How seriously do we take this point system?

Engaged ,
May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, do points matter? Do you want them? Why if so, why, if not? Are points any good? Do points make you feel more secure? Are points pointed and sharp or are they blunt and blunted? Do points encourage you to answer questions or do they discourage you?

Points are not a line... but connecting two pints makes a line... So do points awarded in an answer draw aline and stop all further discussion?

I've been following threads in DW General and AI General. I notice that threads, by and large, stop far sooner than they would have. I put that down to the lack of participants for various reasons and the 'Correct' answer flag. So much knowledge and information is not being shared.

True, a lot of the posts came from the NNTP side... but a lot also came from the web side... these forums are killing all spontaniety.

However, the killers are:

1/ Lack of NNTP

2/ Points

3/ Correct answers

I really only watch the Illy forum (and lately this forum as well) but what I've seen is that the rating system really matters for a few  (5?) of the regulars over there, who are now posting answers for every single question that comes up.  The quality of answers has gone up, but only from those 5 people who are shooting for the leaderboard...

Is it a problem?  I don't know.  It's decreased the variety of responses, but it's also increased the quality...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How seriously do we take this point system?

Engaged ,
May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, do points matter? Do you want them? Why if so, why, if not? Are points any good? Do points make you feel more secure? Are points pointed and sharp or are they blunt and blunted? Do points encourage you to answer questions or do they discourage you?

Points are not a line... but connecting two pints makes a line... So do points awarded in an answer draw aline and stop all further discussion?

I've been following threads in DW General and AI General. I notice that threads, by and large, stop far sooner than they would have. I put that down to the lack of participants for various reasons and the 'Correct' answer flag. So much knowledge and information is not being shared.

True, a lot of the posts came from the NNTP side... but a lot also came from the web side... these forums are killing all spontaniety.

1/ Lack of NNTP

2/ Points

3/ Correct answers

I really only watch the Illy forum (and lately this forum as well) but what I've seen is that the rating system really matters for a few  (5?) of the regulars over there, who are now posting answers for every single question that comes up.  The quality of answers has gone up, but only from those 5 people who are shooting for the leaderboard...

Is it a problem?  I don't know.  It's decreased the variety of responses, but it's also increased the quality...

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 19, 2009 0
Advocate ,
May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

threads, by and large, stop far sooner than they would have.

I still maintain this was a deliberate aim of the system.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2009 0
Advocate ,
May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can definitely say that "answered" posts do discourage me from answering. Even if I have something to contribute, it seems to me that it's less likely to be read or seen, so why bother?  Or you may have a better answer--yet the first crummier one gets singled out. 

It's just not an improvement in practice.  Most changes aren't--that's why most companies, inventions, ideas, policies, and so on fail.  That's why people have a natural instinct to oppose change, most of us know instinctively that it fails more often than not.

The concept of "forum points" has been around for years. It has had it's chance, and it's been largely rejected by the market.  If it were genuinely helpful, every help, tech, or whatever forum would have had it implemented by now, and that's the bottom line.  Jive is just a semi-pretty looking (highly marketable) piece of crap.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was all pointed out during the trial period and has been repeated literally dozens of times since.

Nobody likes it   —   It has no advantages to anyone   —    it can be abused by anyone    —   it annoys the hell out of me!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2009 0
Advisor ,
May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMHO...

No. No. N/A. No. No. Neither - they are pointless. Neither.

No.

I think the threads stop sooner due to the amount of time it takes to read and reply to anything via the Web. And the email system isn't ready for prime time, so it's no help.

1/ Lack of NNTP
2/ Points
3/ Correct answers

1. AGREE
  2. Disagree. I don't think the point system kills discussions. Who outside of this forum pays attention to them?
  3. Possibly AND;
  4. Poor email implementation
  5. Poor Web performance

[Edit]

I said the email system is no help. It does help in one way. I am now using it to pick up reading from my last unread message in a thread! Sort of. The feature so blatantly missing in the Web interface itself. Still, it requires toggling between email client and browser. I was using Opera to avoid that, but my Opera emails are the ones that go into auto-repeat.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2009 0
Mentor ,
May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I take the point system so seriously that I feel it it is my duty to start free point threads so everyone can share the wealth.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2009 1
Enthusiast ,
May 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so has the point system been re...

ah, nevermind. what's the point...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 19, 2009 0
Advisor ,
May 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go look at the Illustrator forum.  People over there are taking them seriously enough that they are arguing over them!

(can I have the ten?)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2009 1
Engaged ,
May 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesseham wrote:

Go look at the Illustrator forum.  People over there are taking them seriously enough that they are arguing over them!

(can I have the ten?)

Haven't been there for the last couple of days but i don't remember the points being a hassle there? Any links? There was an idiot in the DW forums who was asking for points and slandering folks such as Al Sparber, who went out of his way to help said idiot (just before NNTP was shut off). I guess he got rebuked 'cos he packed his tent and vanished for a while. Back now tho'.... KIssiau or some such name.

PS: Here's five... i'm not feeling generous at the moment

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2009 0
Advisor ,
May 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing that bad...  Really, people are just reminding the OP to give them points and defending their answer as the correct one despite a second correct (alternate) one being offered by someone else. 

No one over there has their second meatball yet...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 21, 2009 0