• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Attachments Temporarily Disabled: Joke? Ha! Ha!

Enthusiast ,
May 14, 2010 May 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Feb 22, 2010, File Attachments were disabled... with the caveat that it was temporary. That 'Temporarily' now seems to be a joke... at whose expense i wonder...

Because, today, many moons and even more suns later ( i refuse to count), it still remains disabled...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 18, 2010 May 18, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

I would never anticipate that you would do a full screen-cap. My reference was to some of the folk in other fora, especially new posters in the PrElements forum. I even did a tips article to help them understand how and why we request screen-caps, and how best help us help them.

Don't forget to feed the SeaMonkeys...

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually Phillip, both were readable to me, and I did not have my reading glasses on either.

Where I see the biggest use is with those thousand line diagnosis files, and similar. Those cannot be converted into a JPEG, or PNG and have ANY readability.

While your examples might not have pointed up the issue for me, I do agree 100% with you on the need in many instances, and in some fora.

I'll just try to be patient and get by,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rick,

I do agree that the image insert is usually the better method, and the capability that I use most often. Somewhere, I have a tips article on using the camera icon for images, and NOT the old, now MIA, Attach Files, and just for the reasons that you suggest.

I seldom require the Attach Files, but many users do. What happens is they will Copy/Paste 1000 lines of the diagnosis file into the reply. That works, but it's much easier to read a TXT file in a wordprocessor, and maybe get a good printout to study in depth, perhaps at the console of another computer, to compare notes, or to test.

I can imagine some of the nefarious "stuff" that people tried to upload via Attach Files, and realize Adobe's quandary at plugging holes. The vast majority of the subscribers are honorable folk with no ill-intent, but then there are those others. I just hope that Adobe can plug the holes, and return Attach Files.

On the PrePro forum, many of us ask the users to just attach the files in e-mails, or PM's to a couple of us. Unfortunately, the pair of eyes, that might have the fix, could well not be in that distribution list - that is the problem. We're getting by, and everyone is wrapped up with CS5 right now, so this is as good a time, as any, to have it down. When people start having issues, especially computer setup related issues, that will change. By then - maybe it'll be back?

What does puzzle the heck out of me is that it appeared for much of a day, in the fora that I frequent. False alarm, but it WAS there. Wish I had tried it, but had no text files to upload.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 20, 2010 May 20, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it seems that at least in the Premiere Pro forum, now the camera icon is not functioning either.

Timeline_Out-Point.jpg

This image will not upload there. The Upload button is grayed out.

Not sure what is happening, but it does make helping users a tad difficult.

Hunt

[Edit] Well, maybe I complained too soon. On the 9th try, things did work, although it took a very long time to even get the Attach Image dialog screen. Glad I have time to just sit and wait, and keep on trying.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You bragged too much on the camera button. When they found out you can  actually expand  items like on attachment they probably decided to remove it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

I was thinking of our prior discussions, when things went south. Not sure if it was just OE on my part, if the servers were hiccuping, or if there was some other issue. Could be any of those, or maybe something else entirely.

In my advanced old age, I have learned to not brag on ANYTHING, as I will soon have to eat all my words. Fate has a hate-on for me, and I have learned this through experience.

Still, cannot understand what was wrong with the camera icon for a bit there. If it was OE, I hope that I do not commit that again.

Like my wife's ex-COO was fond of saying, "no good deed goes unpunished." In my case, I was just trying to help a PrPro user, by showing them where their issue might lie. Maybe it was Adobe's India T/S staff, who messed up things, as they wanted to field the call, and put the user on hold for a month... At least the sitar hold-music is soothing.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually this is what they have said:

".We have temporarily disabled the ability to upload files to the forums in order to protect our customers/users from a potential security issue. Thank you for your patience while we mitigate this issue."

This suggests that Adobe Webmaster is not capable of protecting Adobe Website from potential security issues such as viruses, Trojans and pirated software.  This is very serious indeed and Adobe should be concerned about this and if necessary launch a full blown investigation as to why this is so.  I am sure somebody should tell them that a basic Anti-Virus package will go a long way to protect everybody from potential security issues.

I hope they take it very seriously to protect our personal info which they have diligently harvested for their marketing purposes.

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWILCOX01 wrote:

Actually this is what they have said:

".We have temporarily disabled the ability to upload files to the forums in order to protect our customers/users from a potential security issue. Thank you for your patience while we mitigate this issue."

This suggests that Adobe Webmaster is not capable of protecting Adobe Website from potential security issues such as viruses, Trojans and pirated software.  This is very serious indeed and Adobe should be concerned about this and if necessary launch a full blown investigation as to why this is so.  I am sure somebody should tell them that a basic Anti-Virus package will go a long way to protect everybody from potential security issues.

I hope they take it very seriously to protect our personal info which they have diligently harvested for their marketing purposes.

hth

While attachments have been banned under that warning.the camera button has been working until today for some forums others it hasn't bothered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 25, 2010 May 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, in a perfect world, one would anticipate that users of these fora would be professionals, or at least responsible adults. However, that appears to NOT be the case. I can understand Adobe's concerns, and hope that they CAN plug the holes.

I suppose that scrip-kiddies are just everywhere, and just delight in causing problems. Too bad, as many can use that feature, when it is secure.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines