• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can We Exclude Ourselves from Private Messages?

LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2010 Oct 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a variety of reasons, I prefer public forums to private discussions.  These forums have a Private Message feature but I have not found any way to opt out of them.  The Edit Forums Profile page has nothing on the topic.  Also, hiding our email address does not prevent others from sending us private messages.

Is there a way to opt out that I couldn't find?  If not, could one be put in?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dan Bracuk wrote:

For a variety of reasons, I prefer public forums to private discussions.  These forums have a Private Message feature but I have not found any way to opt out of them.  The Edit Forums Profile page has nothing on the topic.  Also, hiding our email address does not prevent others from sending us private messages.

Is there a way to opt out that I couldn't find?  If not, could one be put in?

I'm not aware of a way to opt out, but that means little, as I

don't run this site or anything.

My opinion is that it's probably just as easy to ignore the personal message function altogether; it's easy enough to miss as it is (I had a message once for several weeks before noticing!) so for me, ignoring it would be a feasible option.

I am fairly sure that if there IS a way to opt out that someone will let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The best way to block private messages is to put 150 messages in your private message store. When somebody tries to PM you after that he will get an error immediately and you never see they even tried. I have done this for most non-moderator accounts I have on these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2010 Oct 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a variety of reasons, I prefer public forums to private discussions.

I believe we all do; PMs (Private Messages) are only a means of exchange somewhere midway between forum posts and emails, more fleeting than either.

In the beginning there was only room for 100 PMs. I asked for more, because I keep some, and now it is 150. Sorry.

I should prefer to have a larger number available along with the option of opting out of PMs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

I should prefer to have a larger number available along with the option of opting out of PMs.

PMs are a very useful means of communicating about stuff that we don't want to appear in the forums.  I also wish that we could have more than just 150 messages, which I have to regularly clear out.  Some PM messages I would like to keep permanently, e.g. links to important online documents etc.  I cannot keep all these in browser bookmarks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

when someone pm's me about a relevant topic i tell them i don't answer questions in PMs and prefer to keep exchanges in the regular forums where then can be useful to all. that's usually enough to deter someone from PMing you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 24, 2010 Oct 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel the same way.  What I would prefer though, is that the person trying to PM me get that message sooner, when they attempt to send one to me.  It's much more efficient that way.

For those who say they like PMs, fine.  This is not an attempt to take them away.  It's an attempt to get a way of opting out of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 24, 2010 Oct 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to elaborate even further:

With a PM, if read and answered, you may reach another forum member quietly without having (to have) the email address, in other words a communication at an intermediate level, which may then be deepened by the exchange of email addresses and continuation through them.

This is (the) one feature that forms an improvement over the fair forums, which might very well have had it added, given the chance.

John, Jochem, what do you say: can Pat, I, and others, have the number further increased?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 25, 2010 Oct 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Trust me, Dan: the possibly few of us using the PMs are just as eager to have the opting out option for the rest of us.

Unwanted, and unavoidable, features are the main reason that so many of us wish ourselves back in the times of the fair forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines