• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

forums.adobe.com Server Location

Guide ,
Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the thread where we had idly discussed whether the servers are  located in Minnesota or whether Geotool gives misleading results was lost because it was in the temporary preview forum.  In any event, the search function can't find it.

Keeping in mind that some contributors opine that IP location is not determinative, I still find it curious that Geotool continues to place the servers of this forum at Medicine Lake in the Minneapolis area on an absolutely consistent basis.

It still did a few minutes ago:

Picture 3.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

My bottleneck, to a big degree, is that I'm too much of a power user.

That must be it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And the point is?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Wrigley wrote:

And the point is…

…obviously over your head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Wrigley wrote:

And the point is…

…obviously over your head.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Wrigley wrote:

And the point is?

The purpose of my original post is to revive the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Curt Wrigley wrote:

And the point is?

The purpose of my original post is to revive the thread.

Now Ramón has the hiccups. (posted identical posts 3 times, if you're reading in email and don't see it Ramón)

[added] Sorry... twice, then a different edited copy. Didn't see the difference the first time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, Dorothy.  No hiccups, but two intentional re-postings because it seemed to me that the little tuxedo teenager with censorship powers was making my posts invisible.  Though the numbers of replies as shown increased, the "last post by" on the thread index page kept showing curt Wiggly as the author of the last post until finally you posted.

You had warned me about him. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Nope, Dorothy.  No hiccups, but two intentional re-postings because it seemed to me that the little tuxedo teenager with censorship powers was making my posts invisible.  Though the numbers of replies as shown increased, the "last post by" on the thread index page kept showing curt Wiggly as the author of the last post until finally you posted.

Wait... back up... I ain't takin' that last bit!! I have never said one thing against Curt. In fact I've come to respect him in many ways... most especially for his ability to endure the criticism that is unfairly heaped upon him. If you want to jump on that boat, don't even consider taking me along. I not only am not interested, but I abhor the unfair treatment that I regularly see a very few people meting out. Yourself included at times, sad to say, because I generally have a lot of respect for you as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DorothyK@Adobe wrote:

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Wait... back up... I ain't takin' that last bit!! I have never said one thing against Curt.

Dorothy, I was referencing an instance—not sure if in last month's forum preview—where you jumped in an altercation he had either provoked or encouraged and participated in to warn me (or all the participants) specifically to show more respect for people or faces who were going to be bearing badges and having host powers in the new forums.  I personally took that as an unmistakable warning to me, specifically in regards to my addressing the Wiggly fellow.  That's what I meant by

No more, no less.

His first reply to my totally harmless original post in this thread was needlessly confrontational and for no reason whatsoever, especially coming from anybody who would ever aspire to be considered with the deference and respect due a forum host, ever.  If I was ever treated like that by a human host in real life, a punch in the nose would be the least he could expect.  Hope the guy's not family to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, it's a matter of perspective, I suppose. I saw his query as a request for clarification, not of confrontation.

I know that there are people here who have chosen to make me their enemy and find fault with everything I do and say. Fine. Their choice, their life, their karma. The part that I hate is how it rubs off on others. And Curt, and now others are a victim of the same unwarranted judgments.

I hate cops because they wear the uniform. We all know that all cops are totally bad and out to get us, right?? Same attitude. And wrong. Please be bigger then that.

What I'd said early on was simply pointing out that these are people who have done a hell of a lot for the Adobe community, up to and including knowing the software in their area of expertize well enough to write the books that we buy to teach us and speak at conferences that people pay a lot to attend to learn amd whatever all... and they have been and are going to be around, even if you haven't run into them before... so we might as well learn to play nice together.

Yes, individual respect needs to be earned in time, but, putting yourself in their place... if you introduce yourself by whatever title you've earned (or been awarded) by your hard work and experience, and someone comes along and throws it on the ground and tramples and disrespects it for no apparent reason, and without ever attempting to get to know you before judging you... you have every right not to think very highly of them. I have to give a lot of credit to a lot of the folks from that group for putting up with their welcome as well as they have. It was not, and is not, deserved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DorothyK@Adobe wrote:

… Please be bigger then that.

Again, you mean than

DorothyK@Adobe wrote:

I hate cops because they wear the uniform. We all know that all cops are totally bad and out to get us, right?? Same attitude. And wrong.

Dorothy, I would never refer to law enforcement officials as "cops".  I've worked with hundreds of them for decades, socialized and still socialize with many of them.  My grandson plays with their grandchildren.   I personally know several who have taken a bulltet for another human being.  Would you like me to refer to you as a crone, a hag, a nag or something as pejorative?

Everyone is free to like or dislike anybody, and respect has to be earned.  At this point I have none for the individual we have both been referencing.

On a different subject, the cursor sometimes disappears in this reply box.  I can continue typing, but I have to have a darned deal of confidence to know where the letters are going to appear, or disappear if I need to delete anything.  I've typed this whole post without ever seeing a cursor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was at school we had a game called "Cops and Robbers". It wasn't pejorative, we wouldn't have known a pejorator if he jumped out and bit us.

We also have the more modern term "Good cop – bad Cop". The good one can't be bad can he?

There are plenty of really offensive terms for members of the police forces but "cop" isn't one of them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

There are plenty of really offensive terms for members of the police forces but "cop" isn't one of them!

What? ???

You mean like Kr@ut is not offensive to a German, or Cöön to an African American, K¡pper to an Englishman, or R@ghe@d to an Arab…?

We try to like Pömm¡es from Perf¡d¡ous Alb¡on, but it's such a hard sell…

If it's offensive to the person, it's pejorative.  Period.

It's certainly pejorative to get anybody who utters it thrown out of my house.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it's offensive to the person, it's pejorative.  Period.

I disagree.

Wordsand phrases are pejorative if they imply disapproval or contempt.

If such is not implied, as I believe it would not be for many people using the word 'cops', myself incldued, then it's not pejorative.  If a cop takes it as such, then he really needs to get a thicker skin.  (Someone with a gun really should not be that touchy.)

This is very much different from the racial and ethnic epithets you referenced, where they most often are used to imply contempt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S.

I had the same question as Curt.  What's the point here?  (Not having seen any earlier threads on the subject.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DorothyK@Adobe wrote:

I hate cops because they wear the uniform. We all know that all cops are totally bad and out to get us, right?? Same attitude. And wrong.

Dorothy, I would never refer to law enforcement officials as "cops".  I've worked with hundreds of them for decades, socialized and still socialize with many of them.  My grandson plays with their grandchildren.   I personally know several who have taken a bulltet for another human being.  Would you like me to refer to you as a crone, a hag, a nag or something as pejorative?

Everyone is free to like or dislike anybody, and respect has to be earned.  At this point I have none for the individual we have both been referencing.

On a different subject, the cursor sometimes disappears in this reply box.  I can continue typing, but I have to have a darned deal of confidence to know where the letters are going to appear, or disappear if I need to delete anything.  I've typed this whole post without ever seeing a cursor. 

Ah, so you fully understand my point then... (or than... whichever way you prefer. Makes no never mind to me. As long as most people know what I mean. I've got other nits to pick, very few of which have to do with spelling or grammar.) Cops are by and large good guys (non-gender term) and it is not a word that has negative connotation... just a very informal term.

For the record, you joined in the trampling when they were first introduced. Perhaps sometimes it would be well to choose a different leader to follow now and again. And, ya, as always, if people say negative stuff about people over and over again, whether it's true or not, it is going to influence other's opinions in very unfair and unjustified ways. Or do you really think that people in the Experts group are all as bad as they've been made out to be? Or that Curt is really as bad as the first impression left you feeling?

In any case, is it any more unreasonable that we ask respect as the default for the people that Adobe has given that status to then you expect for anyone working in law enforcement?

I like my html straight up... don't like sites that sing and dance. This has gotten to be one. The cursor thing is one symptom.

I will take the pagan meaning of Crone from wikipedia, and accept it, since I am clearly on the other side of motherhood, and yes, sometimes I can be a nag. Hag I'd quibble about.

• The Maiden represents enchantment, inception, expansion, the promise of new beginnings, birth, youth and youthful enthusiasm, represented by the waxing moon.
  • The Mother represents ripeness, fertility, sexuality, fulfillment, stability, power and life represented by the full moon.
  • The Crone represents wisdom, repose, death, and endings represented by the waning moon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DorothyK@Adobe wrote:

… Or that Curt is really as bad as the first impression left you feeling?

No, my impression of him has been deteriorating gradually, steadily over time, sort of like an overripe banana.  (Hey, you asked!) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that neither Dorothy nor Curt are featured on the Adobe Community Expert list, their badges notwithstanding.  I went there to look for the books they have authored, as per Dorothy's remarks above (http://forums.adobe.com/message/1884775#1884775)

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/all.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Interesting that neither Dorothy nor Curt are featured on the Adobe Community Expert list, their badges notwithstanding.  I went there to look for the books they have authored, as per Dorothy's remarks above (http://forums.adobe.com/message/1884775#1884775)

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/all.html

I am not aware of the process Adobe has for updating the page you refer to. Perhaps I never filled out the right form.   I am the author or two Adobe Classroom in a Book's for PPRO and also a technical writer on their ACE certification exams. I have been a contributor here since 2001.   I am an Adobe Certified Expert at Adobe's invitation, I have ACE certification, I help moderate the adobe community help system, produce adobe online tutorials, written articles for various video magazines,  like to fly ultralight aircraft and am due to be a grandfather any day now.

I aplogigize if I have offended you Ramon.  I, like most people here, am here to give back to the adobe community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 12, 2009 Apr 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the courtesy of your reply, Curt.  It had escaped me until just now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 12, 2009 Apr 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt...

You should change that 'avatar'. It really does make you look like an upstart bean counter...

Cheers and ATB,

JJ

PS: No offence meant....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know that there are people here who have chosen to make me their enemy and find fault with everything I do and say. Fine. Their choice, their life, their karma.

Apparently, it is your Karma.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so once we get over hte sidebar, what IS the point of this thread? does it matter where the servers are? should we get out our tinfoil hats or something? i don't want to be left without my foil hat on... i'll put it on just in case... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

so once we get over hte sidebar, what IS the point of this thread? does it matter where the servers are? should we get out our tinfoil hats or something? i don't want to be left without my foil hat on... i'll put it on just in case... 😉

Well, I'm in Wisconsin... the next state over from Minnesota... and it's slow for me too. I can't say that being closer makes it quicker. Tho it may well go back through California before it comes back to me. Dunno.

My bottleneck, to a big degree, is that I'm too much of a power user. I almost alway have the Windows Task Manager open so I can keep an eye on the use of resources. I tend to max them out on a regular basis.

One question I haven't asked is how hard of a resource hit the new forums take on our systems compared to the old. I know that mine is hit pretty hard, even this one that has 1.5 gig of ram. The 256 mg machine they have for me at work starts smokin' by late morning, and I usually have to shut down Firefox and restart it so it can release some memory. NEVER had those kinds of problems in the WebX forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My bottleneck, to a big degree, is that I'm too much of a power user.

That must be it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines