• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Attachments Temporarily Disabled: Joke? Ha! Ha!

Enthusiast ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Feb 22, 2010, File Attachments were disabled... with the caveat that it was temporary. That 'Temporarily' now seems to be a joke... at whose expense i wonder...

Because, today, many moons and even more suns later ( i refuse to count), it still remains disabled...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

When quoted, I still appear as the_wine_snob, a screen name that appeared from the distant past with the Jive fora, and then disappeared with the last big update. Stuff happens. So long as most things work for me, I try to live with the rest.

You are not alone,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 17, 2010 May 17, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could it be because for majority of questions, there is absolutely no need to attach any files?  Microsoft Forums (or their now defunct Usenet Newsgroups) never allow any attachments and it is there where attachments can help in forming a question and answer because of the nature of its products.

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In several of the product fora, the attachment of long text files for say Process Explorer, or another utility, is very important. We use those to help diagnose users' issues, with their computers and their programs.

Now, I use the attachment of screen-caps (camera icon) much more often, but posters with issues will benefit from the ability to attach non-image files. In many fora, it would probably go mostly unused. In the Premiere fora, it is very useful.

Just an observation,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
May 19, 2010 May 19, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

In several of the product fora, the attachment of long text files for say Process Explorer, or another utility, is very important.

In a forum, an attachment is a link to an external file. Just because Adobe doesn't offer to host that external file for you on the forums doesn't mean you can't add links to external files to your message. Just upload them somewhere. For instance, any forum user automatically has an account at acrobat.com where you can host and share file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In a forum, an attachment is a link to an external file. Just because Adobe doesn't offer to host that external file for you on the forums doesn't mean you can't add links to external files to your message. Just upload them somewhere. For instance, any forum user automatically has an account at acrobat.com where you can host and share file.

Well, then why are we continually told »File Attachments Temporarily Disabled« and not just made aware of the abandonment of the feature, if that should be the intention?

As for Dave’s question:

Could it be because for majority of questions, there is absolutely no need to attach any files

In the Photoshop (MacIntosh) Forum a layered File would in my opinion often be able to replace lengthy texts and/or multiple screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

c.pfaffenbichler wrote on 5/19/2010 2:28 PM:

Well, then why are we continually told »http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa#« and not just made aware of the abandonment of the feature, if that should be the intention?

Adobe works in mysterious ways.

My personal opinion is that it is impossible to protect any HTTP based

system which for its security depends on the same origin principle,

while simultaneously hosting user generated content files and allowing

arbitrary user agents. There are just to many vectors to make such a

system host content with cross site scripting (HTML, PDFs, SWFs etc.)

and there is no limitation on client side execution that is foolproof

across browsers. For more reading on the subject see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_scripting#Persistent

Maybe by the time IE no longer uses content-type sniffing this sort of

hosting can safely be enabled, but for now I hope Adobe spends their

efforts elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that's true  as I proved in another post. I have my own website. But I have a limit (based on what I paid service for , from LunarPages) as to amount of content I can put my website total. And amount of uploads in a Month. I can't afford the luxury of every time I need to point out something that words can't do justice to, uploading to my website and then removing it to keep my space usage down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

I can't afford the luxury of every time I need to point out something that words can't do justice to, uploading to my website and then removing it to keep my space usage down.

There is so much free hosting available these days you have no need to use your own web site.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I find each time I've used one of those "Free" hosting sites the level of my Spam increases.  and most generate advertisment (reason they are free)  you have sit through before you can upload anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TechSmith's Jing doesn't do that. Just sayin...

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed jing at one time and for some reason reason I removed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

You got me here. I know TechSmith as the producers of Camtasia, and their CODEC's, but cannot fathom how that would apply. OTOH, I have not heard of Jing, so there must be more to TechSmith, than I know.

As for posting non-image files, I can do that from my FTP site, but do not feel obligated to open that up to the poor posters, with issues with Adobe products, who could be helped, if only we could see the diagnostic files. At some point, we helpful users must draw a line on how far we'll go to help other users, when Adobe T/S is of zero use.

Sorry to be so negative, but I am tiring of doing the T/S work, with little to no support.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I retried Jing and rembered why I uninstalled it. It had that That sun icon that couln not be moved and would hide items that you need to use on ocassion.

However, I figured out where the preferences are kept up a hot key combo, and set it to show in the menu bar. This would be an acceptable replacement.Until the Fix the server.

IMAGE2

Images3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip

At first I thought I just had to live with the little sun icon where it placed it to start with. But you can click and drag it to other locations.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have adjusted the little sun Icon as well. and Since it's not that expensive for the pro version $15.00 a year I've upgraded to Pro which allows for capturing video in H.264 and uploading to YouTube among other things Plus I believe it removes the advertising I am going to try something here and see if I am correct:

Test

Yes I was correct no advertising.

Message was edited by: Phillip Jones Misspelled words

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

Not only is the user's level of spam likely to increase, but for many of the people, who access the files, their level of spam is likely to increase, not to mention the ads, that one must navigate, just to view the file.

Perfect world - we will all have dedicated servers, and can upload our various, non-image files, so that others can view them. Now, if the poor casual user needs to upload those files, well they are on their own. Maybe they can just upload those to India, or wherever, and hope for the best.

I mean, after all, we are just trying to fill in the hole that the lack of Adobe T/S has created. If we cannot get the info to do so, then so be it. Let them call Adobe T/S and be told "uninstall - reinstall," until the cows come home.

Whatever,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It may be true for this forum. But it doesn't work In Acrobat Pro Forum in which I answer Questions and ther is a Definite need for it there. And Even here it quite usual to explain some that would take a thousand words otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave

I too agree with Hunt and Phillip. In many cases questions are easily answered by being able to see a screen capture of what is happening.

However, having said that, I have to admit that as for the Attachment feature, I cannot say I would miss it all that much. I always found it frustrating that folks would ignore the capability of inserting the screen capture via the camera icon and they would always attach images. While it's a trivial thing, by using Attach instead of Insert, you are asking the reader to click a link to view an image that may be perfectly viewable right on the page.

So if a picture is worth a thousand words, a video has to be worth a kabillion pictures! I'm finding more and more uses for recording brief videos explaining how to overcome issues by using the free Jing product or Screenr.

http://www.jingproject.com

http://screenr.com

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

Captivate Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Adobe Certified Captivate Training

SorcerStone Blog

Captivate eBooks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay i'll give you a test which of these can your read: will show the disadvantages of the Camera Icon. I could agree with the Camera Icon except if the size is not a certain size  its made to be that size:

how good can you read this:

Acrobatpicture001.png

Now click on this link and try to read: http://www.phillipmjones.net/Acrobatpicture001.png

The advantage of the attachment is when click it expands to full size.

They could keep the file limt and remove the size limit for Camera and I could do  without attachments.

Now be honest and truthful. Oh, by the way the code to make attachments expand and contact its still there as you will see when you click the link. They just shut down the server used for attachments. Makes you belive the server used for hosting the attachments blew up and they don't have money to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip

Well, if you just look at the image on the page, sure it's a bit unclear because it's scaled down. But when I click it, it expands to the size I see with the Attachment link. And that size appears identical to what I get when I click the image itself. My browser is Firefox, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something just added. last we I could click till the cows come home and nothing happened I use SeaMonkey 2.0.4 which has the latest  html (Gecko Engine) that FireFox has.

if they added this ability to expand the attachment is no necssary. But it need to explained this function has bee added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Phillip

Am I correct in understanding you to believe the ability to click the image is something new? If so, I respectfully disagree. From day one of the new Jive forums I've noticed the capability.

However, I'm thinking that maybe it only happens if the image has been scaled to fit the page?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Captiv8r wrote:

Hi Phillip

Am I correct in understanding you to believe the ability to click the image is something new? If so, I respectfully disagree. From day one of the new Jive forums I've noticed the capability.

However, I'm thinking that maybe it only happens if the image has been scaled to fit the page?

Cheers... Rick

I've tried in the past and until I tried with mine I posted in this thread, this is the first time I have ever gotten it to work. I've tried clicking on them and nothing.

SeaMonkey  was Mozilla, was Netscape Communicator, was Netscape Navigator has actually been around long than IE. Javascript was actually stated a Mozilla/Netscape. So Mozilla (gecko based have always been up on Javascript) Chrome has come out with a new version and FF in next major version will have similar Javascript Handling as Chrome. IE is Just catching up to W3C standards with IE8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know about them SeaMonkeys, or that little fella' from Geiko Insurance, but in IE 7 and now Chrome, I've been able to expand embedded JPEG's and PNG's, from the earliest days.

I can only assume that that capability was browser-dependent.

Now, do you feed the SeaMonkeys to the Gecko???

Only problem that I have with the camera icon's embedded images is when the poster does a Save_As with a PS JPEG setting of 1, and even if I Save and Open in PS, I cannot read a danged character. I understand wanting to keep file sizes down, but consideration for readability MUST be taken into consideration. I recommend a PS setting of about an 8 - 9, but to Crop to the "subject" of the screen-cap, rather than sticking the whole Desktop up. We usually do not care about one's icons and the like - just the dialog box, or whatever.

Good luck to us all,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't  make a screen shot of the entire desktop . Usually it an entire preference wido a section of something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines