everything!":

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1868421#1868421

Author :

Profile : http://forums.adobe.com/people/%5BJongware%5D

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's ridiculous that email notifications are ON by default for everything. to turn them off click your name, then go to the tabs mailing lists and turn everything off and email notifications and delete everything there (or the ones you want to un-subscribe to).

for each thread you visit and are interested in, you can select the "Recieve an email notification" link in the action pane to the right of the posts in the thread.

man it's worse than spam, especially if you post in just a couple threads that have more than 1 or 2 replies. i had to delete hundreds of emails last night that piled up over a couple of hours before i realized you had to turn that off. AND i had to filter out my legit emails from the forum spam.

john c & forum team, you really should consider making email notifications an OPT IN thing rather than OPT OUT.

dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was surprised to see that as an opt out rather than opt in ... however I was clever (lucky?) enough to think to visit the preferences page before I posted my first message in the new fora (this one).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

worse part for me:  I DID opt out via my preferences, I am NOT on the mailing subscriptions list and I AM STILL GETTING EMAIL RESPONSES!!  Please, turn it OFF as I requested!!  My inbox is all clogged up with responses.

So, no opt in, and apparently, you can't opt OUT either ....

Hopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopper

Go to the preferences page, and trash the email address it that. Perhaps then Adobe will start sending the notifications into the ether, instead of your mailbox.

Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D. McCahill wrote:

Hopper

Go to the preferences page, and trash the email address it that. Perhaps then Adobe will start sending the notifications into the ether, instead of your mailbox.

Don

?   Your email address is stored in your Adobe ID account. It cant be changed in your forum preferences.

Simply turn off the default subscriptions as already described.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt,

I am a bit cranky about this, but what part of I already turned OFF ALL email notifications and subscriptions didn't make sense?  They ARE ALL OFF and I am still getting responses via email!    Not trying to take it out on you, but the notifications are highly annoying!!

Don,

Curt is right, I can't "delete" the email address, as it's not editable via the preferences page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was especially highligting the preferences, because I got the sense that a lot of people were just using the actions box to unsubscribe to indiividual threads which wont work if your preferences still have "subscribe to psoted and replies" enabled.

If you turned them off in preferences and any subscriptions you made, then I have no answer.  Ive tried turning them off on my account and they behaved as expected.   If your's arent behaving, then I certainly understand your frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt

I'm sorry about being cranky!

Hopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are actually two types of email notifications. At the Forum level and at the thread level.

If you want to remove notification from a Forum go to that Forum and do not open a subject click on remove email notifications (its a Toggle). Then you should receive a notice in window above you will no longer receive email notication for such and such.

If your in a Subject you do the same thing but that just stops notification for that thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

There are actually two types of email notifications. At the Forum level and at the thread level.

If you want to remove notification from a Forum go to that Forum and do not open a subject click on remove email notifications (its a Toggle). Then you should receive a notice in window above you will no longer receive email notication for such and such.

If your in a Subject you do the same thing but that just stops notification for that thread.

And; there are preference settings which auto turn on subscriptions by thread that you are involved in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have *got* to be kidding me??  I turn OFF email notifications and OFF to subscription lists in my preferences and I STILL have to go to specific forums and turn it OFF there as well?

good lord, what kind of software did Adobe get that causes this much headache? and why didn't they do the opt in option rather than opt out?

<shaking head> 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you visted a forum and viewed a particular thread  Yes you can go to your stuff Preferences and uncheck the item about subscribe to threads visited. But If you went into a Forum and chose to receive email notification then yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

again, this points to the absurdity of the default setting to be opt IN rather than opt OUT, as well as having multiple options for opting in and out.  There should be ONE place to set the preference and that preference should follow no matter where they are reading posts/threads.

hopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that the default for subscribing to threads you participate in should be off.

But, I dont see how there can be one universal subscribe/unsubscribe spot you want without giving up siginificant functtion.   It is designed to subscribe in 3 ways:

1. Conditionally (via preferences):  Only threads you start or reply to.
  2. By thread: Manually choose a single thread to subscribeor unsubscribe to
  3. By forum: Manually subscribe or unsubscribe to an entire forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt,

we are in agreement that the default setting should be OFF.  Then it wouldn't be such an issue if one were to opt IN on one or two discussions that interest the user.

hopper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not remove the one in preferences, and have people choose to subscribe when and where they want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Why not remove the one in preferences, and have people choose to subscribe when and where they want?

I think because many folk only want to get notified of posts they are involved in.  And the preferences setting is a way to automatically do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing this behaviour at all. I replied to several threads in my forum and then I turned off email notification in the preferences. I went back and looked and I was only subscribed to those threads I replied to. I easily turned off those subscriptions & I haven't seen any since.

Is that not what others are seeing?

While you can quibble about the default settings, checking preferences should be the first thing any experienced user does anyways.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Have been saving and searching e-mail digests for at least 5 years now. Very time efficient method for diagnosing and finding fixes or workarounds for issues with the Adobe Creative Suite. Great tool for helping the 500+ users we support in the U.S.

I scan the digests daily on the train and usually have an answer to our designer's questions before they ask them. If I can't find an answer by searching my archives, I have enough info to ask a semi-intelligent question and get a quick response.

It would appear that the current forum format requires searching through the forums while on-line, or reading through multiple e-mails daily to find that gem of info I can save for our users. Doesn't seem very efficient and will cost me a lot more time.

Please, bring back the digests.

I will miss Nini Tjader's well considered and thoughtful advise if she decides to no longe be a part of these forums.

Gary Scott

Landor Associates

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

I think it's ridiculous that email notifications are ON by default for everything.

What should be the default is preferences to email you on threads you start and threads you have replied to.  So, changing the mail subscription in the action bar wont turn them off if they are set in your preferences.

Go into MyStuff/Preferences and uncheck the options for email on threads you start and threads you reply to.

Then you can manually subscribe to specific threads in the actions box or the entire forum as you desire.

I do agree that the default for these preferences should be off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And WHERE are the digests for entire forums???? Individual notifications that contain nothing but a link to the fourm are worhtless. The only point to get something by email (as I see it) is to get digests at set intervals, with the entire replies and links to the threads as it was in the previous forum so you could choose if you woudl go to the forum or not or simply read offline in the mail-digest. (I also really dislike getting renamed and considered a new member after being a member since 2002).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines