• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Attachments Temporarily Disabled: Joke? Ha! Ha!

Enthusiast ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Feb 22, 2010, File Attachments were disabled... with the caveat that it was temporary. That 'Temporarily' now seems to be a joke... at whose expense i wonder...

Because, today, many moons and even more suns later ( i refuse to count), it still remains disabled...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think they are trying to disable both so they don't have to put up with it. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't kill  the camera button next. They have no interest in allowing help. For all we know  they want to shut the forums down so they want have to deal with the customers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

I think they are trying to disable both so they don't have to put up with it. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't kill  the camera button next. They have no interest in allowing help. For all we know  they want to shut the forums down so they want have to deal with the customers

Wow, that's a pretty harsh statement. What company in their right mind would want customers to go away?

As a Community Help moderator as well as a pretty active forum participant, I really can't say with a straight face that Adobe has "no interest in allowing help". I think it's quite the opposite.

But you also have to balance that with the fact that the economy has slowed a lot and ALL companies are in a constant search of ways to cut costs. Perhaps forum upgrades or whatever have been placed on hold until things improve for all of us.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What planet are you living on? Adobe has done nothing but drive loyal customers away from this forum ever since they implemented this crap forum change. There used to be very knowledgeable people here, who left after adobe's basically said get lost, Knowing how great this place once was,and how much of a waste it is now, its pretty clear how much adobe really gives two hoots about its customers. and whats really amazing is, these people were helping fellow adobe customers in large numbers for free, and now you hear nothing but complaints about poor customer service. Thats a real shock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

ANY software (and I do mean ANY) has its own shortcomings. I've yet to see one piece of software that is perfect. Just because you feel the forums in their existing format are crap doesn't mean they really are. The fact is, they work for a vast number of users. Many users receive excellent help minute after minute and month after month. I think that has to do more with the attitude of forum participants than with the software used, but I digress.

Indeed I'm aware that many folks were unhappy with the forums changeover to a format that is common across products. Adobe did what it felt it had to. I'm sure they were aware that not everyone would like it or be happy about it. The forums are modeled after the golden rule. That's to say "they that have the gold will rule". After all, Adobe is the one footing the bill for the forums. It's not like we all are expected to pay to use them. But there are costs that reach far beyond what we are able to see.

The only folks that I'm aware of that Adobe said "get lost" to, were some that were extremely vocal and abusive. The forums I participate in saw no such loss and I'm aware from others that they have seen similar results in their own.

I'm sure that when Adobe told the abusive folks to get lost it wasn't done as a knee jerk reaction. It was only done after repeated warnings and seeing that said folks weren't interested in changing their behavior. After observing some rather shocking posts myself, I can only say that it was probably beyond time for some of them to be invited to leave.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These forums are affected by important bugs, not minor shortcomings; and several of them were reported in the trial version of the new software and are still well and alive.

You have told us perhaps too many times how everything was, is, and will continue being perfect in your little feud. A quick look at -for example- the Reader forum shows that there are places where things are not so perfect. The number of repeated basic questions that a tireless tiny group leaded by graffiti keeps on answering everyday because the FAQs were lost in the changeover and there seems to be no intention of replacing them, is really appalling, and I have not seen any high level discussion there for months. In my opinion, this is a change for the worse. But of course, you know better: I am just a mere user with no special qualifications, while you are a Community Professional, and a moderator.

As for the cost of maintaining these forums, my guess is that it is enormously lower than the cost of a decent client support service that, if we are to believe to the many complaints posted here and in the product forums, is worse than non existent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Claudio

I only have the status of Community Professional and Moderator helper because I've been a tireless forums supporter since long before Adobe entered my world. In other words, I'm basically a simple user same as you. I'm a total volunteer that freely shares my time and I do not receive a paycheck from Adobe. Only recognition for being helpful to others. The forums activity for Jive only paint a partial picture because I've been through about six different incarnations of assorted forums software. Some I liked and some I didn't. But it's what we have to work with.

So please do tell us of your vast experience supporting forums that support a hundred or so products, thousands of users and probably spanning numerous servers. Obviously you seem to feel that you know much better than the folks at Adobe how things should be run. Personally I do not envy the position of Adobe and the folks that are responsible for maintenance of our community. They probably have Adobe management on one side screaming that they need to cut costs while they have the user community on the other telling them how bad things are with the community and the forums.

I never claimed things were perfect. All I did was state the facts as I see them. And the facts are that (pay close attention to this because it seems lost for so many) in the areas where I particpate we didn't see the world ending as some would like to paint the picture. Nobody left in disgust because the house was painted a different color and the room arrangement was different. The forums have shortcomings for sure. I openly said that all software has bugs. I meant the forums were no exception to this because they are software. I'm not saying this holds true for all forums. Only the ones where I participate. I've seen similar reports from other forum moderators here.

As for FAQs, I myself have created FAQs for my own fora and can attest that the majority of users simply ignore them. So even if they exist, you STILL end up answering many basic questions day after day from new users. Such is the nature of forums support. The way you get used to it is by remembering that we all are new to things and need help. So we create FAQs and hope for the best.

Basically you are saying that the forums simply aren't worth visiting. So this begs the following question. I will note that everyone has their own reasons for doing so and by asking you this please note that I'm in no way suggesting you should consider leaving. I'm genuinely interested to know what it is that keeps folks such as yourself and Phillip visiting day after day if you honestly feel the forums have nothing left to offer.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think people have learned to live with the differences arising from the adoption of jive.

What is really annoying are the faults (which in some cases have crept in after the change-over).

And it is really ironic that Adobe – the big encourager of upgrading for its own products – is lagging so many versions behind in the jive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 15, 2010 May 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes

John Joslin wrote:

I think people have learned to live with the differences arising from the adoption of jive.

What is really annoying are the faults (which in some cases have crept in after the change-over).

And it is really ironic that Adobe – the big encourager of upgrading for its own products – is lagging so many versions behind in the jive.

yes we are at 2.5.16 and Jive is already up to version 4 if not newer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My vast experience supporting these forums? None. Just frequently posting for years suggestions to improve them, when suggestions produced results or answers; unsuccessfully trying for years to have the forums in Spanish at least with all fixed text in correct Spanish; and cooperating in helping others when I was a more active and up to date user of some Adobe products. Nothing that can be compared with your titanic efforts.

We all know that no novice looking for help will look at the FAQs (or to already posted similar questions), but they were a good help for not having to write endlessly the same answers. And it is pitiful that such a vast amount of accumulated knowledge has been lost for ever.

Why do I still keep visiting the forums everyday, and even try to continue contributing in them? Hope. Hope that bugs that were reported a year ago will someday be corrected, that respect for users will be restored, that the strong group spirit we had in the product forums will be recovered. That those very many who have silently stopped coming by their own initiative will know of these changes and come back.

And we are discussing things not directly related with the opening message, so this thread may get locked any minute now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me its the desire to help others and to strive to point out short commings of the Forums with the frevent hope Adobe, Jive, and the moderators care about it (a fruitless endevour).  In The Acrobat forum its down to Claudio, Mark Kaslow one or two others, and myself answering questions. While my answers may not be perefct at times I am constantly getting thanks you, and even followups on ocassion off list. So I must do something right once in a while.

In other words I give a .... (add your own words as you desire.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If they were so interested, the wouldn't keep puttingin Road blocks in the way. they would be fixing forum problems as they crop up not on some silly pre determined schedule.

they still haven't fixed threading for email notifications (number 1 for me)

They still haven't fixed the problem of typing breaking in mid sentence. that to work around you have to hit return 3-4 times hit back space key 3-4 times to stop.

And they haven't even acknowledged much less looked at the problem with people accounts being logged out without their input and then logging in with some strange name with strange Characters. JVD has but admits he doesn't know what's causing it. He has posted a work around. But anything posted while under that Strange name is lost to eternity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was an Adobe-Admin comment (maybe in that original thread?), that work was on-going. No schedule was mentioned, IIRC. While it would be nice to get it back, maybe patching the security is just taking longer than expected.

Maybe when I get back on-line in two weeks, I will see the little Attach File link. Here's hoping!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 16, 2010 May 16, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it appears that as of Sunday, May 16, 2010 (5:00PM PDT), Attach Files is back!

Will it stay? Is this a temporary anomaly? Who knows?

Hunt

[Edit] This was in the Premiere Hardware forum, so things might differ by forum.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where? I don't see it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They are just teasing us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

It seems that you are correct. Just checked this AM (May 17, 2010), and even in the PrPro forum, where I saw it yesterday, it's not there any more.

Just a teaser, but might indicate that work IS being done - or maybe not.

If I do see it again, I will report its presence and forum location.

Maybe Adobe saw my post, and realized that it had slipped back in... ?

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe they just brought it back so wen can't say i

t wasn't brought back even if for a few seconds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

I am beginning to suspect that it is somehow your fault!

I swear that it was there for much of the day. Unfortunately, I did not try it, as I had no non-JPEG file to Attach. Now, I wish I had tried with a simple TXT file, just to be sure. My first reaction was "whew, been gone too long. Glad that it's finally back." Obviously, I was premature with my happiness, but that happens too often to me.

Maybe one day soon?

Luck to us all,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't pack it off on me. I wasn't the designer of the web forum Or the one that bought this piece of junk. I would have looked for something else.

I believe they are doing it to get pleasure out torturing us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe they are doing it to get pleasure out torturing us.

You could be correct. Actually, there are probably many at Adobe, who need a good laugh, now that CS5 has been rolled out. We are but the butt of that joke... ?

Somehow, I still think that you had something to do with it. They were visible to me for a bit, and then you replied, and they seem to have disappeared. Have you seen any Adobe black helicopters over your Mid-Atlantic abode?

Still, good luck to us all, and a rapid return of the Attach Files function!

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I had that much power. If did I would wave m

y magic wand and suddenly we would be using a different forum system and u

pdate would be avaiable as soon as they are tested instead of on some silly sc

hedule. The database to names would be replaced and all

bugs removed so cluadion and other wouldn't have to worry about the

irnames changing from day to day. There would be no automatic signout of

some people in the middle of post.

But alas  I am but a human and have no such power.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

But alas  I am but a human and have no such power.

After so many months, I have my serious doubts that anyone has them.

BTW, if your screen name is Phillip Jones, how come that, when I quote you, you are shown as PjonesCET?

Message was edited by: Claudio González; additional question

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no idea. why it that way I have setup to show my screen name as my Real name maybe I  need to set something else in preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines