Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File Attachments

LEGEND ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As my message is about Forum Comments I am posting this here:

I have just noticed that these forums can allow you to insert videos or Images but there is no such facility to attach files.

Attachment of files is very important for Dreamweaver Forums where users can attach their HTML, CSS and related images for helpers to test them out and provide appropriate suggestions.

Can Adobe-Admin please forward this suggestion to the appropriate developer team.

Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

I am under the impression that we are losing too many things "for security reasons", and that this doesn't happen in other sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Apr 07, 2011 Apr 07, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where have you been?

These forums did indeed have the functionality to attach files.  It was then removed, deliberately.

Message was edited by: Tai Lao (edited typo:  attach)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The functionality was removed for security reasons if I remember correctly. We all want the attachment capability restored. Using a 3rd party site for hosting of files is not the best solution, but at least it works for the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am under the impression that we are losing too many things "for security reasons", and that this doesn't happen in other sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichaelKazlow wrote on 11/04/08 17:42:

The functionality was removed for security reasons if I remember correctly. We all want the attachment capability restored.

All but one. I do not believe it is possible to secure file uploads to

the forums as long as IE6 exists and therefore do not want it restored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That may be forever, because my understanding 90+ percent of Asia Especially Red China, use IE6 exclusivey.

Looks like Adobe could setup Spam Seive on the servers or use Baracuda Firewall. On the system. But then it would slow things down even more.  adobe really needs to invest in some additional Servers space. Probably 4 times what they have now. And the need to took them up to T1, T5, Fios or whatever is the fastest current technology.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

All but one. I do not believe it is possible to secure file uploads to

the forums as long as IE6 exists and therefore do not want it restored.

I strongly believe that this so called in the "interest of security" is making these forums a laughing stock.  On Dreamweaver forums, there was a recent thread which contained about 20 messages between the two same people which could have been solved with just three because one person didn't understand what she was supposed to do and the other person kept repeating the same thing over and over again.  If she was allowed to upload her files, I am sure her problems would have been solved almost immediately and she would have felt very happy.

Eventually, she was asked to load her pages on google docs so that the person could make the changes and give it back to her.

People have become very obsessive about security when in fact HTML/CSS files are simple text files.  the JS/Java scripts don't get executed just by clicking on them.  It is just crazy plain and simple!  Adobe should sort out its spam problems before worrying about security on plain text files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 09, 2011 Apr 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do agree that the now lack of attachments really is a handicap, especially in certain forums. When hardware is being discussed, being able to attach a text log file can be a real time-saver. Fortunately, we still have the ability to attach PNG's and JPEG's, so all is not lost. It's just that a text log would be easier, take up less room in the Reply boxes, and only be seen by those, who need to see it. The alternative is for the poster to host the file(s) on their Web site, but many do not such, or have it set up properly.

Sad, but that is the way it is nowadays,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The alternative is for the poster to host the file(s) on their Web site, but many do not such, or have it set up properly.

Yes that is what we are suggesting to the people on Dreamweaver Forums.  The problem is some people don't have a test webserver  to host their "in progress" website and this creates some difficulties.  They post their code but how can you spot the problem area from the code without seeing anything in action?.  We also ask people to put their pages on Google Docs (free version) or Microsoft Docs (free version).  There is also SkyDrive (on Microsoft servers) so we can still manage it but clearly we need something here on adobe for us to click and download it straight away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have created a small .reg file (http://forums.adobe.com/message/3434922#3434922 to remove the Flash Player "kill-bit" from the registry) and hosted it on my own website for download.

However, how "secure" is this???  I could easily have hidden some malware in it, and innocent users would go and install it on their computers!

I remember when the forum attachments were functional, these uploads were quarantined for a short time, until they were scanned for malware.  Wasn't that much more secure than allowing forum users to link to 3rd-party download sites?

I also remember the announcement that attachments were going to be "temporarily" disabled.  When is it going to be reinstated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

I also remember the announcement that attachments were going to be "temporarily" disabled.  When is it going to be reinstated?

When all the too many things that have been temporarily disabled are reinstalled. My guess: when Adobe starts using a different software to manage these forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 10, 2011 Apr 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ʇɐb ɹəuəllıʍ wrote on 11/04/10 03:33:

I remember when the forum attachments were functional, these uploads were quarantined for a short time, until they were scanned for malware. Wasn't that much more secure than allowing forum users to link to 3rd-party download sites?

The measure isn't intended to protect the systems of end users, it is

intended to protect Adobe's systems from (cross site) request forgery

using the browser as the deputy. In terms of security it doesn't make

much difference whether you download from the forums, the Acrobat.com

site or Google docs since the window of opportunity for an attacker is

based on virus scanner update cycles. In all those places the document

gets scanned when uploaded with the malware definitions available at

that time. When a user downloads the file at a later time he has later

definitions and thus a better chance of catching malware.

Besides, who would want to bet the security of his system on these

forums running the latest scanner with the latest definitions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem van Dieten wrote:

Besides, who would want to bet the security of his system on these

forums running the latest scanner with the latest definitions?

After all, it's SO difficult to keep up with virus and malware definitions.  I mean, the system actually has to be kept ONLINE for the auto-updaters to work!

The logical conclusion is that promoting online access at all is a security risk, and that the forums - and indeed Adobe's presence online - should be eliminated entirely.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not separate the systems. Put the forums on independent servers.

Probably the reason the forums are so slow is that they share resources from the adobe.com website

Make the sign in database separate, the Forums on another set of servers, and the adobe.com main site on another set  of servers.

Make everything independent.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Probably the reason the forums are so slow is that they share resources from the adobe.com website

Just a bit of insight...  I'm no longer finding the forums slow.

What's changed for me is that I have recently moved up to a super fast computer, and I have a fiber internet connection.  I suspect this says that the forum software implementation is just particularly inefficient, not that there are problems with the servers.

No fewer than 69 different requests are made of the servers to show the forum top page, and if you clear your cache it takes more than a megabyte of downloaded data to do that.  Most of a megabyte of javascript!  Unbelievable!

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a bit of insight...  I'm no longer finding the forums slow.

I was today using a Spell checker on a very long message and I found that I could not scroll down the message at all!  I am aware that my machine is very slow due to its age and make & model (1998 P III make!!) but I just gave up!.

The message was long because I had to post a code to explain how so,mething can be done in Dreamweaver and I prefer to spell check my messages just in case I have mis-typed things.  The work around was to copy the whole lot on a word doc and check it before posting it back.

I think this can't go on.  Adobe will certainly need a new platform to service its customers unless they want to start losing them!  Microsoft has started losing customers because its Forums are completely useless.  You can't find anything there because they are all over the place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your 1998 Pentium 3 runs at what, a few hundred megahertz?

Today's modern computers are probably 50 to 100 times faster.  That means a spell check that would take you 10 minutes would take a modern machine 10 seconds.

While I as much against inefficient implementation as anyone, I really don't think you can entirely blame what happened to you in this case on Adobe's forums.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really don't think you can entirely blame what happened to you in this case on Adobe's forums.

Yes point taken!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And who would trust the management of a set of forums as busy as these ones to an obsolete piece of software?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2011 Apr 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So explain to all of us why file attachments are still allowed on the international forums

and a few other select forums like the downloads forums.

For "security" reasons, i think not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines