Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forum Help nonexistant

Aug 15, 2013 Aug 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a Flex forum that isn't dead?  The one here hasn't had anwsers in months and the yahoo group related to flex is equally dead.

Thanks,

Jerry

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you talking about the Flex forum at this URL?

http://forums.adobe.com/community/flex?view=discussions

I ask because what I see is completely different from what you say:

Flex.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Notice how many “0” replies there are?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes: 5 out of 9 in 20 hours, quite a lot different from your "The one here hasn't had anwsers in months". Or perhaps you were exagerating a bit?

In any case, these are user to user forums. No participant has any obligation to answer any question, so if a questions receives an answer or not depends on such trivial things as:

• that the question is clear and provides enough information
  • that the question is read by someone who knows the answer
  • that this someone has the time to answer and is willing to do so

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Other than your less than helpful replies, zero replies to the last four questions I've posted.  Generally, I consider zero replies in the current time span as pretty dead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean, when your questions aren't answered at once, you consider the thread as dead, and feel entitled to state that there have been no answers in months no matter how many replies are posted daily? Well, it's your privilege to think as you do, but to me it seems like a most arrogant attitude that won't make you many friends around here. You see, one of the reasons that make people want to answer is to feel that there is something worth answering, and that the questioner has asked at least politely. Perhaps you have failed in at least one of these two counts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 16, 2013 Aug 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Speaking of arrogant, you are setting a fine example.  You don't speak for the forum, yet you feel it is incumbant upon you to do so.  You keep this waste of bandwidth going in post after post as if you had something to add, yet you keep failing to add any valuable content of any kind.

Here is an idea.  When you don't have anything to say, don't say it.  I've been in various forums since the mid-80s and every now and then we get a self-styled forum cop that doesn't want to add knowledge, just a nattering naybob of negativity.

Have a nice day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insults are not tolerated. Any more and I'm locking this thread.

Claudio is totally correct in his explanation of why your questions were not immediately answered, and in that sense he is speaking 'for the forum'. There is no guarantee that a question will get a response. You're waiting for another customer to pass by who happens to know the answer; and that may never happen.

If you need instant attention from Adobe, buy a support ticket. It's what they're there for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>consider zero replies in the current time span as pretty dead

I don't use flex, so can't comment on how much activity there is in that forum

I read/post in some of the Premiere "family" of forums... Premiere Pro, Premiere Elements, Encore

Those are VERY active forums, so it is rare... but not unknown... for a question to not receive any answers

But, as has been stated, answers always depend on some other user HAVING an answer... which does not always happen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, I don't participate in the Flex forum either, but I do participate in the PageMaker one, dedicated to a product that has been officially dead for over ten years. Activity there has been decreasing, but not to the point of not having any anwers in months. That is why I had my doubts about the accuracy of the statement in the opening message of this thread.

Well, on going to the Flex forum and looking quickly at the first two pages of the list of threads, I found that there was in them at the very minimum one answered thread per day, something very different to the categorical "The one here hasn't had anwsers in months". So I posted a screenshot of the titles in the 20 hours previous to my taking it, just to make sure that we were talking of the same forum.

By the way, it is true that the three questions asked that day in the Flex forum by the original poster of this thread hadn't been answered at the time. Sadly, it's also true that they remain unanswered until now, but that doesn't change the fact that the Flex forum is active and receiving answers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jerry,

I don't even know what "Flex" is, but I went to check your threads anyway and I have to say that they are prime examples of the kind of non-informative posts that I routinely skip in the forums to which I do contribute.

The titles are not descriptive, and the lack of information about the OS and your machine is remarkable.  After reading all of them, I don't even know what platform you are on, Mac or Win.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers: 

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In trying to learn something about what Flex is, I've just discovered that Flex is not even part of the Adobe family of products any more:

Apache Flex, formerly Adobe Flex, is a software development kit (SDK) for the development and deployment of cross-platform rich Internet applications based on the Adobe Flash platform. Initially developed by Macromedia and then acquired by Adobe Systems, Flex was donated by Adobe to the Apache Software Foundation in 2011.

No wonder the Flex forum here is not that active.  Adobe probably hasn't even noticed that they neglected to nuke it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't know that, but I found this in the FAQs on the Flex page in Adobe website (adobe.com):

Members of the current Flex SDK development, QA, and product teams are full-time contributors to this open source project. Adobe continues to invest heavily in the ongoing framework and language evolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bet Adobe hasn't even noticed that they forgot or neglected to take that statement down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 17, 2013 Aug 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The statement is still true. Just because the SDK was donated to ASF doesn't mean Adobe stopped working on it; it means that other people can work on it too. Adobe engineers use Flex to build parts of the user interfaces for their own products, so they have a real commercial stake in its future development.

Remember this is only an SDK, not a runtime - Flex generates SWF files. SWF files run in Flash Player. Flash Player is closed-source. If you propose a new feature, you can't make it work without Adobe's collaboration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2013 Aug 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Jerry, as stated earler in the thread, Flex has been donated to the Apache foundation> looking at the project page, I notice that they advertize a mailing list. Did you try asking your questions there? http://flex.apache.org/community-mailinglists.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 26, 2013 Aug 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the reply. I’m in a couple of mail listings. The Yahoo group hasn’t had a message in a long time. The users@flex.apache.org<mailto:users@flex.apache.org> group seems pretty active. I don’t know if that is the same group or not as apache has many mailings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines