• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Decisions from on high?

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2009 Feb 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the bean-counter's folly, or were actual users given preview to offer feedback?

Will we be able to offer suggestions and have them seriously considered before implementation is finalized?

What worries me the most is the track record for this sort of thing. Seems the web team hasn't been able to get much right when left to their own devices. How is this time going to be different?

If the web team and admins have only learned ONE thing, let's hope they finally understand that MORE open dialogue with users/customers is better than less dialogue and imperious decision-making.

(I feel like an abused family member being asked to stick around because the abuser has promised for the umpteenth time that they'll never do the bad thing ever again)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2009 Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

here's that forum's topic list:

http://forums.sun.com/forum.jspa?forumID=427

also very usable (although i would like the ability to see more threads per page).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks OK to me too. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was about an inch of wasted space all the way down the left side of the page on my monitor for the "sun" link. It was the block reserved for avatars and such. I could care less what someone looks like or such as I page through the forums. That is wasted space and keeps being part of the proposed look. If the poster was listed in 1 line before the post, as on this forum, it would be much easier to go through. The fact that it allows full width is useful. The current forums here have a fixed width and I have 60% of the right side of the screen blank. In a sense, this width issue is just as bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find the Sun forum too wasteful, too. And those having trouble with small text will not enjoy all the empty/wasted space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, somewhat similiar to that. Colors will be different, but very similar layout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Sun forum wastes entirely too much space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that the column width for the body of the messages is about the same there as it is here. It might even be slightly wider there. Yes, there is more of an indent, but the content area is about the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Yes, somewhat similiar to that. Colors will be different, but very similar layout.

very cool!

>. Yes, there is more of an indent, but the content area is about the same.

yup. i was thinking the same thing. I think NO white-space on a line would simply make for an unreadable wall of text.

i'm not vary active there (mostly reading and learning) so i'd have to dig around to find a thread with enough posts to see if you go back to your last read. somehow i don't think you do though. i've never seen that except for these webx adobeforums (but it's an excellent feature).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>i've never seen that except for these webx adobeforums (but it's an excellent feature).

nope looks like you get tossed to the top of the thread each time you go in.

hard to be sure though. the longest thread i say was about 35 posts.

I get the feeling the format itself is going to do a lot to keep threads from getting too long... or not...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob Peters wrote (without paying enough attention 🙂 :
>The Sun forum wastes entirely too much space.

My mistake. I was concentrating on the initial link which showed a lot of embedded code. For that case, however, it would be nice to have a mechanism to collapse the code since many (most?) of us would not be interested in seeing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> The appearance of that forum is not very comforting.

Agreed as well. Looks like what I've seen on gaming forums and other "pop culture" types.

The only thing I'd change about the current setup would be to make linking/displaying images easier (like a button to click that inserts the needed code as I have used elsewhere).

However, the ability to "ignore" by filtering email is a welcome improvement, what with the kiddie trolls that wander in every now and again.

Just please keep the garbage/plethora of icons from infecting the forums. Of everything good about the current setup, that is what I like most. Please don't break that. :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Just please keep the garbage/plethora of icons from infecting the forums.

I think we all agree on that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Code samples would only appear in messages that had code. Very welcome in many of the scripting forums or forums that deal with HTML and the like. We shouldn't see much of it outside those places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, I agree with Dave and many others:

One of the features I absolutely LOVE with the WebX forums is the way it handles the "what I've already read in each thread" value.

I LOVE the thread display of:
Original thread starter post
The most recent post I've read in that thread
The newest posts which I haven't read yet.

I can handle the multi-pagers...
Here's an example from MacMinute:
http://forums.mactech.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/343541/Hit_Songs_of_1964#Post343541

...But I don't find that style nearly as user-friendly as the "memory" for what I've read that's used in the WebX forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you now have another issue.

I checked in Sunday had to sign in using my email address and password the go to another page and choose the account I wanted to use. I did.
Then I specifically checked the item remember me. and I was able to go to accounts all the rest of the time I was signed up.

Now today I had been off for a day or two, Guess what I had to sign in. shades of the same &*$# crude we had with the last failed attempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>shades of the same &*$# crude we had with the last failed attempt.

I think we need to chillax and wait to see what shakes out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pjones, the email address and remember me is for your Adobe ID at Adobe.com. It doesn't have any relationship to these forums.

If you closed your browser since your last visit you will have to sign in again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't had to do that since the last failed attempt where we ended up having to sign in either for every message or it went around in a circle 20 times before letting us. and before the first messed up time I had been signed in (they used a permanent cookie) from the day I started with the forum back in Acrobat 5 days until that time.

The remember me is what you had to tick for adobe to send a permanent cookie. I've checked my adobe cookies in SeaMonkey 1.1.14 cookie Manager and there is no cookie set to expire no earlier than 2013 and I have some that will in 2038 (probably longer than I will be living).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, the Remember Me on the Adobe site for urls with adobe.com in them will remember your user name, but not your password. Any cookies you set from adobe.com do not have any effect in these forums (at www.adobeforums.com).

Yes, adobeforums.com has a permanent cookie available. But it is disabled at the moment because everyone who wants to have their message history preserved in the new system later this year needs to log out and log back in to get the prompt to associate their current Adobeforums account with their Adobe account. This association does nothing at this point except put in a marker on your Adobeforums account to say which Adobe account to merge it with when the messages from the old systems are combined into the new.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ugg... sigh. Nevermind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
John Cornicello wrote:
>Yes, adobeforums.com has a permanent cookie available. But it is disabled at the moment because everyone who wants to have their message history preserved in the new system later this year needs to log out and log back in to get the prompt to associate their current Adobeforums account with their Adobe account.

May I humbly suggest that an announcement to this effect should be added to EVERY Adobe forum so we all don't keep complaining? Placing the statement here does little to stop the confusion/grousing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines