• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

do adobe actually want us to buy?

Participant ,
May 27, 2009 May 27, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having a nightmare trying to purchase Lightroom2. It doesn't appear to be stocked by resellers (dispite customer support on the phone saying it is - although they couldn't tell me by who!!), so I have tried via the adobe web store.

After several attempts it seems that I cannot purchase from the US site because I'm in New Zealand. (even though I have a US address, a US login - but I'm in NZ so therefore...) okay....so, after several attempts to buy from the adobe NZ store and repeatedly being linked back to the US site...which I can't buy from...I finally reached the ASIA site (I know a lot of Asians come to nz, but really...we are our own country) where I could purchase Lightroom...but at a MUCH higher price...64 percent more....WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

got to be a mistake, so do it all again....and yep, almost NZ$300 dollars more for the exact same software.

After eventually getting through on the phone to customer support I was told it was because of the exchange rate....errrr....both prices on the web are US dollars, one is significantly higher then the other biut both are US dollars - nothing to do with exchange rate. Then I was told to go to one of the resellers....ur, Adobe don't ship lightroom to anyone in NZ, well not the resellers they list on their website, and I havn't found anyone else who stocks it, so...

Do I pay a massive penalty because of my location...or do I go to another company?

Really Adobe, how much do you actually want our business? Phase One don't charge more because of your location, infact of the many programs I have purchased from software companies, NONE....I repeat NONE have charged more because of my location.

I'd really appreciate someone from Adobe explaining why the massive price difference.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi;

Surely in NZ you have Mac stores that sell almost exclusively to Graphic Design types no ? You'll probably be able to buy Adobe software at a place like that OR college bookstores (for those colleges that have animation or Graphic Design courses).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, yes we have MAC stores here in NZ - so far I have yet to find one that can sell Lightroom - basically everything else, yes, Lightroom, no.

Plus, not all of us are on MAC, and as far as education stores go, they often don't stock commercial versions. Not much help for a business. I hope that it is different elsewhere but here in NZ  this seems (as far as I have found so far) to be the norm.

Aside from where to buy it, I can't for the life of me understand such a price difference - US$299 vs US$420 (includes delivery cause we can't download it...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffb2009 wrote:

well, yes we have MAC stores here in NZ - so far I have yet to find one that can sell Lightroom - basically everything else, yes, Lightroom, no.

Plus, not all of us are on MAC, and as far as education stores go, they often don't stock commercial versions. Not much help for a business. I hope that it is different elsewhere but here in NZ  this seems (as far as I have found so far) to be the norm.

Aside from where to buy it, I can't for the life of me understand such a price difference - US$299 vs US$420 (includes delivery cause we can't download it...)

Now that last part makes even less sense. You can downlaod a trial, can't you? That only lacks a serial number! Should be able to buy a legit serial number online, too!

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don - you are so right. I have been running the trial, no probs downloading that so yep, you would think that all I need to purchase is the serial. But no.

And here is the thing that Adobe need to realise - it's been such a pain, taken so long, my  trial has ended so now I am using my Capture One again. How dumb is that - make it so damn hard to buy that your customer goes to the opposition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Amazon.com?  You may even have a local store in NZ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saw the following thread listed in the "More like this box".  Lots of discussion about non-USA pricing that may be interesting to you...

price policy Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Curt, interesting indeed.

Interestingly,  the Adobe argument surrounding resellers is rather mute when they appear not to supply it to resellers in NZ. . Still, I'm glad I'm not in Australia - they seem to be getting ripped off even more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heres another thread.  A bit newer and quite long..

LR2 Pricing in Europe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't read all of that but have long been aware of Adobe's rip-off pricing policies to anyone outside the US. What is that about not selling to Iceland at all - it's a download!!!! And applying the Irish rate of VAT (sales tax) regardless of the rate in the customer's own country is totally out of order.

I'm amused to see that the cost of providing local support is part of the 'extra' cost - anyone ever been transferred to an Indian call centre? Set up because they are cheaper???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 28, 2009 May 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a full version of a suite it is cheaper to fly to the US and buy it there!

(From UK any way.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haha, not so from NZ unfortunatly. but then I will be there for a shoot in December ....don't thing I can wait that long

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what are you complaining about? the master collection costs only 2.2k pounds in the UK compared to 3.4k euro here in Romania

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Zeno Bokor wrote:

what are you complaining about? the master collection costs only 2.2k pounds in the UK compared to 3.4k euro here in Romania

Zeno... just went o the Adobe Store to check... and the prices for the UK and Eastern Europe are identical... or am i missing something?

PS: Both price listd in Euros

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not from where i'm standing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange...

Both links i went to showed the prices in Euros and both showed the one on the left in your image... Heck! talk of double standards... these are triple standards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The European discrepancies are probably caused by the simple fact that some countries have the common European Monies whereas others keep their own. A few years back, the £ and € amounts would match. Presumably, Adobe set the prices back then, and therefore it may be worth going to UK from the continent, if not to the US of A. Is it not possible for an EU customer to buy from the UK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the store(s) do an ip lookup to determine where you're coming in from and will either not sell to you if you're out of the area or will redirect you to a local store. that may also be why prices look one way to one user and anotehr to someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

the store(s) do an ip lookup to determine where you're coming in from and will either not sell to you if you're out of the area or will redirect you to a local store. that may also be why prices look one way to one user and anotehr to someone else.

This is crazy... what, are Adobe now playing Internal Revenue / Income Tax / Whatever Tax Officials? For Christ's sake, what gives? I could be from X and looking up prices in Y for a friend or even myself. Some people do travel around and even live and work in diametrically opposite sides of the world. If someone goes to the store for that country / region the prices displayed should be for that country / region... not Adobe's effing interpretation.

The more they carry on with this kind of arrogance, the more i'm reminded of those immortal words from Mr Zimmerman... "A hard rain's a-gonna fall..."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is crazy...

i think it's pretty standard operating procedure for an international corporation with a web presence. lots of places won't let you watch a certain video or hear a streaming song if you're out of the area, for example (bbc, the USA big media network sites and youtube come quickly to mind).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

i think it's pretty standard operating procedure for an international corporation with a web presence. lots of places won't let you watch a certain video or hear a streaming song if you're out of the area, for example (bbc, the USA big media network sites and youtube come quickly to mind).

True... but nowhere can you see the prices clearly... here Zeno got them from i don't know... And i may be in the US today but back in the UK tomorrow and planning on buying from the UK when i'm back... or whatever... why can't they just give country/region-wide prices?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JayJhabrix wrote:

why can't they just give country/region-wide prices?

why can't i (legally) buy Disney's "Song of the South" on a region 1 dvd?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

JayJhabrix wrote:

why can't they just give country/region-wide prices?

why can't i (legally) buy Disney's "Song of the South" on a region 1 dvd?

Dave there are two aspects to this:

1/ You're talking about buying. I'm talking about listing prices

2/ And this whole region s**t regarding music and videos is causing havoc. Theoreticall and practically, i buy my stuff in the US. I get posted to China. Nothing works! It's crap.

In the old days, everyone was taping CDs and tapes. Was there any hassle? Just keep prices reasonable and people will buy the goods. Stiff them and they'll stiff you back! Simple as that..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just keep prices reasonable and people will buy the goods.

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA!

that's just crazy talk man!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, trying to post a message in these Jive ACE forums with no cursor functionality or ability to... well, whatever, is a Jive ACE pain in the rear end...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines