• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

feedback on CF forum's design: please ensure links open in separate window

Community Expert ,
May 28, 2009 May 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Currently, if a posting in the Coldfusion forum contains a link and you click on it, the new page opens on top of the current page. That is, the new  replaces the current page in the browser.

That can be quite inconvenient, particularly when the link takes you out of the forum. Could the forum webmaster make sure that embedded links open in a separate window? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always right click and tell my browser to open in a new tab or new window

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK wrote:

Currently, if a posting in the Coldfusion forum contains a link and you click on it, the new page opens on top of the current page. That is, the new  replaces the current page in the browser.

That can be quite inconvenient, particularly when the link takes you out of the forum. Could the forum webmaster make sure that embedded links open in a separate window? Thanks.

There are no more coldfusion forums this mess is all Jive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nevermind

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in firefox, shift click opens in new window, crtl-click opens in new tab.

in ie6 shift click opens in a new window. not sure about 7 or 8 or opera as i don't have them installed to test here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FF also has a pref. to open links in a new tab. "target=_blank" is being phased out anyway, I'm pretty sure, on the grounds that users should choose how to open links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

stoopid users! don't trust them! they don't know what they want!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Middle click opens in new tab in Win FF, IE 7, Safari 3.2.2 and Opera 9.64. Although there is a chance that I set that as a preference if one or more of those browsers didn't have it as default

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK wrote on 2009-05-28 16:37:

Could the forum webmaster make sure that embedded links open in a separate window?

I would like to vote against this. It is already trivially possible to

do what is asked for: if you want a link to open in a new window you can

just use a middle / shift / control click instead of a regular click. On

the other hand if this is implemented it is no longer possible to open

the link in the same window for those who want to. So effectively

implementing this is taking away control from the reader (which strongly

goes against accessibility guidelines).

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2009 May 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know how to initiate a new tab or window in all 4 browser types I use. I'm also aware of the usability mantra on new windows.

I simply expected the design of the Coldfusion forum to be backward compatible. Embedded links opened new windows before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK wrote:

I simply expected the design of the Coldfusion forum to be backward compatible. Embedded links opened new windows before.

The aim of these new forums is commonality across the whole range of Adobe products, so forget it!

And backwards compatible with a load of **** is not a good idea anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BKBK wrote:

I know how to initiate a new tab or window in all 4 browser types I use. I'm also aware of the usability mantra on new windows.

As has already been pointed out, there are no more Coldfusion forums.  There are also no more WebX forums.  There are only Jive forums.  And that's no jive.  But it is in fact a load of jive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2009 May 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
As has already been pointed out, there are no more Coldfusion forums. There are also no more WebX forums.  There are only Jive forums. And that's no jive. But it is in fact a load of jive.

Indeed. I  did mark Buko's post as a helpful answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines