Apr 23, 2011 Apr 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was in the Reader forum and needed to take a look at a

recent post. For this

, I had to go to the second page of the list. In both, the lis

t of Top Participants looked its normal:

Lista1.JPG

I opnened the wrong message on page 2, and tried to go back to the list of topics using the "Back to Reader Discussions" button, which worked. But the list of Top Participants had changed to this:

Lista2.JPG

And it went back to "normal" on reentering the Reader forum using my bookmark.

Addition: I have tested in other forums and I get the same expansion of the list on going back. And the button I'm using is the "Up to Discussions In XXXXX" one near the top.

Message was edited by: Claudio González. Reason: Addition.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I had not noticed that behavior, but have to be honest, I do not pay close attention to Top Participants. I will keep my eyes more open.

Closest that I have seen is when only X Replies show, and I go to Reply. When I Post Reply, and the screen refreshes, I then see X+3 Replies, and all well before I posted my Reply. They just magically appear. The only problem is that the OP now thinks there's an "echo," as I have often just parroted replies above.

I'll watch more closely and comment on what I observe.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far back as I can remember, I've seen the number of top participants change depending on what page I'm on.

Never tried to nail down why; I just figured it must be a slightly different page layout depending on what page one is on.

Edit:  It seems to have to do with whether ?view=discussions is at the end of the URL.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2011 Apr 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only seen such (maybe something similar, yet different), when navigating between sub-forums, such as between Premiere CS5, CS5 and Earlier, the Hardware forum and The Video Lounge.

In one, I will have a full compliment of salamis, and be the Top Poster, but in the other sub-forum, I will be down the list, with fewer salamis. My assumption was that the Top Posters, and also the salamis were related to the specific sub-forum. However, unless I mis-read Claudio's OP, that is not what he's talking about, and probably not what you are talking about either.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2011 Apr 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, there's no question the lists are sub-forum specific, but I think Claudio was just talking about the changing list length depending on how you get to a particular page.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Oh, there's no question the lists are sub-forum specific, but I think Claudio was just talking about the changing list length depending on how you get to a particular page.

-Noel

Absolutely right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got you. Thanks for the clarification.

Also, there is a "show ALL participants" link, but again, I assume that it is not being invoked, and that something else is happening.

I still have not observed this, but only just started looking for it.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try these links, Bill:

1.  No top participants list at all.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments?view=overview

2.  10 top participants:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments?view=discussions

I'm not sure whether there's a variant that would give you 5 participants, nor whether the use of these different ?view= suffixes will yield the same effects on all the subforums.

Clearly they're delivering slightly different pages that show the overview of threads.  Note also that "STICKY TOPICS" doesn't show in the second.  I imagine at the very least that the Jive team can employ more people by following this philosophy.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 26, 2011 Apr 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Try these links, Bill:

1.  No top participants list at all.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments

http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments?view=overview

Noel, as you say, both of these two links take me to the main page of this forum, with no list of top participants:

Sin lista.JPG

However, if I open any thread in the list and then go back using the "Up to Discussions in..." button near the top of the page, then I get a list of Top Participants, plus a list of Popular Discussions:

Con lista.JPG

This is the problem I have been trying to report in this thread: what one gets on going directly to a forum is not the same one gets when going back using the "Up to..." button. And for me, the problem is platform and browser independent: I get the same results using Mac/Firefox and Win/Explorer. And it happens in any of the forums I have tested.

I hope to have explained myself clearly this time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's pretty clear.

In the grand scheme of things, Screaming Panic level problems (crashes of servers, etc.) being on the one end, I suspect this would be considered Minor Irritation and be somewhere near the other end in the minds of the people changing the forum software code...  That's just a guess.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Noel Carboni wrote:

I think it's pretty clear.

In the grand scheme of things, Screaming Panic level problems (crashes of servers, etc.) being on the one end, I suspect this would be considered Minor Irritation and be somewhere near the other end in the minds of the people changing the forum software code...  That's just a guess.

-Noel

Well, your guess may not be too wrong, because they have not given any sign of having noticed this thread...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines