• EspaƱol
      • FranƧais
      • PortuguĆŖs
  • ę—„ęœ¬čŖžć‚³ćƒŸćƒ„ćƒ‹ćƒ†ć‚£
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to stop "live" updating of forum topics?

Participant ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequently use the Adobe Photoshop Lightroom forum, but lately I've noticed an extremely irksome  behavior: i.e., that the forum's list of topics (as shown on my screen) suddenly "jump" about every 15 seconds--evidently because the topic list is automatically being updated to show the very latest posts. This incessant "live" updating of the forum contents makes it difficult and quite frustrating to simply read the list of posts and/or to make a selection from the topics. This unwanted behavior happens on the desktop monitor as well as my mobile devices, so I assume it's a behavior intrinsic to the Adobe Forums rather than my computers.

How frustrating it is to attempt to click on a particular post and find that the spot you were trying to hit has suddenly jumped away, and so you hit something you didn't "aim" for!

I've searched for an option to disable this "feature" but haven't found a way to do it. Surely there must be a way to eliminate the behavior--it doesn't seem to be an issue on any other of my forums but Adobe's. Not a better idea, IMHO!

Phil

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

I think the jumping you're talking about has to do with the announcements posted in the forum.

There are three current in Lightroom, the second of which is longer than the other two, causing it to wrap to a new line. The system is configured to automatically scroll through the various announcements, so you have a chance to see each of them.

Because the second announcement is longer, when it switches between #1 & #2, and when it switches between #2 & #3, you'll see a jump up or down in the page.

May

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never seen it do that. 

I wonder how it's triggered, though I'm led to wonder whether maybe it's a glitch in the logon process that's causing your browser to just refresh incessantly.

Or maybe it refreshes every time someone accesses your account with the info that was stolen from Adobe. 

Can you share the exact URL of a page on which you see it do this?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the jumping you're talking about has to do with the announcements posted in the forum.

There are three current in Lightroom, the second of which is longer than the other two, causing it to wrap to a new line. The system is configured to automatically scroll through the various announcements, so you have a chance to see each of them.

Because the second announcement is longer, when it switches between #1 & #2, and when it switches between #2 & #3, you'll see a jump up or down in the page.

Maybe a little hard to tell with these screenshots, but each screenshot below is the same height (385px). Other than merely seeing that the second announcement wraps to a second line, if you look in the lower-right, you'll note that the "New Features" link is closer to the bottom of the screenshot for the second announcement.

annc-1.png

annc-2.png

annc-3.png

Check it out, and let us know if this doesn't explain the jumping that you're seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha, good call, Carey.

I tend to normally use fairly wide browser windows, so those rotating announcements are always one line.  If I narrow the window down it goes into "jump every so often" mode as the announcements rotate, just as described in the OP. 

A number of other things go wrong with the layout as well when one makes the window narrow too...

Maybe you should consider increasing the minimum width a bit?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Your reply got me recalling that I'd originally noticed this as an issue on my iPad; but when I checked recently to verify that the same thing was going on when using my desktop monitor, I just happened to be using an unusually narrow browser window. But  as you noted, if my browser window is simply kept wider (than about 1200 pixels), the jumpiness goes away. That's a nice, easy fix...at my desktop.

However, there's no way to "go wider" with my iPad (even though it is used in landscape orientation), so this problem persists there. I suppose it will fix itself from time to time, temporarily, when the announcements become closer in length.

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, thanks, that's exactly it (something my wife helped me to figure out soon after I posted yesterday). For a while I thought a workaround (to the cycling/screen-jumping effect) is to just click on the "Show Details" option in the announcement box, which "expands" the announcement and seems to stop the cycling; however that's just temporary as it becomes resets to its original behavior each time you view a post and return to the forum topics page. So that's only a very partial solution...

Phil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines