• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I sell a digital copy of Photoshop CS6?

Oct 27, 2012 Oct 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, I'm interested in selling my copy of PhotoShop CS6 as I no longer have need of it. It's an all-digital copy, and I already understand about the process for transferring ownership of the Product Key on Adobe, by submitting Photo ID, etc. etc..

My question is, HOW do you sell the copy? There is a marketplace forum on here, but it seems to have no buying/selling going on that I can see. Is there somewhere people go to sell unwanted Adobe software? Thanks very much for any help you can provide!

Edit: I'm asking this because obviously, selling on eBay or Amazon is not an option for someone with a legitimate copy. So, does Adobe provide users with a way to carry out these transactions safely? Or can you sell only to someone you actually know in the physical world and who therefore knows they can trust you?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2012 Oct 27, 2012

As far as I know, Adobe does not have a place to sell used software... so you are limited to eBay or similar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, Adobe does not have a place to sell used software... so you are limited to eBay or similar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks. A lot better than the vague help questions on the site here.

Unfortunate, though -- it seems like a fairly major pain this way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well... Adobe is in the business of selling new software... not in providing a place for individuals to sell used software

Since you do not have a boxed product, so all you are selling is a serial number and license transfer form, I will guess you will have a hard time finding a buyer... unless you put a REALLY low price on the item AND you have a high number of positive eBay comments so a potential buyer will know you are not a scammer

As you said, you may need to find someone for a face-to-face sale

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazon sells, new, old or used software. But the Used software is sold through private vendors and the Saying "Caveat Emptor" (Buyer beware) is in order. research the Sellers' ratting and read some of the comments.  If they have less and 4 star rating move on to another. I wouldn't buy from less than a 5 star rated vendor.  The old software if sold by amazon is where the bought up old versions that put out  just before new versions came out. I bought one piece of old Apple Softwre for an older machine I had it was still in the factory shrink Wrap.  You could contact Amazon about how to get on their vendor list. Amazon has a 200 times better reputation than eBay.  I wouldn't buy or sell a pair of sox on eBay.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2012 Nov 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T Smith wrote:

Well... Adobe is in the business of selling new software... not in providing a place for individuals to sell used software

Here's an idea for Adobe: Open a certified 2nd-hand marketplace site for your software. That way the buyer can have Adobe's guarantee that they're buying a legal copy from the legal owner, Adobe can keep track of the licenses and make sure the product is de-activated from the seller's computer(s) before being sold, and they can even collect 10% off the purchase fee (which is up to the seller and buyer to agree upon). Everyone wins...

The best would be, of course, if you could download the installer directly from Adobe and just purchase the license (which is what you buy anyway), and that way there won't be a need to deliver the actual media with the installation files from the buyer to the seller, which can get damaged on the way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a Great idea. When will you run for CEO Postion at ADOBE??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a Great idea.

Great idea though it may be but he forgot the fact that there is no market for second hand software.  People don't buy second hand software.  They might buy old versions but they want them shrink wrapped package.  that is how human mind works especially for very proud people.  I never buy anything second hand.  Everything has to be brand new!!.  EBAY is completely out of my browser window!!.  Never visit that horrible site!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great idea, but I also think impossible to implement by Adove itself.

Imagine you make and sell a software for certain amount, then you have marketplace with used ones. Instead of earning from new purchases you would get only 10% of whatever price someone want to sell it.

This is the reason I opted for Creative Cloud one app, the cheapest option ti get PrPro while awaiting CS6.5

I will upgrade from current Suite CS6 to Master CS6.5 and cancel cloud.

I tried to sell my suite but no one wants to buy. If I upgrade to Master now it would cost me $1600 in Japan (CS5.5 to CS6 Master)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2012 Nov 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a Great idea. When will you run for CEO Postion at ADOBE??

Thanks for the offer, but I rather take 0.1% off all the sales of licenses off that site... 🙂

there is no market for second hand software.  People don't buy second hand software.

People don't want to buy second-hand software because they're afraid of getting ripped off and because there isn't (yet) a certified way of doing it. If you could buy it directly from Adobe, with the guarantee that it's a legitimate product, and not off some shady website or eBay, wouldn't you consider doing it? I think that in the current economic situation many people would like to have a version that isn't the very latest, but is still working well and for a fraction of the cost.

And to say that people don't want to buy second-hand stuff is frankly ridiculous. Just off the top of my head I can think of books, cars, houses, electrics, cloths, etc., etc. It's a multi-billion dollar market, and in this case we're talking about digital products, so there isn't even the issue of it being "used". It's just ones and zeros...

Imagine you make and sell a software for certain amount, then you have marketplace with used ones. Instead of earning from new purchases you would get only 10% of whatever price someone want to sell it.

It's not an either/or situation, I don't think. The top-end of the market will still want to buy the latest versions of the products at full price, but all the smaller users will be happy enough with a somewhat older version, for a much smaller price. Also, it would make upgrading to the latest version easier. Imagine you have a license for Acrobat 7. Right now, you have to buy a new full license of Acrobat 11 if you want to upgrade, there's no other option. With this site you could buy an upgrade to Acrobat 10, and then later on, if you wish, upgrade again to the latest version at that time.

Not everyone needs the very latest version of every app each time it comes out... And for Adobe it could mean a more steady stream of income, instead of in bursts when the latest CS or Acrobat is released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can sell it through EBay and keep a copy on your hard disk just in case your customer wants to download again!!!.

[which would be illegal - admin]

One thing you shouldn't do is to keep using it on your machine; though, I doubt anybody would be interested in version 6 when the current version is 11.

Selling it on EBay is a legitimate option for most people.  I flog off most of my old software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS6 is the most current version you can get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote:

PS6 is the most current version you can get.

Photoshop CS6 is actually PS13.

PS13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry that what I meant was CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2012 Oct 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought you may have.  It was more of a correction to 'professional.pirate' who stated that the current version is 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2012 Nov 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Actually it might be hard to sell digital copy. Amazon has reputation, but I`ve read recently a lot of complains about non resposnive cutomer service, which in case cannot help the buyer.

The price is very important too and first of all you have to ensure potential buyer that this is legit copy and you won`t be using it. I was searching for the best price for Production Premium CS6 Win in Box and was wondering how it comes that some shops on the net sell for only $980? On Amazon itself as low as $1,099. I asked 2 vendors on Amazon and 2 off Amazon about it. All they told me was "it`s real Adobe DVD-ROM in sealed box". Yeah! Everyone can say that.

I say again, if your price is good you might be able to sell it, but you must do more than simple answer "yes, it`s legit"  Good Luck 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This topic is 10 years old. 

Most modern computers can't support legacy software anymore.  The activation servers for older products have been shut down. So vintage software is neither usable nor collectible. 

Discussion locked.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines