• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deleting or editing a post that has been responded to

Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do I delete or edit a post that has already been responded to?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't. You can try sending a PM to a moderator asking for your message to be deleted, which s/he may or may not do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've tried that, but no reponse. I was hoping there would be a quicker method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was out of office. If you posted a link to the thread here, any of a number of moderators would have jumped on it to cleam up the thread. I think I found the right one and cleaned it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really want your details to appear on these public forums?  For example your e-mail can be used by spammers for whom it is a monetizable asset;  You phone number can be used to keep calling you for anything silly.  And finally your address is ideal for some weirdo to do something for his idleness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jtanna, if you post this sort of comment as an answer to the other person's post, you prevent him/her form correcting his/her mistake, if it was a mistake. Remember one can only edit a post until someone answers it. Now catatonic will have to ask a moderator to delete all that personal information, provided she does mind having it there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

Jtanna, if you post this sort of comment as an answer to the other person's post, you prevent him/her form correcting his/her mistake, if it was a mistake. Remember one can only edit a post until someone answers it. Now catatonic will have to ask a moderator to delete all that personal information, provided she does mind having it there.

I posted that message to let her know what the ramifications are for posting full details.

As to deleting/editing the message, she has successfully managed to do so by contacting Adobe-Admin.  I am sure she can do so again if she wants to remove her personal details.  Sometimes people put their personal details deliberately to promote their company.  I am not suggesting this is the case in this instance.

I hope I have managed to explain myself sufficiently.  At the end of the day, we can only advise and it is the posters themselves to decide whether to act on the advice they get.

How else would I have brought this matter to her attention?  Are you seriously suggesting that I should have contacted her by PM when neither of us know each other?  Oh no, I am not going to take that sort of risks.

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2012 Jan 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JTANNA,

In cases like this I always avoid replying to the possibly troublesome post, as does Claudio, to enable the poster to correct/remove things without delay.

In this case, I would answer to the OP or to post#3, both from Catherine, in other cases with no other posts by the same poster just to the OP but specifically addressed to the  poster/post. Many of us (almost) always reply to the OP in any normal case, especially in this forum, and just state who we are answering to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Claudio and Jacab! I assure you that this was a mistake and I fully understand the ramifications of this. It definitely would have been most beneficial to me to respond to my previous post #2, so I could get it off as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, I now have to wait on Admin to remove it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Catherine,

I have just sent a PM (Private Message) to John (Cornicello) in the hope that he will see all this and remove the unwanted parts of post #4 very soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Admin is faster than John (I don't sign in with that account every day). But any other host who read this should have been able to remove the personal information.

Sorry about the delay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2012 Jan 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, John. I will remember the faster one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frankly I think the Forums should have the ability for anyone that post to have the ability to edit or even delete a reply to a question.

The Microsoft answers forums both Mac and PC  have these abilities. For instance you need to correct spellings. Or, you type a answer, submitt it then decide it’s the wrong right answer for the wrong version and you need to delete the question.

Here if post anything your toast. No way to change it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Phillip but I disagree. In other (non-Adobe) forums I frequent, where editing is allowed for a couple of days, it's not at all uncommon for helpers apeearing as fools because a poster edited his/her message after reading some answers... And some threads become very confusing because of edits made in the light of later messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me its an adavantage. as you well know, Because of my hunt & peck typing style I make spelling mistakes. Often not seeing them until I've posted and not come back until the next day, or next time I've  opened the computer and opened my mail/newsreader.

And, I have posted an answer or 2 that was ideal for one version, but totally wrong for the version the question was asked about. So rather than look dumb a**. I'd like to have the ability for at least an hour to delete it.  Sometimes I might do such say if misread version num Acrobat 9 or X or Office 2008 or 2011, neither of which anyways which resembles the other.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 27, 2012 Jan 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

There HAVE been many times, where I wish that I could go back an edit an "oops," but I have to side with both Claudio and Jacob here. Being able to go back, and possibly change anything, will likely not result in a better forum. I just live with my secret revealed - even with spellcheck, I will find a way to misspell many words! I can live with that, so as to not have threads, that devolve into nonsense, after a poster has changed everything. I'd just let them make corrections in their own additional Reply, so that continuity can be maintained.

Imagine a thread, where the OP poses a question about a problem, and the next four Replies are requests for more info - then the OP gets to go back and add all that info to the original post. Instead, I feel it better, that they add those responses to the info requests, down-thread, so that things make sense.

Just my opinion,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am with Claudio here.

Let us see it this way: the forums form a kind of open conversation, only in written form. Just like a speaker, the poster may freely replace or edit a statement until answered, but as soon as someone has replied, the speaker/poster will have to take the added statement(s) into account.

In the days of the fair forums there was a 30 minute unconditional editing time. Sometimes it was used to create jokes about the subsequent answers, but mostly it just caused confusion and sometimes dissatisfaction when used after replies to the post in question.

It is also more sensible that the one at fault, if that is the case, takes the blame instead of passing it on to someone innocent. For my own part,  I freely admit my being silly on a regular basis, although this applies to statements that I have no wish to withdraw.

Edit: In addition, I believe everyone is used to see many errors in posts and care little about them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not when I first started, and to some extenent even now.  And spell check doesn't work here except if you click on HTML button. and the built in spellchecker, in the system is not better than not having any.

And I not say to allow removal of Original Post. Only any replies. I agree if you need to add conditions they should be added in another post.

Anyway I find the system on Answers much better than here. You can run the computer's spell checker unlike here and If you post a brain dead answer and you find it so you can delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines