Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grawlix...

Engaged ,
Jul 14, 2009 Jul 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@#$%&?!!!

“What does one call the use of random non-alphabet  characters to indicate cursing? It’s a universally understood device, and is  applied in both graphic and textual settings. It is such a commonly accepted  staple that I assumed it must already be defined and described — but apparently  it’s not.”

But it is! The term is grawlix, and it looks  to have been coined by Beetle Bailey cartoonist Mort Walker around 1964. Though  it’s yet to gain admission to the Oxford English Dictionary, OED Editor-at-Large  Jesse Sheidlower describes it as “undeniably useful, certainly a word, and one  that I’d love to see used more.”

In case the link above doesn't work, use this:

http://www.typography.com/ask/showBlog.php?blogID=122

And before certain people jump on me for the relevance of this in a post in the "What's wrong with the forums?" forum it's just this... Most of you use these symbols instead of the actual words/alphabets. Just thought you'd be interested to know that there is a word for it...

JJ

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

!@^%!@~~!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cold-cured Salmon.  Mmmmmmmmmmhh!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines