• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I hate it!@#$!

LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2009 Jun 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not the first time that it happened to me, but it will soon be the last time, as I cannot stand this sort of thing much longer!

I have just answered a plea for help in one of the product forums, with several links to KB articles and other resources.  Reread the whole thing, then click [Post Message].

Some red message appeared, that I have no right to post in this forum -- I had been logged out!

Needless to say that using the browsers 'Back' buttons did not bring my post back!

Needless to say that I did not retype my reply!

That 24 hours login cycle is not by itself stupid - in fact other forums have that as well.  But - but! - other forums log you out 24 hours after the last usage/presence, not 24 hours after login! ← That is stupid!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2009 Jun 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup.

It's not the point system that makes me give short answers, it's the logout.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you had simply went back to the question after Login, hit reply. At the top you would have seen a yellow box indicating that there was some text saved of something along the lines.  if you had click yes on the question do you want to use.  at least part of you typing would have appeared.

I do agree with you about the sudden log out.  I have posted a suggested  a time or to to impliment a timer sytem that counts the time between clicking reply and post message and alow say 5 minutes or maybe even 10 minutes to finish your typing before logging out. You'd have 5-10 minutes to finish your post even if over the log out time. It would reset at next login.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the top you would have seen a yellow box

Not every time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a timeout earlier today. Once I timed out, I logged back in using a second tab to the forums I had, and then went back in the first tab--my text was still there.  This is in Chrome, not sure if that will apply for all browsers.

Or...did I hit back first and then login using the second tab, and then post? heh Something like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posssibly.

Though I've had it come up every time for me. But I followed this method:

typing a response get kicked out (logged out)

Since I use SeaMonkey I go login, Then go back to email notification and click same link then click reply. always shows up the yellow message at top. (for me.)

I click yes. If it was a short post, all the text typed returns. If I had posted a long post, all up to a certain point (limited space in cache file stored in) returns. I just have to remember the rest, and retype.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The back button doesn't always work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

The 'Back' button will go "back" and reinitialize an empty input/reply box.

I will check next time if there is something yellow that brings my text back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 05, 2009 Jun 05, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This GD FORUM won't let me type below this quote in my browser, for some reason, so I'm writing above.  %#@$ YOU JIVE!

Ahem, anyway.. that's not what happens when I hit the back button when using Chrome. It retains the next, or at least it did once.

pwillener wrote:

Ansury wrote:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 06, 2009 Jun 06, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Feel free to blast me if my question sound stupid. But that never stopped me?

How are you invoking the quote?

If I type a reply then click quote button, then click quote button that's excatly what happens.

If on the other hand I click quote first, then type reply. See here I deliberately typed first then quoted

Ansury wrote:

This GD FORUM won't let me type below this quote in my browser, for some reason, so I'm writing above.  %#@$ YOU JIVE!

Ahem, anyway.. that's not what happens when I hit the back button when using Chrome. It retains the next, or at least it did once.

pwillener wrote:

Ansury wrote:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Feel free to blast me if my question sound stupid. But that never stopped me?

How are you invoking the quote?

If I type a reply then click quote button, then click quote button that's excatly what happens.

If on the other hand I click quote first, then type reply. See here I deliberately typed first then quoted

Ansury wrote:

2nd paragraph) Read this part second (this paragraph was supposed to be below the first), because the other problem is when I hit enter to add a few newlines... the extra lines end up !@#$ing above where my enter cursor was!  Sometimes.  Other times (not sure when yet) if I hit enter it does add the extra lines below, but it doesn't move the !@#$@%& input cursor down to the last line as well, so I have to hit arrow keys to move down.  I'm getting tired of hitting enter over and over and using cut/paste tricks just to get my damn text in order on this POS.  I swear this thing is the biggest piece of trash forum software I've ever seen in my life.  And I am not exaggerating one bit, I'm not even trying to be funny.  It's even worse than the Yahoo groups forums....arrrrrrrgh!!!  So I guess I'm back to using Chrome again... funny how the lowest market share browser seems to work the best huh.  If it wasn't for the humor and goofing off on this forum I'd probably have blasted off and left in anger to go to the only other good alternative forum for me--a crummy Yahoo groups forum.  I still may...

1st paragraph)Usually I click the stupid "quote" button before I type anything.  In Opera, if I then try to add text below the quote (like where I'm typing now), it sometimes (these Jived up forums are unpredictable) puts the text I'm typing above the quote even though I clicked below it to add text.  This works fine in Chrome or IE (if this crap ran at a reasonable speed in IE), it actually behaves differently depending on your browser.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry for the readability problems. And yes this paragraph was typed after hitting enter twice, after I typed the below sentence. Screw those Jive bastages!  Even the simplest most basic idiot testing would have revealed this problem.  I'm surprised nobody else has seen it.

And if we had a forum preview function, I'd have realized that it's hard to tell the first from the second paragraph from above because I'd have noticed the effect of font size on the narrower text area here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have also seen that yellow box. Unfortunately, of the 3 times I have used it, in 2 I only got back the first few words of the messages, which was for all practical purposes the same as nothing. On the other occasion, I got back about 3/4 of a longish message, which was useful. And I have just remembered of a fourth time, not very recent, in which everything was restored.

As this seems to indicate an automatic safety backup system, it would be helpful if the interval between backups was shortened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using FireFox there's  a clever little plugin called Lazarus that works like a charm, it remembers form content and you can go back to recover your carefully crafted prose.  More info in this thread, post #5:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/432245

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the tip, Sheila - I will try it out.

P.S. anyone else interested in this plugin: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6984 or http://lazarus.interclue.com/index.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested Lazarus, and it works fine - once you find out how to use it!

The trick is, not to right-click inside the form box, but somewhere outside (while the cursor is inside the form box). This way I can get the 'Recover Form' prompt from Lazarus.

Thanks again for a very useful tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now if they just had a version for SeaMonkey That's FireFox with the Mail/news Component added (what was called Mozilla and before that Netscape Comunicator).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines