Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 05, 2009 Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They'll probably be watching the testing forum at http://forums.adobe.com/community/general/forum_comments/testing a bit closer then this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 05, 2009 Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope not. The testing forum is for testing, this is where you post the conclusions of your tests (if they are relevant to others at least).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dorothy K:

I must agree with Jochem.  The test forum is for testing.  Comments regarding forum issues will be in THIS forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found out why the message body of my messages is stripped out. It appears Jive is filtering the content of email messages with the following regular expression:

/**
* Simple bean for storing the contents of an incoming email.
*/
public class Message {

// ripped from EmailParserImpl
    private static final Pattern originalMessagePattern = Pattern.compile("(-{5,}|_{5,}|^.*wrote:$)(\\s*.*)*", Pattern.MULTILINE);

My first impression is that this implementation is somewhet simplistic. For instance, it doesn't take into account whether you just quoted a single line or all of the message. For a great example of that, look at the House of Fusion email archives, where you can see selectiive quotes are allowed, but complete quotes of full messages are filtered out. It also doesn't do pattern matching on the standardized string that starts a signature.

More insight into the behaviour of the email integration can be obtained from the sourcecode of the Jive advancedemail plugin. Although I am not sure it is the same version as Adobe is running, there are some comments and TODO's in the code about behaviour I am not seeing in the email from these forums, but it still helps to understand what is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After analysis of the Jive filter code I managed to bypass the filter without too much impact on my end. Mozilla Thunderbird allows you to format the text it adds to the top of replies yourself. If you follow the instructions you can change the format to something that does not end in "wrote:" and it will bypass the filter. I kept it simple and just change "wrote:" to "wrote :" (i.e. added a space between the e and the colon). From my first tests it appears my messages are now bypassing the filter.

I have attached a screenshot of my Thunderbird reply configuration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can this issue get some love please? I may have a wokaround, but there are still others out there who get bitten by this. And Jive's own forums at http://www.jivesoftware.com/jivespace/ do not suffer from this problem, so clearly they have a solution for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 10, 2009 May 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the jive forums run on a different version so they can/will just say "if you want this fixed just upgrade your forum software", so who's in the mood for another forum "upgrade"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 11, 2009 May 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sounds like they should get along with Adobe just fine

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines