supposed to have loaded in our browsers. i don't like to run with ANY plugins in firefox, but here i am with greasemonkey, stylish and noscript and now you want me (and others) to add another, this lazarus. ENOUGH. thanks.

and i'm sorry if you feel nauseated by the repeated negative comments, but well, that's life. if you don't like it don't read it. i feel pretty nauseated by the performance and problems with these forums, but i don't see to much help for it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run Firefox without any plug-in and still can recall messages aborted with log out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

curt y wrote:

I run Firefox without any plug-in and still can recall messages aborted with log out.

I use SeaMonkey which the browser portion is based on FireFox. and it to can recall the aborted messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use SeaMonkey

http://www.clipartof.com/images/emoticons/xsmall2/708_annoying_smiley_getting_shot.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines