Exit

Email notifications - subject line codes

Engaged ,
Apr 16, 2009 Apr 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like those irritating codes at the end of the subject line are going

to stay. There are a couple of things about them that make them even more

irritating, but they could - I should have thought - easily be put right.

(1) The first part looks like six randomly generated ascii characters

signifying the date. If that is the case, then five digits would do until

October 2173, just by counting days since 1 January 1900 (today is 39919, for

example). This would mean that parts of a thread sorted by subject would stay

in the right date order even though the thread spanned more than one day. They

don't at the moment, unless the random code happens to sort alphanumerically

in the right order.

(2) It looks as if the last four characters increment as posts are recorded.

The problem here is that they increment according to the ascii sort order,

which cannot be specified for any mail client that I know of. The sort order

is , whereas 'normal' sorting would put A and a before B and

b, and so on. Again, messages sorted by subject get out of date order. This

could be put right by, say, excluding small letters from the mix. This would

admittedly reduce the number of available 4-character codes to only 1.7

million instead of 14.8 million, but I should have thought that that was

enough to keep them going until the next rehash of the forum system.

The middle three characters have been tvi for all the notifications I have

received.

Then, remove the superfluous 'Re: ' at the start of the subject line for

replies, and we've got a groupable, if not threadable, set of messages.

Comments, anybody?

Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there some way they can can Hide the Codes just for email Notifications. Surely someone is smartenough to do something like that?

I use SeaMonkey and in the Email headers some orgaization calle SilverlineSVF say that the subject lines break certain rules for character count for Subject lines, which should be which no more than 60 Characters Maximum.

SeaMonkeypicture001.jpg

Almost all subject lines except for short ones fail this test.

In other words they are breaking email specification rules to begin with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 17, 2009 Apr 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a problem with that "SilverlineSVF organization" putting that in your email, you should take that up with them, not with Adobe. But I suggest reading up on email headers first. Check out this nice introduction, then think for a second about the headers you are posting here and who inserted them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First I only posted a screen shot of the pertinent, part of what I was asking. Which did not identify anything important, only the part to what I was asking.

I've since found out the problem with the "email" notication is hard coded into the system and can not be fixed nor altered, in another thread.

Also: Although I have sorting on Subject I Have these choices:

SeaMonkeypicture001.jpg

And none of the choices work on the adobe forums. Most any email client nor all-in-ones have same or similar choices. Now if you a Corporate type and run Outlook you might have even more choices. But Apple Mail, Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, and Opera (which as an email/newreader system built in) all have these choice.  I suggested that maybe the codes at the end be hidden at end of the sbject sents out for the email notices. Evedidently It can't be done. I read the linl and find its interesting. But most real world email clients use similar items as show above.

In any event. ina all emails I get except these from adobe sorts on all these choices. Only the adobe email notices do not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've since found out the problem with the "email" notication is hard coded into the system and can not be fixed nor altered, in another thread.

Who said that? Can you provide a link to that message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark A. Boyd wrote:

Here is the latest one I can find indicating codes are here to stay. There is one or two others but I don't have time to look through all 900+ I have backed up.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1897089#1897089

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Mark A. Boyd wrote:

Here is the latest one I can find indicating codes are here to stay. There is one or two others but I don't have time to look through all 900+ I have backed up.

Erm. Maybe you can find one where someone that actually has something to do with the work on the forums says it rather than just you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not create the the thread I replied asking whether there was a way to hide the codes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude. You need to quite reading. It seems like you simply believe anything to read to be a fact stated by someone in authority.

So put the books down, turn on the TV and watch some Gilligans Island reruns...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh and by the way, no matter WHAT the professor says, you CAN NOT make a radio out of coconuts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 18, 2009 Apr 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

Oh and by the way, no matter WHAT the professor says, you CAN NOT make a radio out of coconuts.

Well actually you can.

Drill out two holes get the coconut Milk out. then saw open coconut place the guts of transistor radio inside and place the volume and tuning controls in the hole you drilled to remove the milk.

Then try out adjusting screws on the tuning capacitor to compensate for the wires added betwen Tuninging cap and the ciruit board.

Now put a hinge on bottom and latch on top of two pieces so you can get in every now and again to change 9 volt battery.  put some type of foam ring on Bottom to prevent coconut from rolling aroung.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

Dude. You need to quite reading. It seems like you simply believe anything to read to be a fact stated by someone in authority.

So put the books down, turn on the TV and watch some Gilligans Island reruns...

Well acording to this new system only two people are identified as Adobe officials. everyone including you are listed as Users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Mark A. Boyd wrote:

Good grief, Phillip. Noel is just speculating (as are most of us). Notice key phrases suce as "It looks like" and "it looks as if", etc. And Noel never said anything about hard-coded.

Is that the most authoritative source you have? User-to-user speculation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL! and the user is hisseff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

LOL! and the user is hisseff!

Believe it or not, it is the OP.

I was curious why the link did not scroll my browser to any specific message, no matter how small I made the window. Then I noticed that replies to the OP use that URL in the "in response to: Ildhund" links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SilverlineSVF say that the subject lines break certain rules for character count for Subject lines, which should be which no more than 60 Characters Maximum.

The only references to silverlineSVF I found in my quick search (excluding news.admin.net-abuse.sightings) were in posts from you to this forum and to a newsgroup where you posted complete headers. In that newsgroup, there were complaints about SPAM-LOW and SPAM-MED being added to your subjects lines in the replies. silverlineSVF flagged the Subject for having "Between 40 and 60 chars", and gave it a "Failed test" rate of 2.

It is clearly a spam filter that you or your ISP is using to warn you based on the length of subjects - a rather silly method. These "certain rules" seem to be arbitrarily made up by that company. What is the correct length that will not get flagged? Who pays attention to the length of their subjects when writing emails? Dumb.

If I were you, I would stop paying attention to those x-silverline headers when looking for improvements/problems with the Jive emails. Actually, I would see if I could turn off that filter completely. I tried searching around kimbanet.com for the method, but couldn't find it. But then quite a few of their links are 404! You might be able to enable/disable it or tweak its properties by logging to your webmail account with them - if they are hosting your email account, anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark A. Boyd wrote:

SilverlineSVF say that the subject lines break certain rules for character count for Subject lines, which should be which no more than 60 Characters Maximum.

The only references to silverlineSVF I found in my quick search (excluding news.admin.net-abuse.sightings) were in posts from you to this forum and to a newsgroup where you posted complete headers. In that newsgroup, there were complaints about SPAM-LOW and SPAM-MED being added to your subjects lines in the replies. silverlineSVF flagged the Subject for having "Between 40 and 60 chars", and gave it a "Failed test" rate of 2.

It is clearly a spam filter that you or your ISP is using to warn you based on the length of subjects - a rather silly method. These "certain rules" seem to be arbitrarily made up by that company. What is the correct length that will not get flagged? Who pays attention to the length of their subjects when writing emails? Dumb.

If I were you, I would stop paying attention to those x-silverline headers when looking for improvements/problems with the Jive emails. Actually, I would see if I could turn off that filter completely. I tried searching around kimbanet.com for the method, but couldn't find it. But then quite a few of their links are 404! You might be able to enable/disable it or tweak its properties by logging to your webmail account with them - if they are hosting your email account, anyway.

I was simply asking each time whether this had any bearing on the problem of threading of emails from adobeforums. I have no problem with any other new groups or Forums I visit except for adobe forum. all othe emails, newsgroups, Forums I can sort and show thread by any of the choices in the screenshot above.

What make the adobe forum email notifications unique is the serial numbers at the end. It makes each notification a unique item.

Apple forums had a similar problem, and I left the forums because I was receiving up to 5000 post a day all unthreaded. I had been a participant for years. I believe they have remedied the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ildhund wrote:

(1) The first part looks like six randomly generated ascii characters signifying the date.

Hmm. All of the emails I got today do have 5 digits in the first section. And many of them came in before your post, so either it's coincidental that you came up with the same idea, or just a simple coincidence, or . . . ?

The middle three characters have been tvi for all the notifications I have received.

All of mine have identical, but not they're not tvi.

My incoming emails today: [HxgfZ-.....]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mark. That wasn't supposed to indicate that I'd made a thoroughgoing study. It's obvious that the first part has a random element and it changes daily. This means that an alphanumeric sort will most probably show posts out of date order, which is a nuisance. This thread is a case in point:

grouped_by_subject.PNG

The OP doesn't show, of course, but the first two responses - with code 2g53KZ - sort after the rest, with code 1j5tSN. It should be simple to modify that code so that the first character, at least, increments.

The last part of the code does increment, and the slight discrepancies might reflect the different times it takes for posts arrive and drift through the system before the code is allocated.

My only point is that minor changes - like dropping the 'Re: ' - would make life a little bit easier for those of us who prefer not to use the web forum. No silk purse will ever come out of this sow's ear, and the sooner they bring back NNTP, the better.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think the analysis of the codes is entirely correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Jochem. No, that wasn't any sort of analysis, just observations of

things which, with slight amendments, might make reading posts in an email

client a bit easier. It's a nightmare at present.

The java code you refer to talks about the 'Reply-To:' header, which is

similar to but not the same as what gets put in the subject line. It's just

the idea of random characters in a key position that annoys me, when I can't

see that it has to be like that.

Wouldn't it help if the system respected the 'In-Reply-To:' header that I

suppose most clients add to outgoing messages?

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am missing NNTP access more and more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines