Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can we change hyperlink behavior?

Valorous Hero ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Nice job so far with the forums. Really liking the new look and feel.

The FuseTalk forums used to direct any hyperlinks to new windows. These forums seem to default to opening in the same window for things like linked images and whatnot. That's a bit counterproductive when attempting to assist with an answer. Would be nicer if a new window opened for these links and we could view, then close in order to return to the thread.

Cheers... Rick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+111111111!

I just posted up a new entry in the FAQ area and noticed that my nice instructions disappear when in step 1 they click the link to go to the other website. Grrrrrr.

At the very least, make it POSSIBLE to do this. Even adding target="_BLANK" manually in html code view gets stripped out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I noticed the stripping of the _blank too.

The good news is that it's a reasonably simple process to remember to right-click and choose in new tab instead of just clicking. The trick is remembering to right-click!

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboWizard wrote:

Yeah, I noticed the stripping of the _blank too.

The good news is that it's a reasonably simple process to remember to right-click and choose in new tab instead of just clicking. The trick is remembering to right-click!

Cheers... Rick

Ya, the times I forget is when I'm on page 4 of the topic list. <head/desk> 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboWizard wrote:

The FuseTalk forums used to direct any hyperlinks to new windows. These forums seem to default to opening in the same window for things like linked images and whatnot. That's a bit counterproductive when attempting to assist with an answer. Would be nicer if a new window opened for these links and we could view, then close in order to return to the thread.

I absolutely disagree with forcing new links to open a new tab or window.

I say that control about how a link opens should be left entirely to the user.

If a user wants a link to open in a new tab or window, then I politely suggest they should get accustomed to using a Control + Click (right click under Windows), which will bring up a contextual menu for selecting thie desired behavior.

Or, in Firefox (I don't generally use other browsers for day-to-day surfing; you can experiment on your own to figure out how other browsers  work), you can Command + Click to open a link in a new tab which will appear inactive/behind your current open tab. Command + Shift + Click on a link will open in a new tab, and make it active/bring it to the front.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a user wants a link to open in a new tab or window, then I politely suggest they should get accustomed to using a Control + Click (right click under Windows), which will bring up a contextual menu for selecting thie desired behavior.

I totally agree. Who wants web sites opening new windows?

It's the age of tabbed browsing man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

right click? what's that? i middle click on any link that i get to open it in a new tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

… i middle click on any link that i get to open it in a new tab.

The middle finger is best reserved for other, more demonstrative uses. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you are linking to another thread in the forum, people usually just put the straight link in. But if you are linking offsite, I kind of think it's polite to open it in a new window so you don't disturb their browsing chain in-forum. Also, if you are trying to build a how-to, it is 10x easier for them to follow it if any links don't overwrite the how-to they're reading. Like I said, the option to do it should at least be there.

Also, whether it is opens in a new tab or new window is up to the browser prefs. FF opens target="_BLANK" in a new tab, for example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines