• ķ•œźµ­ ģ»¤ė®¤ė‹ˆķ‹°
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to view forums by date, not "Trending Questions"

Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2013 Jan 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to view forums by date, now they appear in order of "Trending Questions"  so that a discussion that has been inactive for three months now appears before a discussion from a day ago.

Is there a way to get back to the way it should be (by date), or must I live with this poorly conceived "upgrade?" I searched in my preferences and profile, but can't find a way to change this.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2013 Jan 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You first need to click on any trending questions and then at the top you see see something like this:

http://tinyurl.com/aypwqf6

You can now click on the Discussions to enter the main page that is in date order..

This is something Adobe staff got it wrong and now they don't know how to correct it.  this has been discussed on the forums without any results or feedback from the hierarchy.

Hope this proves useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 19, 2013 Jan 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works. That's good enough for me. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "trending questions" list is actually in reverse chronological order. If you are seeing older threads at the top of the list of trending questions it probably means that someone has edited that thread or moved it from another forum space into the one you are looking at. Editing an old thread will pop it back up to the top of the list, even if there isn't new content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would think thar "reverse chronological order" is what the OP meant, but with all the threads. And I also think that that's what most of us coming every day would like to see. I also think that the "trending questions" listing  isn't really useful for a newcomer: his/her question will not necessarily be a "trending" one, so it won't be in the list, but it might be in the "all threads" view. However, as we all know, most newcomers never stop lo look at the already posted questions, so that what view they get wouldn't make any difference.

If I am right, why not make life easier for those trying to help, then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio GonzƔlez wrote:

I also think that the "trending questions" listing  isn't really useful for a newcomer:

Does anyone use Trending Questions or is it just me that finds it merely clutter? Perhaps I'm missing out on some useful way of using the forums.

I just bookmark view=discussions for every Adobe forum to which I subscribe. That works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also never see that page as I have a bookmark to discussion page.  But think the page is supposed to help the first timer.  Comments I have received say

1.  Dump the Trending Questions as they are of no use.

2.  Make the Start a Discussion more prominant

3.  In place of Trending Questions have "How to Ask a Question" which is now a seperate link that nobody uses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

2.  Make the Start a Discussion more prominant

I agree with making it more prominent but the wording is jargony and baffling to most newbies who just want to ask a question - not start a discussion.

Changing the wording to something more obvious like "Ask A Question" will help most newbies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 20, 2013 Jan 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Waller wrote:

Changing the wording to something more obvious like "Ask A Question" will help most newbies.

Ask A Question is already used for the local forum search.  I think this should be changed too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

Ask A Question is already used for the local forum search.  I think this should be changed too.

That too is misleadingly labelled and unintuitive.

Should be labelled "Search this forum" or similar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not being a native English speaker makes me hesitant about suggesting wordings. Just in case, "Post a new question" and "Search in this forum" seem quite clear to me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio GonzƔlez wrote:

Just in case, "Post a new question" and "Search in this forum" seem quite clear to me...

Seconded. Clear and intuitive.

Anything's better than the current obfuscated wording.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio GonzƔlez wrote:

"Post a new question" and "Search in this forum" seem quite clear to me...

Seems clear and quite an improvement over existing verbage (garbage?) to me also.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if there4is any intention of improving this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

Terri Stone was going to call me about this issue first part of January.  She sent me a note that she has been reassigned and her replacement will contact me when settled in.  We will see and hope for the best.

curt y

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cross my fingers...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cross everything you can physically cross. Fingers, Hands, Legs, Toes, eyes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure Terri's replacement will reach out to you to provide more info on this when they are "settled in" as you put it.

To give some perspective on this:

The pods labeled "Trending Questions" are actually all using the "Recent Discussions" widget of the Jive forums. The choice to give these pods the custom label was not made by me, but I understand it was some kind of design decision. (To note, in any of the forums that I help to manage, I typically change this label back to "Recent Discussions" since this is technically what the pod contains.)

As adobe-admin mentioned above, if you are seeing threads not in reverse chronological order (i.e. newest first), then it indicates someone either moved or made an edit to the thread that is out-of-place.

I know the Discussions tab (?view=discussions) shows more information about each thread than the Trending Questions (i.e. Recent Discussions) pod, but I am curious:

With the knowledge that they should be listing exactly the same threads in the same order, is there anything that you specifically prefer about the Discussions tab over the way the threads appear in this pod?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From comments I have recieved from users the "Trending Questions" heading confuses them.  They do not know what this means and which forum  the Trending Questions came from. 

Confusion would be lessened if it was labeled "Current (Forum name) Questions".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

If you (or others) think of anything else regarding this, please reply.

And keep the feedback coming about anything else that has direct impact (negative or positive) to you, or the users you help, with regard to using this forum. (Of course, please start a new discussion if it's about something else. It's much easier to keep track of suggestions and feedback that way. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditch the Trending question permanently in any form.

Set up an archive server. Any items on any of the forums that have not seen any life in two weeks should be dumped on this Server.

The archive server and the main server should not be tied together.

Do anything in the background to streamline efficiency.

I Comcast.net Blast Service (the fastest consumer available, the fastest available is Business class). and Frequently it takes 1 - 1.5 minutes or more to download before you put the kibosh on the Trending. you cut the time by 75% just dumping that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To sumarize the thread as I see it.

1.  Change "Start a Discussion" to "Post a New Question" and make more prominant.

2.  Change "Ask a Question" to "Search this Forum"

3.  Add "How to Ask Question"  a. Short description of problem in title  b. Operating System  c.  Product and version  (ok, I added this part).

4.  Change "Trending Question" to "Current Discussisons in XXXX Forum".  Change to look like Discussion format.

5.  I would like to see a direct link to Discussion page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2013 Jan 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

To sumarize the thread as I see it.

1.  Change "Start a Discussion" to "Post a New Question" and make more prominant.

2.  Change "Ask a Question" to "Search this Forum"

3.  Add "How to Ask Question"  a. Short description of problem in title  b. Operating System  c.  Product and version  (ok, I added this part).

4.  Change "Trending Question" to "Current Discussisons in XXXX Forum".  Change to look like Discussion format.

5.  I would like to see a direct link to Discussion page.

1. +1
  2. +1
  3. +1
  4. +1
  5. +1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can we please, please, pretty please get that "Ask a Question" changed to "Search this forum"?

BTW, I am a moderator of some Adobue forums, and I can tell you that we as moderators can change pretty much EVERYTHING  else about the layout of these forum pages except that we CANNOT change that box's wording. It seems to be something that only Adobe will be able to do, and perhaps across all forums.

Even so, I can't imagine there is anyone who would complain if this was changed. There are SO many forum discussions, blog entries, tweets, and real life discussions where people complain that the current wording (using "ask a question", for what is the "search the forums" feature, but only apparent once you start to type). I'm sure it must seriously hamper the value of the forums for many, many users.

/Charlie (troubleshooter, carehart.org)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Mar 22, 2013 Mar 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Typical Adobe Logic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines