• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

firefox inline spell checking doesn't work in the edit box...

Apr 05, 2009 Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why is that? weird. speeeel [sic] checker in firefox should show up with a red underline when i'm typing input and misspell something. this is just a <textarea> so i don't see why it should be disabled. anything you guys can do to fix it?

thanks, dave

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Apr 05, 2009 Apr 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browser spell checkers work in plain text fields.  The commnt box is a rich text app ergo the browser on board spell check doesnt work.  It will work if you switch the edit box from rt to html; for example.  Its ashame; i prefer the simple browser spell check oer the clunky rich text ver.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 06, 2009 Apr 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Swapping to the non-rich editor unfortunetly breaks line breaks in content 😞

It is also not accurate to say Firefox can't spell check rich editors - I use TinyMCE on my own site, and because I've not *hijacked the right click menu* I can choose 'spellcheck' and it works fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 08, 2009 Apr 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just a note on this, since switching to the html editor as default, the firefox spell checker works great. i'm staying here. it's warm and cozy. 🙂   thanks again curt!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You mean you are using the one with out the tool bar ? carefull, it eats line breaks for no good reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

carefull, it eats line breaks for no good reason.

yea, i see that, if i have more than 1 paragraph of text, it's easy enough to add returns with a quick switch back and forth (as phos said in another thread) between this cool clean text based html view and the bloated sack of protoplasm rich text view...  😉

thanks for the heads up though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

easy also to hold down the left shift key and do a couple quick circles around with your right index finger to type a pair of tags... <P><P>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> hold down the left shift key and do a couple quick circles around with your right index finger

Is that a magic spell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Errrmmmmm ... that's not a pair. That's two opening tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
that's not a pair. That's two opening tags.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<P><P>

</P></P>

there. fixed that for ya. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmm... why don't i have any points to give out in this thread... it's not answered or anything, at least i don't see a star on it... i wanted to give curt a couple more points for putting me onto the html default editor. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Points are awarded by the original poster and only on threads designated as a Question.

The thread is designated as a question when the authro opens the thread.   If its not a question thread, its called a "discussion" thread.  No points are involved in discussion threads.

You can tell them apart in thread view by the little icons.  The blank icons are discussions, the icons with little question marks are question threads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its not a question thread, its called a "discussion" thread.  No points are involved in discussion threads.

aw, boo. 🙂  thanks though. screw the rich text box. gimmie html baby. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines