• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing cookies with Firefox & WebDeveloper add-on...

New Here ,
Feb 18, 2009 Feb 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to edit them so that that don't expire when you close your browser.

I had done it before, but something about the new cookies seem to prevent it.

I'll keep on working at it. When and if I get it figured out, I'll post the directions in a reply to this thread.

In the meantime...if you're using Firefox, and you want to be prepared, go get Chris Pedericks' excellent add-on, go to the following link:
http://chrispederick.com/work/web-developer/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jus' so long as you also drop in a phone number or something people can call for support when it doesn't work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If people are tinkerish enough to want to edit the cookies, and they go get the Firefox add-on in order to do so, they ought to also be clever enough to reverse their experimentation.

At the very worst, one just needs to ditch them outright and let the forum script install fresh new ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you mean there's actual support somewhere?!! :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nah... I just wanted Phos's number... and to not hear from people that mess it up worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>and to not hear from people that mess it up worse.

nah. like he said, if you mess something up, you delete the cookie and reload the page...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you change a temporary cookie? I suspect that whatever you change will be over-written when the software writes a cookie out at the end of session (or whenever it is writing one).

The past cookie you were able to change might have been a permanent one (i.e., with a date far into the future), and software might not have been set to overwrite it.

It has been too many years since I programmed cookies, but I'm not entirely sure that editing is going to be possible if the software is set to automatically write them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So Far I'm not having to sign in every time on my Laptop Powerbook 17"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah but what about your cookies, Phil?

Try to stay on topic, cowboy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you need, Phos? Do you want me to go to Cookies>View Cookies Information> & Copy/Paste the info here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's exactly what I want to have a look at, Jason.

If you just want to do a screen grab and send that, that'll be fine.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You betcha! It'll be a PNG image. Sending it over to ya during my lunch break (bout an hour or so from now.) Hope it helps! :)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to be absolutely clear on what I'm after:

The cookie info will only be worth having if it's from a system that allows you to quit Firefox, then re-launch and return to these forums without being required to log in.

I don't know if I'll be able to glean anything useful, but it'll be interesting to me to try to find out anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can do that - is this what you mean? (Hmmm, didn't work before for Safari, had to log-in after browser-quit).

Anyway:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should have 3 cookies when you look at the cookie info for the thread index of this forum. (According to WebDeveloper, anyway)

Always wished there was some way to decipher or look up on the host site what the "Content:" value was supposed to convey.

It's not that huge of a deal (In most cases, I hope), but it's always felt kind of covertly suspicious to me that we can't know what any cookie does, exactly, when it's on OUR systems, influencing and exerting control over OUR experiences.

If I ruled the web, cookie information, value parsing, and all behaviorswith plain-language interpretationswould be something every site that uses them would be required by law to make conspicuously available to visitors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>If I ruled the web, cookie information, value parsing, and all behaviorswith plain-language interpretationswould be something every site that uses them would be required by law to make conspicuously available to visitors.

remind me not to shop with a credit card on your web. :P

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cookie info I speak of should be visible to each of us, individually, not to OTHER users, unless the values and behaviors for that cookie is something generic or common to all visitors who accept the cookie(s) from a particular site.

I want to know what info the cookies on MY system contain, and what behaviors they exhibit...on MY system. I don't care about what the cookies do on somebody else's system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't wish to share my cookies with others. If they were decipherable by just anyone. Then just anyone could alter them to do all kinds of Damage. We already have nough problem on the internet with Active-X controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geesh. Quit while you're behind, Phil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2009 Feb 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How is someone going to alter a cookie that is stored on your machine ... if someone can access your computer remotely, you have way bigger problems than a bad cookie (which is a harmless text file that cannot run code).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2009 Mar 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it just a simple cookie ,delete with the firefox options will solve the problem and for safer access set the security and advance future networks setting to secure the browser

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

o.O

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spammer. Check the profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines