• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to limit a search to the forum I'm currently looking at

People's Champ ,
Mar 28, 2010 Mar 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was not able to find a way to limit a search entered at the top right of a forum page to the forum I'm currently looking at. Is there a way to do this?

I know I can use "More Options" in the search panel presented after initial search, but

1. I am currently looking at a specific forum and I know that I want to confine my search to exactly this forum when I start the search
  2. It is almost impossible to find a specific forum in the list presented under More Options, due to its "strange" hierarchy (e.g. try finding the Lightroom 3 Beta forum in there).

Thanks for any hints.

Beat Gossweiler

Switzerland

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 29, 2010 Mar 29, 2010

I agree with you. That drop-down list was to be modified, but that seems to be on the back burner.

What I meant with "let it populate," was that when one first initiates a Search, to the right, there will be a list of "finds" on your search terms, but those will include every forum in Adobe. Now, if your Search criteria are refined enough, you might get some good threads there, but something like "PDF+Image" will get AI, PS, Acrobat Pro, Acrobat Reader, and probably many more. This takes a few mo

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using Firefox, you can install this Greasemonkey script: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/53705

It's also possible to add a widget for searching a specific forum(s).

Whoever the moderator is on the forum of your choice can add it if

it's wanted. Contact your forum moderator...

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Mar 29, 2010 Mar 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harbs,

Thanks for this hint, but I don't want to install anything special just to perform searches in these forums (sorry, I'm somewhat conservative here).

Thanks, Beat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beat,

First, type in your search criteria. Let it populate and then look to the bottom of that list, below the Search box. Click Show All, and you will get an "advanced" screen, to the left of the page. There, you can choose Other Options, and then scroll down the list of Adobe fora. Not as easy, as some sites, that do that part for you. Also, you can then Filter by People, if you know who posted to the thread. Unfortunately, you cannot choose several fora, like Premiere Pro AND Premiere Elements.

Personally, I find Google to be a better choice. Once one has the criteria plugged in, they should see the Adobe fora in the upper hits. Most often, some threads with the search criteria will show, and often there'll be an active link for more Adobe fora.

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the_wine_snob wrote:

Unfortunately, you cannot choose several fora, like Premiere Pro AND Premiere Elements...

Actually you can. If you Command/Control click on items in the forum list, you can select which non-contiguous forums you'd like to search. Shift click will select contiguous items as in most lists in most operating systems.

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harbs,

Thank you for that. I had tried with IE7, and it would not "take." Maybe I need to try with Google Chrome.

Appreciated. Hope I have learned something today, even if it's 7:00PM here in the High Sonoran Desert. Gotta' learn something new every day. Hope that I will soon stand corrected.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunt,

Thank you for your hints, but I'm not sure what you mean by

the_wine_snob wrote:

... Let it populate and then look to the bottom of that list, below the Search box. Click Show All, and you will get an "advanced" screen, to the left of the page. ...

When I'm entering a search term here

ScreenShot_Search1.jpg

nothing happens until I click on the loupe to search.

Or are you talking about the search panel that appears after the initial search as in this screenshot:

ScreenShot_Search2.jpg

The problem with the forum list presented here is that it is very difficult to find a specific forum in the somewhat intransparent hierarchy (as I mentioned, try to find e.g. the Lightroom 3 forum).

Beat Gossweiler

Switzerland

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with you. That drop-down list was to be modified, but that seems to be on the back burner.

What I meant with "let it populate," was that when one first initiates a Search, to the right, there will be a list of "finds" on your search terms, but those will include every forum in Adobe. Now, if your Search criteria are refined enough, you might get some good threads there, but something like "PDF+Image" will get AI, PS, Acrobat Pro, Acrobat Reader, and probably many more. This takes a few moments, and at the bottom will be the "doorway," to View All (or similar syntax). Choosing that will bring up the Advanced Search dialog.

Now, if Adobe/Jive could only be given the intelligence to limit Searches to the forum, from which the Search was initiated... Maybe in my lifetime?

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 30, 2010 Mar 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2273900#2273900

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines