• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Design Forums are all jacked up

Advocate ,
Aug 20, 2009 Aug 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the 1st one that is screwed up, look and the Last Post times. Seems to me like this forum also had some posts that were within the last week as well. Also I cannot get the 'mark all as read' to work on this one:

Picture 2.png

2nd one in the Design Forums, check out the last post times again:

Picture 1.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I explained before moderation actions can cause threads to get a new modification date which may cause them to move up in a thread list. Do you have any reason to presume this explanation is not applicable to the threads you are linking to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know if people have been getting "Content approved" or "Content rejected" notifications for these threads recently? I know some moderators have been clearing out the queue of several months of abuse reports recently and changes to the moderation status may be causing this in part.

This was in response to threads that were "locked" and not showing posts for a while (until several other posts were made in the same thread). And these threads were being shown as "updated" on the main forum and the last poster was not being shown.

These are two separate things. The forums I posted in this topic are not "updated" the original poster and the last poster are the same. They have simply been "moved" to the top of the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if i had to guess, i'd say that a spammer came in, bumped up an old thread and then a host deleted that post but the thread list didn't get updated yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That could be.

On another note

I can't even find an "edit" button on my posts now. I was in the middle of editing my reply here, hit send, got an error that I had no permission to post in this forum (usually happens when I get logged out). So I go back, refresh, still logged in. Come back to this forum and I still have no "edit" button on my replies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

People here keep beating around the bush, blaming one thing on another and never finding answers.

Now I have my edit button back, obviously something funky is going on here. And no Zeno had NOT posted when I tried to edit my post...I had even went back and refreshed and I was still the last poster at that time.

Now, what I tried to edit earlier:

Just how does one mark a post as "read". I've went in, viewed the thread, went back, hit "mark all as read" and still the post appears bolded and unread (very top pic on my OP).

And if one does bump/moved a thread to the top then why are some appearing as unread (and in my case with the above issue), and others are marked as read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As soon as somebody has read (or replied to?) your message you shouldn't be able to edit it anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reread the above, it had NOT been replied to at that time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In that case:

1. Make sure your computer is synched to a NTP server.

2. Make sure there is a timestamp visible on your next screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stuff happens when moderators act. When a thread is modified in place it can freeze partially (message count freezes and/or modification date is stuck) or completely (next X messages don't show until some part of the cache expires). When threads are moved they may or may not get an updated timestamp and move to the top.

Do you have any reason to presume that is not the case in the forums you are linking to? Considering the amount of spam that has been cleared over the last days (including very old spam) I am inclined to attribute it to some threads having messages removed when complete accounts were deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am inclined to attribute it to some threads having messages removed when complete accounts were deleted.

If this is the case then why not post a message in the thread.

Or better yet, instead of digging up old threads that have long been forgotten, why not delete the thread altogether.

I've seen this happen several times recently. Then someone unsuspecting comes along and starts referring to a topic that is 3 yrs old as though it is brand new and going through the whole troubleshooting thing all over again. All because it was bumped to the top.

I'd find a few examples, but since this jive stuff sucks I can't begin to know where to look at this point, and we all know the search function is useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because the workflow is:

1. find spammer;

2. delete spammer.

Anything else is up to the forum software, we just let the forums sort out all the cascading deletes, changed dates, lower messagescounts etc. And there is no way we are going to hunt through hundreds of threads to alter them manually (which would bump them to the top all the time, instead of just sometimes when things go wrong).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines