• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Conclusion so far: WebX performance beats Jive by a ratio of 30 to 1

Guide ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After four days of using the new Jive forums, I've come to the conclusion that I have dedicated about three times the usual amount of time to the Adobe forums and have accomplished less than one tenth of what I used to do in a similar amount of time. 

This works out to a ratio of 30 to 1 in terms of how much better the old forum format performed in comparison to what we've ended up with here so far.

I'm basing this calculation on the number of hours spent here since last Sunday versus the few satisfying threads I have been able to read as well as the remarkably little assistance I've been able to give.

These results are naturally somewhat skewed by such things as the proportionally inordinate amount of time spent in the Forum Comments forum as well as reading and commenting on forum complaints on the other forums I've visited, to wit:  Photoshop Macintosh, Bridge Macintosh, Camera Raw, DNG, Color Management, Photography, Typography, Type, Illustrator, InDesign and this Forum Comments forums.

While this is a conclusion based on my subjective use of the forums and will necessarily be different than what other users experience, it does give me a somewhat quantifiable measure of the magnitude of the problem as it affects me personally.

Now I don't feel as bad as I did this morning when I feared I was not putting enough effort into adapting to the change as I increasingly came to the realization that this just isn't worth it anymore.

There will be dozens of critics who will be very happy to see me participating less and less everyday, so not everyone loses. 

As I've said before these last few days, it just doesn't seem worth it anymore. 

This will not be a surprise to Adobe, as we were told during the preview the past month that they had fully weighed and accepted the probability that some of us would just fade away and would eventually be replaced by new blood.

At this point I just want to make sure that I express my gratitude to the many contributors from whom I've learned so much over the years.  At the risk of inevitably forgetting to mention many, I'll start by bowing to the memory of the late, lamented Bruce Fraser and the also departed John Slate, and then thanking living contributors such as Thomas Knoll, creator of Photoshop and Camera Raw, Chris Cox, Eric Chan, Jeff Schewe, Ian Lyons, Neil Keller, Wade Zimmermann, Buko, Ann Shelbourne, Phos±, Marco Ugolini, Lou Dina, Andrew Rodney, Professor Gernot Hoffmann, Thomas Phinney, Dov Isaacs, Doug Katz, Welles Goodrich, Ed Hannigan, Conrad Chavez, and others whose names escape me now.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

😞  take care.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I've said before these last few days, it just doesn't seem worth it anymore.

That was the conclusion that I have regretfully reached too.

I have found the Adobe Forums  to be interesting, stimulating and FUN for more than ten years, and have met some wonderful people through them.

Unfortunately, attempting to post in the new Format, has become an exercise in frustration.

This is directly due to the terrible performance of the Jive software;

the incompetence of the engineers (who seem to be incapable of providing the most basic levels of Usability (such as effective navigational tools);

the dreadful design and functionality (or the total lack of same!) of the Reply box; and the abysmal performance of the Servers in regards to speed (even refreshing a page is painfully slow).

Adobe certainly bought a Pig-in-a-Poke when they awarded the contract to Jive — and no amount of Lipstick can hide its ugliness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll start by bowing to the memory of the late, lamented Bruce Fraser and the also departed John Slate, and then thanking living contributors such as Thomas Knoll, creator of Photoshop and Camera Raw, Chris Cox, Eric Chan, Jeff Schewe, Ian Lyons, Neil Keller, Wade Zimmermann, Buko, Ann Shelbourne, Phos±, Marco Ugolini, Lou Dina, Andrew Rodney, Professor Gernot Hoffmann, Thomas Phinney, Dov Isaacs, Doug Katz, Welles Goodrich, Ed Hannigan, Conrad Chavez, and

That says it all....Adobe is one brick short on its decision to make these changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines