• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I have answered, but didn't get points (Adobe forum)

Apr 29, 2009 Apr 29, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe Forum,

I have participated in Indesign Scripting forum, I have answered Exporting to INX question, they have accepted my answer, but i didn't receive points.

Regards,

Sudar

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bummer, huh?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, Dave.

Another case in point: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/425955?tstart=0

Summary: OP asks "Is there any way to...". Respondent #1 replies, in effect, "No. Dumb question." Other respondents reply with clever workarounds, none of which satisfies OP. OP awards respondent #1 10 points for the "correct" answer.

I love it when the system works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<Joshua>A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?</Joshua>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heh, heh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also answered lots of questions and not gotten any points.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sudar1983_14 wrote:

Hi Adobe Forum,

I have participated in Indesign Scripting forum, I have answered Exporting to INX question, they have accepted my answer, but i didn't receive points.

Regards,

Sudar

I doubt seriously, the OP even knew they could. I don't get satifaction out fo points anyway. I just enjoy answering questions, and making comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't answered any questions in weeks because I do not want any of the pointless POINTS from these now pointless Kiddie-Forums!

I just looked in to see if anything had improved.

It hasn't.

And the level of discussion (of which this thread and its OP is a prime example) in all of the Forums just becomes more inane by the day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Points, or a simple "thank you that works"  have the advantage of acknowledging the OP has read your answer and it has helped.  

So many times after spending considerable time answering the posts, sometimes multiple times over a period of weeks, the OP says nothing.  So you never know if the problem was solved, they lost interest and never read post(s), or your suggestions never worked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

curt y wrote:

Points, or a simple "thank you that works"  have the advantage of acknowledging the OP has read your answer and it has helped.  

So many times after spending considerable time answering the posts, sometimes multiple times over a period of weeks, the OP says nothing.  So you never know if the problem was solved, they lost interest and never read post(s), or your suggestions never worked.

in the old forums the OP would come back and say "Thank you, dave"...

I would usually respond "No problem. You're welcome."

without the capital letters, of course.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

in the old forums the OP would come back and say "Thank you, dave"...

I would usually respond "No problem. You're welcome."

Those are the most rewarding exchanges. Points-schmoints for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. Plus a couple mentioned in other threads.

1. A new person starts answering questions. This person has more experience than anybody else on the planet and has been correct in every post, but because they had never answered before, s/he still has 0 points. Or far fewer than somebody else who gets points from newbies for partial or even incorrect answers.
  2. I am getting points in forums where I seem to know my stuff. If I show up in a different forum where I am a relative newbie, what in the heck do my points mean over there?

Points-schmoints.

Maybe OK for Jive's typical clients (inter-office communication?), but IMO, more harmful than beneficial in user-to-user support forums.

Points-schmoints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jive's typical clients

I think that, in itself, is at the root of most of our troubles. We are not Jive's typical clients in any way. (And I'd love to have my pick of Verdana stick because I'm often too lazy)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

curt y wrote:

So many times <snipped> the OP says nothing.  So you never know if the problem was solved, they lost interest and never read post(s), or your suggestions never worked.

You still won't... if an OP doesn't come back to say 'Thanks", what makes you think he'll come back to award points?

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sudar,

Some of us have tried really hard to avoid the whole pointless point concept, for reasons such as mentioned here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I gave you some anyway, so there Maybe you can donate them to charity, I haven't found any other use for them. Do we get air miles?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What Dave said: it was much nicer in the days of the fair forums.

And what was said in this thread from the last days is still true:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1133276#1133276

Unfortunately, the reference links were broken when the fair forums fell into the abyss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines