• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How about a "Search this forum" feature instead of only "Search Forums"

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2010 Apr 21, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are a few Adobe Forums I visit regular. I often use the search function and would like to search only in the forum I am visiting at that moment. Currently we have to search in ALL 560 or so forums and have the option to fine-tune the search by searching and selecting the forum in a huge unhelpful ordered list. This isn't convenient.

So hence my request: could we please have a "Search This Forum" search box (besides the current "Search Forums" in the top right)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you take a look at the FAQs?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/424191?tstart=0

Or at previous threads on the subject, like this one?

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2306738?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What the FAQs describe is what my complain/request is all about.

The old thread you mentioned didn't result in any action on the side of Adobe, so maybe it deserves some more attention (/pushing) by another thread on the same topic?

> Or at previous threads on  the subject, like this one?

> http://forums.adobe.com/message/2306738?tstart=0

You are right of course but *lol* this is the exact reason I want to have a more convienient search option in the first place

So Adobe PLEASE do us all a favor and come into action and improve the search facility already

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, unfotunately this is just one of the things about which many participants have been complaining for months without any visible result...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I of course do not know how it was done, but some of the Premiere forums have a "Search THESE Forums" box (emphasis mine)

http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm interesting, so maybe the trick is to ask at the individual forums for that feature with a link to how it's done on the Premiere forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

What you need to do is ask the moderator helper of the forums you visit to add this capability.

I assist with the Captivate and RoboHelp forums and have added the functionality to them.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/robohelp

http://forums.adobe.com/community/adobe_captivate

Implementing it isn't all that bad and is often helpful to the participants.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way as a work around for the forums I most frequently visit I created shortcuts in this way:

Do a search, select the desired forum, search, clean up the resulting URL (remove e.g the actual searched phrase) and add that link to my browsers favorites or drag the link to the desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which forum are you talking about?

I came up with the custom search widget very recently, so a lot of forums dont have them yet...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

E.g. the 'Text Layout Framework'. The good news I requested it there a few minutes ago (per my onw advise in this thread) and it was added a minute ago (thanks Alan).

I hope to see your search widget on all forums soon, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can thank Alan Stearns for that one (Text Layout Framework). He just asked how to add that earlier today and I put it in place for him (faster/easier than describing how to do it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Harbs. Indicates, this is not a feature available in Jive Clearspace. No matter how much we want it, it doesn't exist.

However, Harbs. Came up with a workaround that can be added manually to individual forums and we've been adding it to some of the busier forums and to some others upon request. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to do this globally, so it is taking time to roll out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2010 Apr 22, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

However, Harbs. Came up with a workaround that can be added manually to individual forums and we've been adding it to some of the busier forums and to some others upon request. Unfortunately, there isn't a way to do this globally, so it is taking time to roll out.

I would ask you to add the Illustrator forum to the roll out list.

I am not sure whether it is considered one of the busy ones; I find it rather busy. And there are many repeat questions, so we miss the large number of FAQs in the days of the fair forums. We waste quite a lot of time trying to find old threads, or  more often give up and waste time on answering the questions anew, even in cases with recent similar threads.

Last time I asked you for a change of default to current forum, it was global, and it was in place within a few hours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Added to the Illustrator Forum. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Added to the Illustrator Forum. Thanks!

I cannot see any box with the option as the one in post #2, neither in the Illustrator forum main page, nor in the Illustrator forum (the one with the shortest name in the Illustrator  forum group). And the search in the latter still gives hits from all forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see it in the Illustrator Forum at http://forums.adobe.com/community/illustrator/illustrator_general

I just tried a search on the term photoshop, and it only returned items from the Illustrator forum.

illustrator.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, John.

It was not there when I looked before posting, but now. Very nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2010 Apr 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to tick the Overview tab to get it showing. That changes the name of the Bookmark (or Favorites or whatever else it my be called in other browsers). After that, I changed the name of the Bookmark, so now all is well.

Thank you again, John.

It may be worth considering a roll out af the message about the File Attachments Temporarily Disabled announcement, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attachments have been banned in Mac Acrobat forum, FeedBack, and Forum Comments for about two three months now. Where have you been. if you go in through web (but not if you get email announcements about the disabling of attachments) you see the announcement about attachment feature being "temporaily" remove.  sure miss using attachments when you trying to show something to someone that would take 500 words or more otherwise. And have to use the snapshot tool (camera) makes everything look indistinct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is good news, but we shouldn't have to request this to get it.

It should be in the Flex forums, it's one of the more active ones for sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury,

To get it right, each forum search should be individualized. That takes knowledge of which forums have related content, so it's best done by users of the particular forum.

If you give me a list of the individual forums that should be searched, I'll put the widget up there. (i.e. should ActionScript be searched? Flex in a Week? Tour de Flex? etc.)

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see, very cool - well this is certainly debatable but here's my suggestion:

1) Primarily "Search this forum" for the very active Flex general forum, the others aren't so big and shouldn't be a priority.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/flex/flex_general_discussion

and the AIR forum:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/air/air_general_discussion

2) "Search all Flex forums" (hitting all of these: http://forums.adobe.com/community/flex?view=overview ) makes sense also.  Basically anything under the >Flex category, to keep things consistent and simple.

3) If we can have a third search, it might be pretty cool to have one that hits all of these forums ("Search all Flex-related forums"?):

All here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/flex?view=overview

Both here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/flash_builder

AIR:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/air/air_general_discussion

AS3 (thank you Adobe for splitting this off from AS1+AS2 😞

http://forums.adobe.com/community/flash/flash_actionscript3

There are other potential choices but they might be pushing it so I'd start with those.  I'd give you a list but copy/paste isn't cooperating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, Flex search is enabled now and it works great, good job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2010 Apr 25, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was someone else who did that. I just added a widget to the main Flex page: http://forums.adobe.com/community/flex?view=overview

It searches the following forums:

ActionScript 3,
ActionScript 1&2,
Flex,
Flex in a Week,
Flex SDK General,
Flex SDK Developers,
Tour de Flex,
Flex Learning Paths,
Flex 1.5,
Flex 4 archives

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 26, 2010 Apr 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well either way, it's nice, and should definitely be helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines