Highlighted

I used to champion these forums. Now I don't give a gnat's...

Contributor ,
Jul 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was a contributor, a corrector, a clarifier.

I'd write 1,500 words explaining every possible angle on the simplest of topics, sometimes revealing tricks to people who have far more experience with Photoshop than I do. I exercised painstaking detail in choosing the proper terminology and phrasing when answering questions, and I'd test everything to make sure what I posted was correct. I was an obsessive re-editor of my posts if I noticed the wording was wrong, or didn't flow well. I'd craft screen shot composites so clean you couldn't tell they weren't monitor images that could occur natively. I added arrows, and numbering, and translucent, colored-box paragraph backgrounds for descriptors, colors chosen for the best clarity I could muster. I'd bodge together difficult GIF animations and QT Movies if it would help a user understand a concept more completely.

I was a defender, a protector, an evangelist.

I took it personally when newbies and spammers would come in and muck the place up. I was sometimes brusque, other times gentle in trying to bring people into line with how to get the most out of their time here. I beat up on troublemakers ruthlessly, and without remorse.

I brought the "How to Get Help Quickly" mantra to this forum after reading it elsewhere, because it was the best exposition I'd ever seen on the subject of efficient information exchange.

I'd take the time to help troubleshoot forum problems.

Now, I don't give a crap about what happens to this place. I'd been hoping for the best, as I had during past attempts at major forum changes.

It's clear to me now that the planning, preparation, roll-out and fine tuning has been doomed from the start.

Every single person involved in ramming this new system through is to blame.

And I'm only one person. I'd guess there are hundreds of people who feel the same way I do.

Too bad, Adobe. You totally and completely screwed up.

I'll still visit once in awhile, because there are people here that I like.

But as for all that content I was giving away for free—and happily, I might add—and all the cheerleading I did for this place?

You can shove all that right up that gnat's arse and then go sit on your own thumbs and spin.

It feels to me like you are intentionally doing almost everything in your power to discourage the type of participation I used to revel in. From slow bug fixes and promises unkept (EFF you very much, Jive–shysters) to the mere trickle of ongoing feedback and update info offhandedly tossed to us, Adobe have become slumlords, slapping paint on a building that fails to meet standard-of-living code. Sure, there are some decent new features, but they either don't work, work only part of the time, are cumbersome, and generally regarded as so slow as to inhibit any sort of lively momentum.

I'd be ashamed and embarrassed to be the captain of this rotting ship. As a fully vested, ranking mate on this vessel, I hereby resign my commission.

You don't deserve my help anymore.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

I used to champion these forums. Now I don't give a gnat's...

Contributor ,
Jul 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was a contributor, a corrector, a clarifier.

I'd write 1,500 words explaining every possible angle on the simplest of topics, sometimes revealing tricks to people who have far more experience with Photoshop than I do. I exercised painstaking detail in choosing the proper terminology and phrasing when answering questions, and I'd test everything to make sure what I posted was correct. I was an obsessive re-editor of my posts if I noticed the wording was wrong, or didn't flow well. I'd craft screen shot composites so clean you couldn't tell they weren't monitor images that could occur natively. I added arrows, and numbering, and translucent, colored-box paragraph backgrounds for descriptors, colors chosen for the best clarity I could muster. I'd bodge together difficult GIF animations and QT Movies if it would help a user understand a concept more completely.

I was a defender, a protector, an evangelist.

I took it personally when newbies and spammers would come in and muck the place up. I was sometimes brusque, other times gentle in trying to bring people into line with how to get the most out of their time here. I beat up on troublemakers ruthlessly, and without remorse.

I brought the "How to Get Help Quickly" mantra to this forum after reading it elsewhere, because it was the best exposition I'd ever seen on the subject of efficient information exchange.

I'd take the time to help troubleshoot forum problems.

Now, I don't give a crap about what happens to this place. I'd been hoping for the best, as I had during past attempts at major forum changes.

It's clear to me now that the planning, preparation, roll-out and fine tuning has been doomed from the start.

Every single person involved in ramming this new system through is to blame.

And I'm only one person. I'd guess there are hundreds of people who feel the same way I do.

Too bad, Adobe. You totally and completely screwed up.

I'll still visit once in awhile, because there are people here that I like.

But as for all that content I was giving away for free—and happily, I might add—and all the cheerleading I did for this place?

You can shove all that right up that gnat's arse and then go sit on your own thumbs and spin.

It feels to me like you are intentionally doing almost everything in your power to discourage the type of participation I used to revel in. From slow bug fixes and promises unkept (EFF you very much, Jive–shysters) to the mere trickle of ongoing feedback and update info offhandedly tossed to us, Adobe have become slumlords, slapping paint on a building that fails to meet standard-of-living code. Sure, there are some decent new features, but they either don't work, work only part of the time, are cumbersome, and generally regarded as so slow as to inhibit any sort of lively momentum.

I'd be ashamed and embarrassed to be the captain of this rotting ship. As a fully vested, ranking mate on this vessel, I hereby resign my commission.

You don't deserve my help anymore.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jul 12, 2009 0
Guru ,
Jul 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About sums it up.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 12, 2009 0
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a sad day when greats like Phos + four Dots hangs up his hat.  This fourm has taken a step down in quality of answers with his loss.

In the old forum I always clcked on his responses, even if it was a subject I really was not intested in, becasue I knew there would be a well written, detailed explaination of a complex problem.  He seemed to excell in that, and stayed away from the one line responses like "reset your preferences".  You, and others like you, made the forum educational rather than just a "how to fix a problem in under 3 lines of text".

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 12, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Jul 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't help but wonder if any Adobe Suits really give a damn!

I can't think of a single recommendation that was made during the beta period that was actually taken into account when this mess was officially forced down our throats.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 12, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Jul 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the Adobe suits even look at forums.

I doubt serious those types that sit with the $600.00  Patent Leather shoes up on the $20,000 Mahogany Desk, and the Armoni suits and smoke foot long Havana Cigars, and drive around Bentley, or MB  or the other fancy cars. Even know about these forums. and would give a .... whether they even exist or not.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 12, 2009 0
Mentor ,
Jul 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

bye Phos,

Since Macromedia's aquisition of Adobe its been down hill ever since.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 12, 2009 0
Enthusiast ,
Jul 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wish i could grant points to a topic originator. <sigh>

wait, on second thought i wish i'd never heard of points.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 12, 2009 0