• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Forums Working Like Before Computers Were Invented.

Oct 14, 2009 Oct 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If my children ask me what life was like before computers were invented I will send them here. Before computers you were at the mercy of your own memory as nothing was saved anywhere unless you wrote it down, and that may have been misplaced or blown away by the wind. You also had to wait, maybe a week or a month, before you would see cousin John so you could ask him a question about something. You might forget what it was you wanted to ask cousin John by the time you ever saw him again, things might have changed anyway. Before computers things were slow, incredibly slow, but nobody knew they were slow because they were too busy drinking a real milkshake at the soda fountain and didn't want to rush thing anyway.

In conclusion, the forums are not all that bad, just have a real strawberry milkshake and enjoy,

Ken

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 14, 2009 Oct 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't remember seeing any free wi-fi signs hanging in a Kresge malt area.

Java was coffee.

Jive was slang talk in the inner city.

Forum was at the local city hall or church.

Maybe forums may be used less in the future. Like e-mail is starting to be replaced with facebook, twitter, texting to name a few.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Oct 15, 2009 Oct 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They would be fine if they worked like DinoForum 0.1 beta.  The T-Rex dev team only had the resources and brain capacity to implement the basics, which is all we really need here!

That and "point systems".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What, you have 230 points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya know, it was like 2 years ago that high speed internet was finally made available at my house via DSL....we still can't even get cable!

I'm just lucky this site loads at all at home, even if it does take an hour to do so lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ya, but we can bomb the moon.

Ozzwoman9 wrote:

Ya know, it was like 2 years ago that high speed internet was finally made available at my house via DSL....we still can't even get cable!

I'm just lucky this site loads at all at home, even if it does take an hour to do so lol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dec9 wrote:

What, you have 230 points.

Well once that converts to dollars courtesy of Adobe or Jive, I'll support it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't know for how many I have.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

430. Hover over your username for a popup.

BTW

+1 Jive Bug ! I hovered over PJ's name shortly after hovering over my own username and I saw MY profile information, not his.  Nice job you Jive morons.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, your right.

I put my mouse over my name it shows my name. Fine

Put the mouse over PJ's and it shows my name. Then go back to my name and it shows PJ.

Even showed my name when I went over yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried what you (both) said and regardless of how I did it you names first or mine, Mine showed  my name and each of yours show the correct one. If you are using Windows machine might be a window/Adobe/Jive bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 16, 2009 Oct 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure PJ, honestly I've seen it before but never reported it (who has the time for ALL these bugs?), and I also have a very hard time reproducing it reliably.

So do I expect Jive "Snake Oil" Software to be able to fix it?  (ahahaha...)

It's probably some Ajax and JavaScript related crap.  Maybe something to do with timing or Ajax calls that haven't come back yet, just a guess.  Every browser has subtle variations in their JS engines and I'm on Chrome which I'm sure you're not using.  Not really the easiest thing to troubleshoot and fix, but that's Jive's problem since they decided to use hack technology to build their Jiveware crap, no wonder it works so well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem here... all names / profiles showing correctly... Winows XP / FF 3.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FireFox is now up to 3.5.3

(Please note information is given by an Experienced User of Acrobat. I am not an employee of Adobe.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea for a disclaimer PJ, we should all put one up like that.

(Please note information is given by a user that is not the one person "with real technical knowledge relevant to the forums operation".)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

PjonesCET wrote:

FireFox is now up to 3.5.3

i know....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines