Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Installing CS3, resources and extras?

New Here ,
Jul 15, 2009 Jul 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was lucky enough to be gifted an unused copy of CS3.  I've installed installer 1 and 2 disks, and seem to have the complete program.  I'd like to install the "resources and extras" but these don't automatically install.  What is the best procedure for making use of resources on these disks?

Thank you for any help!

Pamelaviolet

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back to the intaller and if it will let you do a Custom install.

when you do a custom install there will be all the items tha can be install the one chec ked by default are the one installed in a normal install to run the applications.

but the might be some unchecked

if so check those and uncheck the one already checked so it just installs what is left off.

In some cases there is an installer in each of the resource folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Go back to the intaller and if it will let you do a Custom install.

when you do a custom install there will be all the items tha can be install the one chec ked by default are the one installed in a normal install to run the applications.but the might be some unchecked

if so check those and uncheck the one already checked so it just installs what is left off.

In some cases there is an installer in each of the resource folders.

That's not correct. The installer will install the program in the default configuration. In this state it is fully functional

The "goodies folder" contains a whole load of different things, from discontinued plug-ins to Registry hacks, and some Stock Photos.

Each of these can be installed manually, at the user's discretion. None of them are necessary and most people don't need them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Notice I said See if there is a Custom installer.

Many applications Have a Standard install, that installs just enough to make the application work for most people. Then they have a Custom Installer to install all the bells and whistles. Others the "goodies" have theiir own installer. Then some are like you describe You have to figure out on your own what you want to install and where.

And your right in most cases what's installed by the standard installer. usually is suficient for the majority of people.

I tend to be one of those types that do the full install to install every bell and whistle there is, I never know when I might need the feature that's added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I do want bells and whistles also, thank you both for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wrong forum, Pamela.

Product questions will not (or should not) be answered here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Product questions will not (or should not) be answered here.

While that is the ideal case, i definitely will answer a product question here – if i have the answer – while pointing the OP to the relevant forum.

After all, these are forums to help each other. Not to get your knickers in a twist over minor issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might help if you stated what/which CS3 it is... That way, someone could at least point you to the correct forum for an answer...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might help if you stated what/which CS3 it is... That way, someone could at least point you to the correct forum for an answer...

My question was not about an individual program within CS3, but rather the entire suite install.  This is why I didn't go to a specific program forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pamelaviolet wrote:

My question was not about an individual program within CS3, but rather the entire suite install.  This is why I didn't go to a specific program forum.

Go here:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/creativesuites

In future, please also post as much info as you can:

Windows / Mac

Which Creative Suite? CS3, CS2, etc. (One your posts mentions CS3 and CS2 in the same breath.) Also, Design, Design Premium, etc., etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pamelaviolet wrote:

Don't worry some people don't read that well.  

And everyone is grumpy because the new forum software that we are stuck with is seriously flawed.

(PJ is still giving bad advice by the way  .)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 16, 2009 Jul 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JJ wrote:

And everyone is grumpy because the new forum software that we are stuck with is seriously flawed.

Well, since I just entered yesterday and did not encounter the old forum software, I can't speak to the history.  However, I have several observations:

1. the other forums here I've explored seem to have low activity.

2.  some of the people who are posting are a "bit" rude.

3.  there is some discussion of many long-time members leaving due to various things, some relating to forum software and bad behavior/management by Adobe

I don't know if these forums can have any affect on Adobe management.  I'm a bit surprised to find they are so cavalier toward long-time customers who are providing a service.  However, in the big scheme of things, management is very akin to "administration," and in my experience with college administrators I've decided  that very few or none are concerned either with the "product," or those who produce it.

I've certainly encountered snarly grumps in the past.  They are usually best ignored.

Regarding my "conflation" of a question about CS3 (the whole suite) and CS2 -- I HAVE CS3. CS3 seems to lack some resource files that WERE available in CS2 (which I do NOT have).  I'm a bit mystified why a new suite would offer LESS instead of MORE.  I'm curious to know if these files are available anywhere for a legal, registered user to access.

I hope I have stated my question clearly enough, and now await ritualistic snarly grumping directing me to go elsewhere, but not telling me where Else is.

Pamela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is sad but I just google what I need to look for in the adobe forums. Much faster and I don't have to navigate the adobe forums. I gave a response to the PS CS2 templates in your other post. Here it is again in case you don't go to that thread.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=2961

pamelaviolet wrote:

JJ wrote:

Well, since I just entered yesterday and did not encounter the old forum software, I can't speak to the history.  However, I have several observations:

1. the other forums here I've explored seem to have low activity.

2.  some of the people who are posting are a "bit" rude.

3.  there is some discussion of many long-time members leaving due to various things, some relating to forum software and bad behavior/management by Adobe

I don't know if these forums can have any affect on Adobe management.  I'm a bit surprised to find they are so cavalier toward long-time customers who are providing a service.  However, in the big scheme of things, management is very akin to "administration," and in my experience with college administrators I've decided  that very few or none are concerned either with the "product," or those who produce it.

I've certainly encountered snarly grumps in the past.  They are usually best ignored.

Regarding my "conflation" of a question about CS3 (the whole suite) and CS2 -- I HAVE CS3. CS3 seems to lack some resource files that WERE available in CS2 (which I do NOT have).  I'm a bit mystified why a new suite would offer LESS instead of MORE.  I'm curious to know if these files are available anywhere for a legal, registered user to access.

I hope I have stated my question clearly enough, and now await ritualistic snarly grumping directing me to go elsewhere, but not telling me where Else is.

Pamela

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a bit mystified why a new suite would offer LESS instead of MORE. I'm curious to know if these files are available anywhere for a legal, registered user to access.

As more advanced features are added to the major applications, some of the older features become redundant or obsolescent and, to keep the overall size of the program in bounds, these are "retired". They are removed from the installation package.

For the benefit of those who don't like progress, these are usually made availabe in the Goodies folder on one of the installation disks.

Also some things are kept available on the adobe web site. Because the site is such an unwieldy maze of obscure side shoots they are not easy to find.

That's the trouble with big companies – they can't afford to maintain decent web sites.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 17, 2009 Jul 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the benefit of those who don't like progress, these are usually made

availabe in the Goodies folder on one of the installation disks.

Also some things are kept available on the adobe web site. Because the site

is such an unwieldy maze of obscure side shoots they are not easy to find.

That's the trouble with big companies – they can't afford to maintain decent

web sites.

Well, AHA. This is what I've been asking for since I first erroneously

posted here. I did check the "goodies" folders and was soundly

disappointed, and have dug around the adobe site and have found the

"sharing" area where people share templates they've made, but not the

special package of handy resources, templates, and stuff which I found in

CS4, and which people have said was also available with CS2.

Perhaps Adobe should hire my son to do their website. I've discovered some

12 year olds are better at this technology than adults with college degrees.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave is not laughing at you. He is laughing because no truer words have been spoken, and you are most likely right. You also need send some 10-12 year olds over to Jive maybe they could get some bugs fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was mainly referring to leaving out features like Extract and Contact Sheet in Photoshop.

And, we have since discovered in your other thread that the templates were not left out anyway.

I couldn't find your posting in the ID forum.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the forum I went into:

http://forums.adobe.com/community/design_development/design

I had already researched and looked into the common files/adobe for

templates, and they are NOT there.

I don't know which "other" thread you're speaking of. As a new user, who

can quite possibly make mistakes in the learning process on this forum, I

find myself having to defend even asking my question. When I've asked in

the "wrong" place, the response doesn't tell me where to go, it just says

I'm in the wrong place. That's not remotely helpful, it's merely snotty.

I've taught college students online for 9 years. Dealing with 60 students

online when approximately 40 of them are computer illiterate is a trying

process -- take my "error" here and multiply that times 40 students times

about 10 errors (or more) over an entire semester.

I'm kind of disturbed to discover that when I need a bit of assistance from

people who do have the knowledge I'm seeking, I'm met with quite a bit of

impatience. I do appreciate the helpful responses I HAVE received, however.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know which "other" thread you're speaking of.

Have a look. Even the people who wanted to help were getting confused!

pamela.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not say in that forum that I had found templates. I said I was

looking for them.

I also apologized for posting there.

I apologize for posting here. OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No need to apologise. I think I mentioned earlier on that these forums are very confusing.

The only problem was that you didn't mention at the outset that you were looking for InDesign templates or that it was an educational version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The question was answered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It should not have been.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

It should not have been.

Why?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines