• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message after opening .PDFs

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't why changing a motherboard and loading new drivers would cause a problem, but since doing so today, about 10-15 seconds after opening a .pdf file from an email attachment or website, there is the following message: "Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional cannot be launched at this time.  You must launch at least one other suite component (such as Adobe Photoshop) before launching Acrobat 8 Professional."  I have CS3.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 30, 2009 Jun 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong forum, I'm afraid. This is the forum for talking about the forums. I'd guess you need either the Acrobat forum or a suite forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2009 Jul 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was my initial thought, then I saw what looked like a few help requests.  Unfortunately, I've found - and am finding again - that my chances of getting an answer to a question like this on those forums you suggest are about the same as my becoming Pope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you open photoshop?

As you know with Windows if you change out a motherboard, add RAM, or extra hard drive Windows Licensing Service will kick in due to the change (sometimes as different hardware carries a different count score). Same thing goes for Adobe licensing software. Anytime a motherboard or hard drive is replaced it no longer matches what was recorded in the prior licensing. Best thing to do is de-activate the software before the motherboard or hard drive change. Then re-activate when all is said and done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I wasn't aware of the reactivation Adobe required after a motherboard change.  Just noticed MS Office does too.  Opening Photoshop and reactivating there solved it.  Too bad the error message isn't a bit more specific as to why another suite component has to be opened.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what happens if your Drive becomes warm as Toast and gives up the ghost while your using it? I've had that happen to my laptop a while back.

Btw: was able to put all my applications back on.

But thought it would interesting for others to know in case this happens to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was it on your lap?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No but burn my fingers trying to get the battery unplug so it would shut down .

First HD I had go down the tubes in my 20 plus years using Macintosh computers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My last dead laptop hard drive went: click.......... click................ click..................click............. mmmmmmmm  oh oh. The new 7200 RPM was much much better and faster.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to laugh.  I was originally (and appropriately) told that this was the wrong forum, but now the thread's been hijacked.  I guess Mr. Jones is at least on the forum topic, if in violation of forum posting rules.  Will have to unsubscribe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technically Dec9 started the opening by suggeting that if you change HD  Motherboard or add a HD you have to  deactivate and reactivate ...

Then I asked what is procedure for those that their drive dies while using it. Stating I had one to get hot as a Toaster before I could get the battery out to shut down. Naturally ther were a few cute remarks I had to answer.

No one has bothered to answer the question I posed. I know what happened in my case, but wanted answered here so if it should come up and yes the question should have been in Acrobat forum but since discussion was started it should be finished.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No guns were used nor any animals injured during the hi-jack.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

My last dead laptop hard drive went: click.......... click................ click..................click............. mmmmmmmm  oh oh. The new 7200 RPM was much much better and faster.

I had that hapen on my desktop Unit was original Hard Drive  it had. That happend a moth after the laptop drive fried.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When one of my Macs died a few weeks back I had some warning, so I deactivated everything just in time. Old HD in new (2nd hand) machine worked fine. the only one I didn't de-activate was Golive, but that doesn't need activating any more since it's discontinued. (Ssssssh! )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

When one of my Macs died a few weeks back I had some warning, so I deactivated everything just in time. Old HD in new (2nd hand) machine worked fine. the only one I didn't de-activate was Golive, but that doesn't need activating any more since it's discontinued. (Ssssssh! )

I didn't  I was in fact reading this forum so, went  to white screen the the little winder symbol the the spinning Beach Ball (does same thing as the hour glass that flips on PC's) the, a folder symbol with question mark, then definite feeling of heat, Then when I removed the battery to shut down blistered my fingers on the aluminum case.

Okay let's get back to the matters at hand. My original question stands. What happens if you have no warning and a hard drive dies?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Okay let's get back to the matters at hand. My original question stands. What happens if you have no warning and a hard drive dies?

You call tech support and plead for them to forgive you and give you another activation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

You call tech support and plead for them to forgive you and give you another activation.

Well it was almost that way but not quite.

I explained what happened, what machine, giving serial number of the machine, and Serail number of the version of Acrobat I had. They said I needed a wavier, said hold on, (about 5 -10 minutes) then said try it now. And it worked.  They noted its unual for them to do this but it does happen in special circumtances. Evevidently I had a one time repreive.

Thanks everyone. for finally getting down to matter at hand.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

They noted its unual for them to do this but it does happen in special circumtances. Evevidently I had a one time repreive.

I bet they tell all the girls that.

Seriously. That's the same story I got a couple of years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~graffiti wrote:

PjonesCET wrote:

They noted its unual for them to do this but it does happen in special circumtances. Evevidently I had a one time repreive.

I bet they tell all the girls that.

Seriously. That's the same story I got a couple of years ago.

Well it proves thay can be accommodating if necessary, but its not something they do regularly. It has to be under under very special circumtances.

Now let's move on to another topic you (more than one) can beat me up on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Activation is tied to a combination of CPU and Hard drive. So if you change either of those 2 things you basically have a new computer according to Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines