Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Click on Search Content does nothing

May 11, 2009 May 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When one starts typing in Search a content window appears below with suggestions.  When I click on one of topics the window immediately dissapears and then message bar in lower left says Done, but nothing comes up.  I even minimized screen to make sure it was not hiding somewhere.  Have seen this problem persist for a few days, but have not seen anything in the forum on it.

Is it my system, or a bug?   Using Vista 32 OS.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I see:

SeaMonkeypicture001.jpg

Is this what you refer to?

Taken with Mac Powerbook 17" OSX.1.4, SeaMonkey (Mozilla). I typed in the word check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, and when I click on one of the threads of the Content the window dissapears and then nothing happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

curt y wrote:

…when I click on one of the threads of the Content the window dissapears and then nothing happens.

Yes, I can confirm that's exactly what happens whenever I forget that I have the Advanced Search page bookmarked and absent-mindedly type in the search box on a regular page.

However, it's not a significant problem for me, as I use the Advanced search page most of the time.  At this point I don't this minor glitch deserves to be bumped up the priority ladder of the forum team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

curt - what browser are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using  Firefox  v.  3.0.10 browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've submitted a case to Jive support to see if there is a known bug with this browser/OS combination. This is not the way it's supposed to work, but I imagine it is related to browser compatibility as it does seem to be working for other browsers/OS. This one will likely end up being a fairly low priority bug (not sure when it will get fixed), but thank you for reporting it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kanguyen wrote:

I've submitted a case to Jive support to see if there is a known bug with this browser/OS combination. This is not the way it's supposed to work, but I imagine it is related to browser compatibility as it does seem to be working for other browsers/OS. This one will likely end up being a fairly low priority bug (not sure when it will get fixed), but thank you for reporting it!

I find it curious that the functionality of the U2U forums under Jive appears to be "browser-centric".  Do you have any idea why that should be the case?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe it is Jive's intention to purposely support functionality to some browsers and not to others. I think these small issues that we're seeing where things work one way in one browser, and differently (or not) in others are browser compatibility bugs with the way things are implemented.

My guess is that it's relatively easy to get something to work for 70-80% of folks (pulling that number out of thin air, BTW) but that last 20-30% sometimes requires a significant level of effort. Sometimes these things just fall to the bottom of the priority list given limited time and resources, but I know from the Jive folks we've worked with that they strive to have the experience be as similar as possible for folks regardless of browser and are not looking to purposely make functionality browser-centric.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kanguyen wrote:

I don't believe it is Jive's intention to purposely support functionality to some browsers and not to others. I think these small issues that we're seeing where things work one way in one browser, and differently (or not) in others are browser compatibility bugs with the way things are implemented.

My guess is that it's relatively easy to get something to work for 70-80% of folks (pulling that number out of thin air, BTW) but that last 20-30% sometimes requires a significant level of effort. Sometimes these things just fall to the bottom of the priority list given limited time and resources, but I know from the Jive folks we've worked with that they strive to have the experience be as similar as possible for folks regardless of browser and are not looking to purposely make functionality browser-centric.

Mozilla according to W3C is the most Standards compatible out there. IE 8 supposedly will almost be so.

In event if you write code to comply to Mozilla Standards they will work correctly on *any* web browser.

You have to remember that many of us use Mac's and Ms has made a version of IE for Mac since Version 5.2.3. They pulled for two reasons first They wanted to make IE a built in feature of Windows. And second Gates was Teed off at Apple for coming out with Safari.

Even now many Windows people use Mozilla products to get away IE propensity download a bunch of Malware.  Primarly they don't use Active-X Controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh dear. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, dear yourself.

The comment was not intended to be confrontional.  It was more a suggestion.

I was just pointing out commonly know information.

Web content shouldn't be written to code for specific web browsers.

Code should be  written to the most current W3C standards and if written that way will work on most all modern up to date Web Browsers, including IE.

It when you use browser specific code such as Active_x that you get in trouble.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

curt y wrote:

Using  Firefox  v.  3.0.10 browser.

I've noticed something If I just hit return after Typing the word Check I get what I showed you.

However If I click on the Magnifying Glass symbol I receive this:

SeaMonkeypicture002.jpg

Clicking on the links there actually go somewhere. Clicking on links in drop down list as previous picture does as you say they go nowhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

Clicking the magnifying glass submits the search, so getting to the search results page is the expected behaviour. The "search ahead" functionality happens as you are typing - it gives you a "preview" of search results and you are supposed to be able to click within the popup that appears to go to specific items. Sounds like you cannot do this either - can you share your browser/OS please?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Support has not been able to duplicate this issue. They ask if you might be willing to install a screen capture called Jing?

http://www.jingproject.com/

Then do a screen capture of the steps used to trigger this.

Yes, I understand if you don't want to. That is OK.

Thanks!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe-admin wrote:

Support has not been able to duplicate this issue. They ask if you might be willing to install a screen capture called Jing?

Yes, I understand if you don't want to. That is OK.

Thanks!

John

Yes, I can do that.  Have to leave now, will be back in 2 hours and try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't seen the drop-down list of suggestions - I'm too impatient and it's too slow to appear, I'd normally have hit Return or the magnifying glass by then. I just tried it, and for me the links in that list are clickable. Mac, Safari 3.1.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have never used Jing so advice please.  If I do a screen capture won't I just show the info as in post #1?  Do I have to do a video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That request came from support. I do think they want to see a video capture of the steps. I'll try to get confirmation of that.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I believe a video would give the best info for support. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Used the camera icon to upload this video of what happens when I click on search link.  Hope it works.

Jing2009-05-12_1815.swf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The camera icon only works for images, as far as I can make out. You could attach the file, though.

screenshot_04.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works fine for me - IE7 on XP

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

The camera icon only works for images, as far as I can make out.

AAAAdobeForum-Embed-Video-icon.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I should remember to select brain before engaging keyboard. What I meant to say was that when curt y's post arrived as an email, the link it contained to his .swf worked perfectly, so using the camera icon does write a link to an uploaded .swf. It's of course a different matter whether the video shows up in the forum.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines