• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Email notification format?

LEGEND ,
Sep 19, 2011 Sep 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I expect I am the odd man out here, but we'll see.

The old forum software sent plain text email notifications.

The new forum software sends multipart/alternative emails, with HTML and text.

I find this a bit annoying, since for non-forum workflow reasons, I usually end up viewing the HTML version of an alternative message rendered to text, and it's a bit less clean to deal with. It would be nice to have a per-user setting to choose plain text emails, which I know exists in a lot of software. But I don't imagine there's an easy way to turn this on.

And I suppose that most people prefer the multipart/alternative format emails to either text or HTML.

Well, just curious.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't mind using the HTML format makes easier for me to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd actually prefer if all email features were turned off, forcing folks to come to the forum through a browser and read/post.

Posts made through email clients never come through as clean as a post through the browser.  They have weird line breaks, cluttering signatures, unnecessary quotes of the entire post they respond to, etc.  Best to just turn off all email capabilities and have everyone use their browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The email notifier is just that. A Notifier. You click on the link to go to discussion and it goes to the actual link to the discussion. If You use  Thunderbird/FireFox combination you wait for the switch from one to the other once. Afterward its almost instantaneous. With SeaMonkey its even faster because your not opening two applications.

whatever way you get get to the link. They look identical.

I thnk Notifiers are great.  One thing they have improved with the notiers is that you can now thread them and mark all of thread read after you went to the discussion and read the whole thread. with old system you couldn't. So it vastly improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2011 Sep 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I had not even noticed this, BUT... I keep e-mail notification OFF, as I follow any thread that I am interested in, in the forums, and do not need any more e-mail. The only thing ON, is an e-mail notification on PM's, as I do not normally look there. All forum activity is OFF.

Now, getting the notifications in the new Jive, was a surprise, but a few clicks, and all was turned OFF again. Too bad that the new Jive could not use our Preferences there, but other than cleaning out my In-box, and changing those Preferences, it was not big deal - just a bit of a surprise.

I think that Phillip has the right idea, and will just trust him, as I do not plan on turning things on, just to check.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines