• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Error message saying posting failed, but it really succeeded?

Engaged ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was writing a question on the Acrobat forum, and I started to get a periodic red message at the bottom saying that it couldn't auto-save, that I was possibly signed out, and offering a link to refresh the page. (I don't remember the exact wording.) I was not signed out, so I don't know what the problem was. I refreshed another tab I had open on the forum, and it showed me still signed in.

When I finished writing and clicked Post, I got the same error. But the message only stays visible for a couple seconds, and I didn't respond fast enough to click on the refresh-the-page link. So I clicked Post again just to force the message to reappear so I could click on the link. (I chose that method rather than my browser's refresh in the hopes that it would be smarter about saving what was in the form.) Most of my content went away (proving that auto-save was indeed failing), but I restored it from where I had copied it elsewhere and submitted successfully.

But the surprise was that I got three emails from moderation: one approval and two rejections! Does that mean that the first two submissions, which supposedly failed, actually succeeded?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

OsakaWebbie  wrote

If the system says the post submission failed (no matter what the reason), it shouldn't secretly submit the post anyway.

Correct!

And yes, "reject" is not a nice message, but even I as a moderator get from time to time reject messages from my peers.

And yes: it is definitely something that is worth reporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may happen if you need some time to complete your post. There may also be from time to time intermittent problems with the forum software.

Rejections are normal on double entries. That also is no reason to get nervous. Only when you get considered spamming the fora with double and triple messages you could get in trouble.

I have also from time to time the disconnect message.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I wasn't nervous about getting in trouble (although I'll admit that the word "rejected" is not pleasant to see) but was wondering if there might be a bug that needs reporting. If the system says the post submission failed (no matter what the reason), it shouldn't secretly submit the post anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OsakaWebbie  wrote

If the system says the post submission failed (no matter what the reason), it shouldn't secretly submit the post anyway.

Correct!

And yes, "reject" is not a nice message, but even I as a moderator get from time to time reject messages from my peers.

And yes: it is definitely something that is worth reporting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How would I report it? Or can you simply do it as a moderator? I don't have any screenshots or other supporting evidence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simply update this thread if it happens again (or worse on a regular basis).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay. But I don't even post here on a regular basis (most of the time I find answers to my Adobe questions by reading what others have written), so I'm unlikely to be a good test case.

But if others come here because it happened to you also, please speak up.

(I had a hard time choosing which of your replies to designate the "answer", as they were all helpful pieces.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines