• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Evidently Nicknames is broken again or still broken

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2009 Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't post a question to any forum (not really sure even this will work.)

Any help in this regard would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 18, 2009 Feb 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With difficulty, Don!

:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randal, I'm sorry, but I don't quite understand your situation. You have the name randalqueen here and you have an Adobe ID at Adobe.com that has the nickname randalqueen.

You should only get the error that the name already exists if you are trying to register a new account at either location. But you shouldn't be registering a new account. You already have an account.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thes particular forums on Web Crossing were launched in January 2000. Before that we had web forums on a system called Well Engaged. I don't recall exactly when those started. For a while before that we had concurrent forums on CompuServe, AOL, and MSN.

Of all, the CompuServe ones were my favorites because of an offline reader called TapCIS (previously ZapCIS). MSN Forums were my least favored. They had kind of odd threading, so you often lost track of discussions and discovered new messages week or so later.

I think I started on CompuServe as a Sysop in the Photography Forum, then moved over the DTPForum. And for those who might not be aware, the old DTPFOrum folks still have an online system at http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/ where you can find a number of the regulars from CompuServe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Can you check on my screen name as well?

I find it hard to believe that there's another Harbs out there... ;)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harbs with an Adobe ID has a different email address than you do. And is in Australia. So, yes, it looks like there are two of you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. I've never been to Australia so I guess you're right!

I'd like to meet him. Maybe we're related... ;)

Cheers mate!
Harbs (the first) B)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harbs, if you add a dash to your name you will be able to use it. Try Harbs-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, thanks for looking at this. For whatever reason, I am getting the page that says I need to migrate. Any time I try to post something to any forum I am getting the page to migrate.

I agree that I have a nickname already. Also an AdobeID. But for whatever reason, even though I have not had previous problems, and allowing cookies and all - I cannot get that migration page to go away.

When I try, by adding my nickname to the existing AdobeID account, it says name already taken.

This is annoying because every time I am posting something and have to go thru this, or select to do this later, it looses my reply that I am trying to post. Then I have to re-log in and start over. I am now selecting what I type and copying that so I don't have to remember what I wrote and what I was trying to post.

That is my situation...

Hm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>That does go back a bit!

screamin' 2400 baud baby!!! (rememeber the old memorex commercial with the guy in the chair?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, your mention of the forum's former use of Well Engaged conferencing software was of interest to me. I have been a member of the online community The Well since 1992. It has always been accessible through a commandline interface, so to speak, and then when the Web became available in the mid-90s, the Well used an additional Web interface known as Well Engaged. The Well, now owned by Salon, no longer owns the rights to Well Engaged but still uses it -- as well as the commandline "picospan" interface that is loved by the traditionalists.

The online interface battles there are much more intense than those here, believe it or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 19, 2009 Feb 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably good reminiscing for you at http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/5.05/ff_well_pr.html

I never got involved in the Well, but I will have been a member of Howard's Brainstorm community for 10 years this August. This is the first "always open" tab I have on Firefox, Brainstorms is the second.

Brainstorms uses http://www.caucus.com/ btw, which would be a good contender for software that would work well to meet the demands of the members of this group. I hope that JC and company had a chance to check it out. My only real question would be whether it's beefy enough to handle these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>John, thanks for looking at this. For whatever reason, I am getting the page that says I need to migrate. Any time I try to post something to any forum I am getting the page to migrate.

>I agree that I have a nickname already. Also an AdobeID. But for whatever reason, even though I have not had previous problems, and allowing cookies and all - I cannot get that migration page to go away.

>When I try, by adding my nickname to the existing AdobeID account, it says name already taken.

The above is the part I don't understand. You already have an Adobe ID. And that Adobe ID already has your name in it. How/why are you trying to add your name? Is is possible that you have more than one Adobe ID? Send an email to userforum at adobe dot com with your Adobe ID (email address) in it and I can try to look it up and see if there are multiple accounts.

>This is annoying because every time I am posting something and have to go thru this, or select to do this later, it looses my reply that I am trying to post. Then I have to re-log in and start over. I am now selecting what I type and copying that so I don't have to remember what I wrote and what I was trying to post.

Another part I'm not following. You should only get the prompt to associate (migrate) your accounts on login. And you should only have to log in once per browser session. Is it possible that your browser is not accepting cookies from the forums? That is the only reason I can think of that you would need to login each time you try to post a message.

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, just replying to this I lost yet another message that I typed up already, so here I go for the second time around...

John, I can click on post reply without being logged on. No where else can I think of where I can do that.

When I take the time to type it all up... then hit the red Post Message button, it will ask me to log on. Once I log on, then it will give me two choices, to "continue" or to "do it later". Pick either one and I will completely lose the post I just typed up. Sometimes I can back the page up to the original and copy/paste again and sometimes I cannot and have to remember what I wrote and how I wrote it and try again.

SO NO, one cannot "do later". If I say continue, then it will tell me my name is already taken. If I go to look at my AdobeID, there is no screen name and if I type in randalqueen, it will say already taken.

I am just stuck in a loop. I will email you and maybe you can fix this on your end. If not, I will just stop coming by here till I get back from Alaska next Oct and maybe then it will be all good. I leave soon enough anyway...

Thanks for your time and efforts.

Randal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 20, 2009 Feb 20, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I figured out the reason you can't select randalqueen as your screen name for your Adobe ID. You already have another ID with that screen name. You can fix that by logging in with your other ID, change the name there, then come back with the ID you want to use and then you should be able to select the name you want.

I don't see any issue on this side with your account here. It sounds like a cookie issue in your browser. Can you try a different browser? Or delete any cookies from adobeforums.com?

One more thought, are you coming in here via a bookmark? Or from the main forums page at http://www.adobe.com/support/forums? Is your forum url http:// or https://? Is the url adobeforums.com or www.adobeforums.com?

It should be http://www.adobeforums.com/...

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2009 Feb 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
John, the problem is the forum was linking our account with our email address. I left the one address years and years ago. So when I tried to log on and could not remember the password, I had no choice at that point. I created a new account with my new email. Can't be reminded of a password when it can't send an email to you because you left that ISP.

So finally after trying and trying to change screen names and rename 'me' on the one account and then move that screen name to the other account, finally today it worked. And seems to have actually taken.

Thanks. I hope this is it.

I am not sure what the solution should have been. I was not using the account for quite some time. Had I been able to log on using either a screen name or email address and then been able to modify or change the email address, I would not have had then two ID's. Or if the system purged old IDs where people had not log on with them for the last three years, that ID would have gone away and I would have been able to modify my other account.

But not sure the best solution. Of course, I had to finally remember the old password and was lucky that one of mine worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines