• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot write replies or create new discussions with Opera

Community Expert ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, the Post button seems to work, but it's impossible to type any text, and the formatting toolbar is missing. Using Opera 9.64, Windows.

I would have thought that cross browser compatibility would be important for a forum like this one.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot put my hand on the browser list, but Opera isn't on it. I believe it is a short list: IE, Safari,  Firefox (and perhaps the entire Mozilla Family)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 07, 2009 Apr 07, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SeaMonkey which in the Mozilla suite of Programs work fine for these groups. Its odd though Opera use the same type browser engine as Safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

SeaMonkey which in the Mozilla suite of Programs work fine for these groups. Its odd though Opera use the same type browser engine as Safari.

Philip; Opera has never used KHTML engine (web engine used by Safari/Google Chrome) . It uses it own engine and always has called Presto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably because this junk uses heavy JavaScript -- the evil curse of the Internet which threatens to destroy all high quality content ever created. ^_^

But Opera is working for me (for the most part, with some annoyances). Try doing a right click->Edit Site Preferences->Network->Mask as Firefox under browser identification.  Seems to help some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ansury,

That seems to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 14, 2009 Apr 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be really nice if I didn't have to set Opera to "Identify as Firefox". It seems a bit silly that it works when you do that but not if you identify as Opera.

I don't suppose anyone from Adobe can provide an explanation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 15, 2009 Apr 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's happening is Adobe like other companies are committing the ultimate sin. They are using a Browser Sniffer. They simply don't have opera in the sniffer Code.

SeaMonkey and FireFox work because the code sniff on the word Gecko.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

But Opera is working for me (for the most part, with some annoyances). Try doing a right click->Edit Site Preferences->Network->Mask as Firefox under browser identification.  Seems to help some.

Now, why didn't I think of that?! (Been too long since I used it regularly, I guess.) I'm hoping to use Opera's Email with this system, so that is useful.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or Identify as IE works in Opera

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again I am unimpressed with the Jive system.  Why the hell would any decent site 'take a peek' at the browser being used before communicating with it?  Altering the "User Agent" (as it is called in Safari) does not alter anything as far as I know.

This is silly in the extreme.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe is not the only one that does it. As an example I have cell phone sevice with alltel. I use SeaMonkey But I have to alter the UserAgent to add on the end (/not FireFox/2.0) in order to use on Altell's website. and there is one page that they use activ-X doesn't work on a Mac. SunTrust does so on their BillPay page. And so on. Its dumb policy but its done all the time. Sites written in certain software by MS usually work on IE but not other Browsers. The use broser sniffing to discourage use of other Broswers. With the exception of IE and even IE 8 will be setup to follow w3c standards and therefore if pages are written according to w3C (Worl Wide Web Consortium) standards and should be viewed exactly the same. rendering the need for sniffers obsolete.

And before you design gurus jump on me for web design. I am not speaking design of individual sites, But at the reasoning for and against broser sniffing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines