• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to get back my old ‘screen name’?

Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

Since long ago, I had an ‘Adobe WEB account’ used to log to these (well, the old ones) forums. Recently, I had to create an ‘Adobe ID’ and link the old account to it. This combination created a complication with my ‘screen name’. When I created the new ‘Adobe ID’ I could not use my old ‘screen name’ because it was in use - yes, it was, by my old web account -, so I used a different ‘screen name’. Now, I guess the old account is gone, but I cannot change the ‘screen name’ back to what it was before: I’m STILL told the old ‘screen name’ is in use!.

So, my question: how to get my old ‘screen name’ back?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Apr 11, 2009 Apr 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your only options would be to try to find a variation that isn't taken.

For Example:

If you can't use JohnSmith, you could try:

• John_Smith
  • JohnSmith_
  • .JohnSmith
  • John-Smith
  • JohnnySmith
  • John•Smith

...et cetera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think your only options would be to try to find a variation that isn't taken.

That’s what I already did, when I created the new ‘Adobe ID’. However, I still want to get back my previous screen name. I did check the list of user of these forums (note: it was a pain), and my old screen name it’s there, so it has to be available. I’ll wait, maybe one of the hosts will have an idea. Or maybe there’s another place to ask this question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fact that it's there could mean someone else has it, I think. Strictly as an Adobe ID when that was nothing to do with forums of whatever flavour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SaGS (id) : … and my old screen name it’s [insert: NOT] there …
Kath-H : The fact that it's there could mean someone else has it, I think.

Sorry, it was a typo in my previous message (I have forgoten the negation). My old screen name is NOT in the list of users, so it has to be unused.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If its not  there try logging in under that User Id and use the password you used under that name

Also, try logging in under your email address. See what happens. Turns out for me it uses my Userd ID I used under the old WebX newsgroups.

If I loggin using the very same user ID I end up signing in under an old Macromedia account for DreamWeaver I haven't used in 4-5 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I did try to login using the old credentials, but I got an ‘Adobe ID and password do not match’ error. I get the same error if I type random characters for the ‘Adobe ID’, so it could actually mean ‘no such account’ too. There is also the complication that my old password contained extended characters (char codes > 128); I could not use those in the password for the new ‘Adobe ID’ I created.

I also tried the ‘Did you forget your password?’ prodedure using the old ID, it seemed to work OK, but I got nothing in my inbox. There are already 2 days since I did that, so there’s plenty of time for the mail to have arrived (and yes, I did check the ‘Spam’ folder). I am sure the email address was correct in the old account, because I did get there the notification about the forum changes and the need to create an ‘Adobe ID’ before the switch or I’ll lose don’t-know-exactly-what.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines