• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts and browsers

LEGEND ,
May 07, 2012 May 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing a number of comments about the typography of the new forum skin looking wrong (text being cropped, overprinting other text, etc.) and in general it's down to two things:

1. Clear your browser cache to remove any CSS files from the old skin
  2. You are blocking the use of Web fonts (either in your browser configuration or firewall software)

Sorry and all, but the new forums are styled to work only if the downloadable Web font "Adobe Clean" is activated. In the CSS for the new skin we have some @Font-face declarations that try to load this font from the Adobe server, and the fallback is to use your default sans-serif typeface (Arial etc.). Adobe Clean is a narrow width font, so if it's not used the text becomes too wide for the style sheet:

af-fonts.gif

So if the forums look like the image above left, you're OK. If they look like the image above right, you're not loading the Adobe Clean font files and the layouts will be gnarly.

The @Font-face style rules should work on all major browsers (I had to disable them in Firefox to create the screenshot above) but some firewall/AV software and browser plugins can block their use.

If you've cleared your browser cache and are still seeing the incorrect Arial-styled pages, please reply with info about your browser, operating system, firewall software and any browser plugins that might affect styling (accessibility, content-filtering, etc.) so we can work out which combinations aren't playing ball.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Testing in FF 12

Looks like it doesn't exist on my Mac using the latest version. when using the extended editor (Which shows only when editing post not writing a post) All it shows is Arial. not the new font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's OK - the WYSIWYG editor isn't skinned, and allows the user to try to choose their font when you switch to "advanced editor" mode - the default is Arial but I could go mad and type in Calibri, Georgia or the nightmare that is Comic Sans.

Fonts chosen when composing messages are not served as webfonts, so only work if the reader has them installed: If you don't have OCRB installed, this won't look any different to the rest.

The intention is that everything else on the page should use the Adobe Clean webfont family, which aren't installed  - they're downloaded on demand as part of the CSS.

Phillip Jones wrote:

when using the extended editor (Which shows only when editing post not writing a post) All it shows is Arial. not the new font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, I reported font issues, but it's on 1) IE8, on Windows7, but 2) on a corportate network, so it might block a lot of things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My browser shows the left image, but i like the font in the right image much better.

The left looks aliased.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree the right image is much clearer. 

Left image looks almost disjointed.  Maybe it saves on ink.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My aging eyes can read this Verdana font much more easily than the present Adobe Clear we are forced to use. Verdana has been suggested in several previous threads since the change to Jive, but to no avail.

My aging eyes find this Adobe Clear font much more difficult to read than the good Verdana we are no longer offered as a choice. There have been several previous discussions on the legibility on screen of these forums, but all we have got is Adobe Clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I am seeing the last two days.

Screenshot_3_4_13_4_55_PM.png

shat I saw before the fonts wasn't as bold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny. This is what I am seeing in Firefox/Mac, Explorer/Win7 and Safari/Win7:

Fonts.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was seeing what you are until a couple of days ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Forums_ Fonts and browsers.png

I am still seeing this: SeaMonkey/Firefox/Chrome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe the problem is in rendering of the font when not using cleartype. I have same problem with Roboto font in developer.adroid.com site. I use windows 8 and the latest stable version of chrome. My solution is to use a stylish plugin that substitude any "beatufully" fonts with Arial.

fonts.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe will never change the font just use some plugin in yours browsers to substitude site's terrible font. In Chrome I use Stylish.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines